PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Question regarding Hit

Kilgrim
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone,

To make a long post concise, I'm the MT of a 10 man guild and recently won some gear that I thought was an instant upgrade. However, using these new items drops my Hit% from 8.06 to 6 and some change. People I raid with said being hit capped isn't necessary for tanks, but none of them have any experience with DKs.

So my question is: As a 2H Blood Tank, should I be worried about that drop in hit or should I be happy with my increased avoidance and stamina from the new gear? Similarly, should I worry about gemming for Hit?

Thanks for your time and help

Griff
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not a DK, so my practical experience with the class is limited, however, tanking is very situational and all tanks need to use the right gear for the right fight.

If a fight is threat sensitive, be ready to swap in some hit gear - if survival is the controlling issue at bar, then dropping a little hit for bigger stam/avoidance pools is the way to go.

You can also help to ameliorate your hit issues with buff food.

Quinafoi
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
The answer is actually a tough one in this case. It largely depends on the other people you raid with. For a tank, Hit = Threat. It's nice to be at the 8% mark to be hit capped for your specials. Though it often isn't required. As a tank you have two jobs...

1. Piss whatever it is off more than your DPS and healing does (generate more threat).
2. Be able to survive pissing it off (survivability).

So long as you still generate enough threat to stay ahead of your DPS and healers, it isn't necessarily a problem to drop below 8% hit as a tank. Please note I'm not taking any specific fights into consideration with this recommendation. Obviously if some fights require you to not miss, you may want to use your hit gear. But if the fight doesn't specifically require it and you are still leading in threat, its ok to lower a threat rating like Hit or Expertise in favor of some survivability stats.

vine
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
+hit helps us with Death Coil, Icy Touch, Pestilence, Dark Command, Death Grip, Death & Decay. You can miss a taunt, but can recover using Death Grip. Missing a Pest can mess up a rotation. Missing IT can mess up a pull.
If you were Alliance I'd say be in a group with a Draenei, otherwise simply eat some +hit food to make up the difference.

Runesmaster
12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
+hit helps us with Death Coil, Icy Touch, Pestilence, Dark Command, Death Grip, Death & Decay. You can miss a taunt, but can recover using Death Grip. Missing a Pest can mess up a rotation. Missing IT can mess up a pull.
If you were Alliance I'd say be in a group with a Draenei, otherwise simply eat some +hit food to make up the difference.

You missed the most important thing that can miss while tanking, Rune Strike cant be dodge/parry/blocked but it CAN miss so being hit capped greatly increases your threat for DK tanks (in my opinion). But saying that i know i have a grand total of 3-4% hit on my DK because of gear lacking any hit in 25 TOC and i still manage to pull enough threat to keep ahead of any dps.

Fledern
12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Threatwise, you can live with lower hit. The major problem would come when your lack of hit starts making your diseases fall off. If your diseases dont fall off frequently and/or you have no problems putting them back on, you can live with lower hit

Hades
12-08-2009, 02:24 AM
You missed the most important thing that can miss while tanking, Rune Strike cant be dodge/parry/blocked but it CAN miss so being hit capped greatly increases your threat for DK tanks (in my opinion). But saying that i know i have a grand total of 3-4% hit on my DK because of gear lacking any hit in 25 TOC and i still manage to pull enough threat to keep ahead of any dps.

It sure can. Long story short, and as a former DK tank, I'd say so long as you stay far enough ahead in threat that your DPS doesn't pull off you, run what helps you stay alive. A dead tank is a dead raid. I'd rather see a great big white "MISS" than "release to graveyard in 6 minutes". As for running 8% for specials, it's also the cap for white damage on 2handers, so if you can jump it back up with some food and run with a MM hunter, you should be ok with about 8 and change.