PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Expertise and ICC

Arman
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Any other tanks notice that even with the expertise "hard" cap that Parry was still on some mobs tables (i.e. Deathbound Ward) even though the gib was apparently not? Is this the end of trying to stack expertise for threat as prot warrior tanks?

Xianth
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
If you were hard capped and still getting parried then i'm guessing it's some type of mob with increased parry chance but the haste removed to prevent unfortunate insta deaths. Either that or it's gaining some buff/ability to increase it's parry chance.

However, gib or no gib, expertise will still give you threat up to hard cap. I think you mean the damage reduction advantage of going for expertise.

Sakkura
12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Variable parry cap - somehow I am not surprised. This was already in the game back in Black Temple days you know.

Sakkura
12-09-2009, 06:13 AM
If you were hard capped and still getting parried then i'm guessing it's some type of mob with increased parry chance but the haste removed to prevent unfortunate insta deaths. Either that or it's gaining some buff/ability to increase it's parry chance.
How do you know parry haste was turned off in these cases?

Xianth
12-09-2009, 06:27 AM
How do you know parry haste was turned off in these cases?

Ask the OP

Arman
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I was sitting at 59 expertise running 10-man ICC last night (since our 25-man got canceled due to a lot of raiders being ill) and when I was tanking the Deathbound Ward trash (the big skeletal guys), I noticed the mob was parrying me occasionally. When I checked my log it didn't show a haste effect. The first three bosses didn't show this kind of parry.

(And yes I know I am two points above cap, but I am using a mace with Dwarven racial and was hoping that I would have Silverwing Defender by now and planned for it.)

Sakkura
12-10-2009, 06:59 AM
But how do you know there was no haste effect? It isn't reported in the combat log AFAIK. Of course you can get timestamps, but then you'll have to take into account the swing timer of the mob (which may be impossible when tanking trash).

Muffin Man
12-11-2009, 12:48 PM
It's also a trash mob (albeit a big nasty one). So I'd be surprised if they turned the haste off, but then again they did up his parry chance.

As said, the haste can only be seen when comparing timestamps of parried attacks and non-parried attacks. And of course if the parry happens right before he's about to swing (20%? 40%? I forget the window) there's not haste gained.

SquishemHard
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Since that trash does do saber lash it means you can technically have multiple tanks in front of him (not really required). Its not unreasonable to assume they turned off hasting for that reason.