PDA

View Full Version : Tanking AoE threat problems gearing issues/specing/gems

mpc91193
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if i could get some tips for tanking. i started tanking about amonth ago but got discourage because everyone want a ez mode tank for heroics. so i wanted some pointers on specing/geming/glyphs ill put my armory for inspection
i am def soft capped!

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&n=Maxis)

link was broken for abit is working now!

mpc91193
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
nothing ive heard great things about tankspot and im getting concerned

Aggathon
12-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Well the problem is because you're so new someone could write you a novel on things based off of your armory and what you want to know from the aforementioned subjects. The best I can suggest for you at the moment is to go through various posts of other people asking questions, the Frequently Asked Questions forums, and the theorycrafting and gearing forums and read up on as much as you can. I think Cider has a quick beginners guide somewhere. There's also a basic warrior guide video somewhere.

Read up on as much as you can today. I'm about to get off of work, but when I come back to work I'll answer any specific questions you have if you can't figure them out after reading through tankspot for a little.

dirt
12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
TS is a great place for help. Aggathon is dead on, there's a ton of info if you vest a little time to look it up.

But, I'll get the ball rolling for you of somethings I see right off the bat.

First, lets talk about your spec. My advise is, to re-spec. You have points all over the place, but are missing some keep talents.

I'd personally go with a 15/3/51 build. In the arms tree, your ok, although I would loose the 1 point in Anger management. In the fury, don't worry about Cruelty, but you certainly need Armored to the Teeth 3/3. And finally in the protection tree, you need to shift somethings around. You don't have any point in 1h Specialization, that should always be 5/5 and 2/2 for Gag Order.

I'd consider a build similar to this: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=1&tal=3502000023000000000000000000000300000000000000 000000000000053351225000212501230113321)

Some thing like Focus rage you could swap for Imp Def Stance. But thats a pretty solid Deep Wounds build imho.

Your glyphs are ok, but I'd recommend adding Glyph of Blocking, maybe trade out for Cleave or Revenge.

Your gear needs some work, I wont lecture but there are alot of Rep pieces that you can easily pickup. I'd concentrate on those. Loss the Frost resist gear, it maybe epic quality but the stats aren't going to help you for entry level tanking. That gear is situational. Your sitting at 536 def, your fine for heroics but if you want to do raiding, needs to be 540 at a min.

Also, loss the parry gems. Never gem for parry. Also, I'd suggest you change your meta gem from the blocking meta to the one that gives you 2% increased armor from your items. And get some better trinkets, I'd suggest the Essense of Goshermer from H. AN. if you can swing it. But, you'll probably need to upgrade some other pieces first before you hit that.

That's alot to digest I know, but you have alot of areas that need some work. I'm sure other people will chip in with advice, but thats a good starting point. Do some digging, there's alot of good posts and knowledgeable people to lean on here.

Aggathon
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
I'd consider a build similar to this: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=1&tal=3502000023000000000000000000000300000000000000 000000000000053351225000212501230113321)

Don't spec out of improved defense stance... EVER. The enrage effect allows you to enraged regen without having to pop zerker rage or bloodrage, and further more the buff is almost always up, it's a 10% damage increase which is huge for threat, not to mention the 6% decreased spell damage which is very necessary.

For tanking heroics/early content I would suggest the following spec/glyph setup:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:MdcmMo)

Vigilance might be better than devastate for AoE threat, but tbh in heroics people aren't doing enough threat anyways, Vigilance will most likely be negligible, and devastate will help out a lot on single target threat.