PDA

View Full Version : Tanking New to tanking...Please Advise

Dreadfire
12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
First off...Howdy Y'all! :)
I would like to start tanking for our leveling guild runs, and would also like to retain a modicum of dps for pve/pvp.
I'm concerned that I'm going to lose a large amount of offense by speccing deeper into the prot tree, which is the reason for wanting advice.
As of now build is 16/3/6, but will be changing very soon to allow for better threat generation.
I prefer to stay with an arms/prot build with the exception of armored to the teeth, if it's at all possible.
"Tanks" in advance for any help. ;)
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Dreadfire (armory link)

Rominoodle
12-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Well...I haven't played a warrior in..eons. I've got a 49 twink that's been collecting dust and mold since pre-bc. It's hard to say...here's a good tank spec for leveling because well...leveling is different for everybody. I didn't level my pally in prot until 80..(though he was holy which was way worse). I've heard it both ways with warriors...some love leveling as prot because they never die...others find it too slow and sometimes boring. When I leveled my warrior up I went Fury, but I am not sure if that's the best way to level anymore or not. It really all comes out to preference and play style. Is the rest of your guild your level? Are you all running instances together or are you just questing?

If you are all the same level and on at the same times, I'd say go deep into prot to give yourself some experience in tanking. If you are just questing together I don't really think threat should be an issue and I'd go with a DPS spec. Again, when it comes to leveling, it is ALL to personal preference. When I leveled my mage, every mage on the planet said to go with Frost spec, but I face roll in fire so I went that route.

Once you hit 80 though, this forum will be all over advice on good tank specs and gearing progession and whatnot. Sorry if I wasn't any help! :(

Dreadfire
12-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the input!
We do run instances at similar levels, which is why i'm wanting to get started on the tank side of life.
I guess my main concern is how much of the arms spec can i possibly retain while still being an effective tank?
I've read the threads on hybrid arms/prot but most everything here is aimed at lvl 80s already well into the trade.
Can an apprentice get a leg up here? ;)
Thanks again!

Griff
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
You can probably tank lower level content as an arms/prot hybrid if you throw on your trusty sword and shield.

There were basically two 'hybrid' arms/prot tank builds - one was the Unrelenting Assault build which reached deep into arms for the UA talent and then it was just a matter of spamming a global cooldown revenge on your targets for high threat..this was kind of made obsolete with the changes to devastate in 3.2. The other hybrid is taking the 'deep wounds' talent from Arms which still provides the optimum threat build for raid tanks these days.

You might want to think about leveling prot - its not the brutal slog it used to be and you'll find yourself quite hard to kill. Pull an extra mob or two with your desired target? No problem at all. You'll also have more tanking tricks in your bag for when you do run instances with your comrades

Dreadfire
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Griff!
I haven't respecced this guy previously, so cost won't be a factor yet.
I'll give prot a go for a while and hope for the best.
Wish me luck!