PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Am I Ready for ICC 5man Heroics?

Rominoodle
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Title says it all folks, I'm just wondering if (once I get attuned for them all respectively) my gear will allow me to run the new ICC 5 mans on heroic? I blow through heroics now as it is, but reading on some of the descriptions, it appears these were designed to be wicked harder. Criticism always welcome.

krc
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Even though I haven't tried the new 5 man on the PTR, with 36.5k hp you should easily blow through any heroic. I don't expect it to be that much harder than the 3.2 5 man.

Rominoodle
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Reason I ask is because on WowWiki one of the bosses hits for 47-52k (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=69627)which completely raid buffed with food and flasks I am at 44.5k...short of well timed Divine Protection is this going to faceroll me?

krc
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah that's most likely the unmitigated damage. I doubt blizzard would put a 47-52k hit into a 5 man considering there is no raid boss that can do that much damage with one attack, so you should be fine.

Kilrum
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
What attunements are required?

krc
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
There are no attunements for the 5 mans or ICC.

Gen4200
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
There are no attunements for the 5 mans or ICC.

Well, you have to finish FoS to gain access to HoR and PoS

5-Man quest guide (http://www.wow.com/2009/12/08/frozen-halls-5-man-dungeon-attunement-walkthrough/)

keebz
12-08-2009, 02:41 PM
You just have to do quests within the first instance to unlock the 2nd and 3rd 5 man's I believe. There's an "Apprentice _____" walking around Dalaran, usually by/inside the banks. He gives a quest out which directs you to the "first" of the three new instances. I don't think you need the quest to actually enter the first instance but I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it.

Synapse
12-09-2009, 04:02 AM
You don't, indeed. Enter the first, grab quest there, finish it, go to the next.... In fact, there is a portal inside the first instance that takes you directly to the second when you do the quest(dunno if the portal persists afterwards)

drae
12-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Yes the portal persists.

If you don't pick up the quest in dal, you will get it when you enter the instance.

FoS is easy, just move out of the fire.
PoS is a bit more difficult, stricter DPS timers, slightly more complex bosses, and the fun icy cave.

HoR is more difficult, specifically the add waves before each of the first two bosses, and the last pull. At the end of HoR my ToC25 druid healer was "amazed" at the difficulty, saying it was quite a step up healing wise from ToC5, and I'm... well geared...

Further in HoR, the add pick-up can be semi-difficult for a warrior, (specifically at the end) if your DPS is.... dumb. Paladins may have trouble if your DPS isn't smart enough to interrupt caster adds into your range.

After reviewing your armory, I'd say your just under par (the 5mans drop 232 loot) but you should be able to tear the first 2 apart no problem.

Bovinity
12-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I got a group via the LFG pug thing pretty much facerolled all 3 instances. The numbers are a little bigger, but its still just a 5-man. We even accidently pulled 4 of the big patrols at once in PoS and we were still just fine. And it's not like I'm MEGA GEARED or anything.

But HoR bugged at the end and we didn't finish. Oh well.

Rominoodle
12-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Well I decided that I am going to run the regulars just to get an idea of what the instances are all about. I have been reading up on the stratedgies and understand what needs to be done, but I'd feel better at least learning them first before hopping into a heroic and cause a wipe. Also, semi off topic but I just picked up Lucky Old Sun (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49783) last night to replace my Red Sword of Courage (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37401) (had a mongoose enchant) and I am wondering if it is worth enchanting this with anything good (bladeward, blood draining i.e) or if I should wait for the heroic tank gear to drop to put something on it. Currently with the Lucky Old Sun I am at 539 defense with 15 into resilience...does that put me over my uncrittable level?

drae
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Yes that puts you over the un-critable level. No I wouldn't enchant it with anything super expensive. There are multiple up's available now that are easy to come by. There's a nice up in heroic Pit of Saron.

You can more then likely do the heroics just fine. Just find a good group :D. Don't worry about wiping, it's new content your supposed to wipe in glorious fashions!

Rominoodle
12-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I'll probably wait on the heroic pugs until I run it with my guild for a few times. We have learned each others play styles and usually do well in em. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just craft a titanium weapon chain or something for the mace.

drae
12-09-2009, 07:29 AM
That's exactly what I would do. Get a guild heroic 5 man together, start in FoS and rock it. As for the weapon enchant, that's also a great idea, you'll appreciate not blowing 1000g when that dragon drops this new sword!

Rominoodle
12-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey, just an update! I was able to Run all three of the 5man ICC heroics last night. It wasn't easy, and the dragon did not drop his sword. I did however get the axe to drop from Falric in Halls of Reflection. These heroics are definately a little bit more tough, especially the mobs in the Pit that do the 50% armor debuff to you...or the non-stop waves of mobs until 2 bosses are down in HoR. I'm going to keep on running heroics so i can pick up some more 245 iLevel gear, and maybe even attempt ICC10 Normal :)