PDA

View Full Version : Tanking weapon debate

Thorall
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I've been a lurker in the wings around here for a while now learning from questions asked by others and now finally posting one of my own.

Currently im carrying the peacekeeper blade gemmed with a thick kings +20 def and chanted with accuracy +25 to hit and crit. Last night I picked up the gleaming qual' serrar from ony 10 and was going to enchant it with blade ward. Would this upgrade be worth it as I have been told that the procs ticks quite often and it would be an upgrade. If I do swap the peacekeeper out I will still be well above the def cap.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Thorall)

Any advise would be appreciated. Even on changing the chant on either weapon.

Wars
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
It will be an upgrade, though I'm not a fan of Blade ward, it is a valid tanking enchant. You would be alright doing this in a socially accepted manner.

You said you will be above the def cap but in a somewhat convoluted manner. You should remain def capped without the proc going off on the gleaming QS, never rely on a proc to make you def capped.

EDIT: Checked your armory and you will still be above the cap w/o the peacekeeper and gem. Make sure to sub that gem in somewhere else now!

Thorall
12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
ill be well above the cap im planning on swaping out all the gems for stam gems except where I need to meet the meta req. is there a chant that you would apply to the QS. Ive been told to use mongoose but im not sold on an old world chant for a new expansion...maybe its just me

Wars
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
It's all about preference. I like basically static effective health for my tanking style. I choose blood draining for my progression tanking set.

I use blade ward on my threat set on a more threat orientated weapon.

Mongoose a lot of people use because it still does have good benefits at 80 and it's a proven and trusted source of crit/avoidance/armor which a lot of people like.

Solely in my opinion; blade ward is less effective for surviving encounters than blood draining. That is solely my opinion from using both in progression encounters in my raids which may differ from your raids. I did a lot of research and experimentation and that's just how I feel at this point.

This is the kind of decision blizzard likes and I'm only hurting my own argument by not taking a stronger stance for my choice. Damn them for doing their job well!

Harmacy
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
ill be well above the cap im planning on swaping out all the gems for stam gems except where I need to meet the meta req. is there a chant that you would apply to the QS. Ive been told to use mongoose but im not sold on an old world chant for a new expansion...maybe its just me

People's personal feelings aside (there is a lot of heated debate between people with nothing better to do), Blade Ward and Mongoose are pretty much even.

Blood Draining is the best pure EH enchant, Accuracy obviously is the best threat enchant, and BW and Mongoose (and 26 agility) are right there in the middle.

None of the weapon enchants are stellar, really if you're down to Mongoose vs. Blade Ward, I've said it before I'll say it again - choose the one with the prettier glow on your weapon.

edit: just checked out your armory, that Onyxia trinket is bad unless you desperately need the defense - you appear to be sitting comfortable over the uncrittable mark though, even with several pieces without defense rating, so I'd say ditch the parry trinket for something with Stamina

brewfest trinkets, JC crafted trinket, or if you have extra emblems of triumph, Glyph of Indomitability is fantastic in most fights

Thorall
12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
with the groups ive been running i dont have threat issues since im carrying some of my guild in naxx 10 25 for upgrades to alts..when they have the chance they sneak me into toc or uld runs for a shot at gear.

I guess im looking for avoidance to the weapon as I will be replacing the gems in my gear with EH or +30 stam gems.

I think its funny but i made the same post on the WOW pally forums and its gone way off from where it started. Tanking forums got 1 reply and he suggesteed the goose.

Wars
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
If you post on any of the official forums you will either get zero attention or you will end up in a place you couldn't have ever predicted like how terrible herbalism is for tanking.

I would make a devil's advocate case for herbalism though!

If you're looking for balance, the avoidance proc on either is worth a bit more than two dodge gems of static avoidance. Blade Ward is less than Mongoose for static avoidance I believe. Honestly it's all up in the air about this stuff.

Thorall
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
TY

I'll regem EH chant peacekeeper with blood drain or the goose and go from there ill keep QS with the goose for runs where the AV will be nice.

And the debate on the pally forum has exploded.

ryofu
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Quel'serrar has it's own green glow. No enchant will show on it