PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong for what I thought about this trinket?

Wars
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I got into a heated debate the other day post-raid(TOGC25) about my trinket choice.

During almost all raids I run Monarch Crab and Glyph of Indominability.

A dps druid wanted to ask why I ran the glyph instead of the black heart. I said simply because the Glyph will turn around more Effective Health than the black heart will along with the added avoidance click, compared to the black heart's random 7k armor proc.

I proved to him that the Black Heart's HP boost was not the same effective return as the physical damage reduced by the straight armor. It's something near 1.75% overall more damage reduction which at that point is going from 62.X to 64.X overall reduction.

This I attributed to why I die the least out of all our tanks on most hard mode stuff, I know how to gear for the stuff I face.

As I've rolled it around in my head though, I've come here wondering if I was right. I love the static damage reduction on all of Gormok's stuff(I never die from impale obviously because it's all cooldown related), dreadscale tanking is mostly physical damage besides molten spew/bile ticks, and then Icehowl is all physical minus breathe(which shouldn't ever kill a tank anyway).

What do you think?

Petninja
12-06-2009, 05:41 PM
The question I have is if you feel the monarch crab is doing you any favors over the Black Heart. The monarch is obviously +3 stam, and an on use dodge. What I'm not sure of is the returns you get on the crabs on use vs the proc on the Black Heart.

Wars
12-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah I've asked the same question and I do believe that the black heart is probably more valuable, plus I would net more stamina due to the fact of being able to place the JC gem in another piece of gear over a 30 stam. Good point.

Biigfoot
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah I've asked the same question and I do believe that the black heart is probably more valuable, plus I would net more stamina due to the fact of being able to place the JC gem in another piece of gear over a 30 stam. Good point.

Not the mention the armor proc is up a fair amount of the time and outweighs the slight amount of extra stamina the crab has.

Wars
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Indeed! Thank you for the help guys!

Bayz0r
12-07-2009, 02:16 AM
In my experience, the Glyph is not the best choice for most fights in ToC, when compared to stamina trinkets (like the Black Heart/Heart of Iron/Satrina's or even the Brewfest trinkets (or especially those, depending on preference)).

There is so much unavoidable damage that is not reduced by armor in toc that the stamina trinkets really help a lot more for keeping the tank up and healable. You mentioned the twin jormungars - well I've never ever had health issues in that fight except for when they were doing molten spew - which is magic damage.

Gormok's melee hits aren't nice, no, especially in heroic when he has a few stacks of Rising Anger, but it's his impales + dot + stomp that are going to be the really hard hitters and the ones that will cause tank death.

In the end, it does really depend on how much HP you have without your trinkets that is probably the most relevant fact when deciding which trinket to use - so if you're sitting comfortably above 40K unbuffed with the Glyph, then it's probably worth a lot more as a trinket than if you aren't.