PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Armory check and what upgrades to chase.

Gen4200
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Armory - Foxtrot (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Perenolde&cn=Foxtrot&gn=Sleeper+Cartel) (this is my ilvl gear)

Background:
We attempted ToC 10 man last night, log here. (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rv14kzo8h1fxov5l/)
Before we went in we knew that both myself and the other tank (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Perenolde&n=Tibbs) (ignore his cloak) were under geared. I was in my EH set, 35K unbuffed health

Our best attempt was Icehowl down to 13%. After that we had some weird behavior on Gormok with Tibbs going down before the healers could react.

Question:
Where should I be looking to try and get some solid upgrades fast? I saw a few things in the new ICC 5-mans and we do Ony/Voa on Tuesdays. I have 14 triumph badges and plan on farming a lot as soon as 3.3 drops.

Short of dropping 8-12K on the breastplate and spiked deathdealers via the AH does anyone have recommendations for solid upgrades I could go after?

I've done a lot of gear research, I'm just not sure if I'm missing some 5-man drop or badge item that would be a big jump or a solid replacement for anything.

Harmacy
12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
If you have enough conquests to get the emblem of valor boots, I'd suggest doing so (I think they're named Kyrzoc's Ground Stompers or something like that) - dodge and parry, while underwhelming in ToC, is much better than shield block rating.

Other than that, looking good. I know little about warrior specs so I'll leave that critique to someone else.

edit: there are also nice legs in regular ToC 5, not a huge upgrade but they'll give you a few points of stamina and a lot of dodge

Bung
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
If you can afford it buy the spiked deathdealers. The boots you have are killing you! They have so little DEF on them that you have to gem defense. The good news is that the better gear in the game(232-245) is loaded with DEF. That way all of your gems can be Stam or stam/Exp. Your expertise is low too, you might want to save up 75 emblems of triumph and get the helm.

Gen4200
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
If you can afford it buy the spiked deathdealers. The boots you have are killing you! They have so little DEF on them that you have to gem defense. The good news is that the better gear in the game(232-245) is loaded with DEF. That way all of your gems can be Stam or stam/Exp. Your expertise is low too, you might want to save up 75 emblems of triumph and get the helm.

@Bung Thanks for pointing out the boots.
I setup an item comparison between (http://ptr.wowhead.com/?compare=50207;45560;49795;39717)the SDD and the upcoming 5-man boots. Basically the HICC5 boots are superior to the SSD except for the 2 sockets. Assuming straight stamina in each, the difference is +29 sta vs. +4stg, +15ar, +10def, +3dodge, +10 parry.
So dropping 3K in mats vs. running the heroic a for a week isn't a hard decision for me. Maybe if I make some good money on the AH I'll get them.

On the Expertise, this is just my iLvL set, its much higher in my threat set, and I'll have to check it in my stamina set. Regardless I could stand to have more. I'll re-gem when I can.

@Harmacy
I do have the pants from HToC5, just not in that outfit. Thanks for the other advice

I appreciate the advice guys, thanks!

vine
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't see any Indestructible Potions used by either of you -- something most tanks forget about. This is, imo, inexcusable. Pop one before the pull, and another during the fight. I keep about 40 on me at all times.

Every little helps.

Tibbs needs the Saronite Swordbreakers, and to get rid of those resil gems. He needs the badge ring and crafted ring, and the Black Heart instead of Brewfest.

Tenicor
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I'd Recommend The Trinket from Ignis 25 man Heart of Iron Over the Brewfest Trinket that dodge can help alot trust me Hope this helps

drae
12-09-2009, 10:37 AM
For one, you had 5 Deaths with less then 1k overkill. I hope you were flasked and using cooldowns judiciously. :D

Now that 3.3 is live gearing up couldn't be easier. Grind the hell out of heroics. You can now earn an entire 232 kit (with select 245 pieces) just by grinding heroics for badges. As noted earlier the honorbound helm is really nice. Expertise and all that. I wouldn't purchase SDD off the AH, you can get better in 5 mans now.

There is a nice sword in Heroic Pit of Saron if you dislike the "proc" nature of QS. There are also some decent tank pieces that are generally difficult to come by via badges.