PDA

View Full Version : Prot Pally and Prot Warr need some halp

Offbrand
12-06-2009, 06:32 AM
hi guys, im in a bit a bit of a pickle and ive done alot of searching but havent found an answer or the help im satisfied with so i figure i might as well come here for help.

My friend recently hit 80 on his rerolled warrior and he is gearing up to tank heroics. His current stats are as follows - unbuffed 27k hp, 542 defense, 20% dodge, 17% parry, 12% block, 22.6k armor. He is able to tank nexus perfectly fine, with flying colors even. But when we try other heroics it seems like he just takes too much damage, eventually dropping. Im his healer as a holy pally, pretty well geared in badge/toc stuff, 2518 whr. My question regarding him is basically, what should he work on, is something too low? I dont know much about tanking but to me his block seems low, am i right? His spec is 15-5-51 atm.

My other question is a simple one that can help with the above. Ive built up a nice unenchanted and ungemmed tanking set for myself and im hoping someone can tell me what entry level stats i'll need for tanking heroics.

I appreciate any help i get and thanks in advance.

Harmacy
12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
It's hard to give specific advice to either of you without an armory or a saved wow-heroes profile or something.

He's above the def minimum and has 27k HP, that should be more than enough for any heroic (maybe not H TOC). Is he popping his cooldowns when necessary?

Datsik
12-06-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm a newly geared tank and have crap gear, as newbs do eh? but I didn't have much problems with any heroic except HToC, not sure if it was because of me or healer, and H OK but got through it with a few deaths. Not sure what the problem is that you're stressing though

Is it an aggro problem or just the tank dying way too fast? Look up Mazchine if you want. That's I. I do believe I'm not even properly specced either.

Krays
12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm a newly geared tank and have crap gear, as newbs do eh? but I didn't have much problems with any heroic except HToC, not sure if it was because of me or healer, and H OK but got through it with a few deaths. Not sure what the problem is that you're stressing though

Is it an aggro problem or just the tank dying way too fast? Look up Mazchine if you want. That's I. I do believe I'm not even properly specced either.

if you failed or had issues in Hotc, its a cause of the group and whoch bosses you got. Htoc can be a bit rng if you have some people underead in group. Sometims you can go in with a 24k hp tank and be fine, and other times its impossible.

Wars
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
The only problem I can see in H ToC is palatress with the memories and her damage stacking up.

His gear is good enough for heroics(most of us who were 80 a week or two into Wrath were tanking heroics with 23-25k health and nothing in the ilvl200+ area.

The group needs to seriously look at using possibly some CC and he should be worried about cooldown management for large aoe pulls where he is probably dying.

If you are the healer; Can you honestly say that you are playing to 100% of your potential? If so, then you are in no way at fault. If not then always try to improve and things will always get better!

Offbrand
12-06-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks for the replies and help so far guys. We did a htoc together and while it was messy and we had 3-4 wipes, we were able to get through it. Where we really had trouble was in a h cos where he was have alot of trouble holding aggro. I chalked it up to a massively overgeared mage in the group that seemed to not care that our tank was fresh. This guy was pulling before the tank was ready and pulling 6.5k dps on anything he could touch. IMO cos isnt toc, we should be working together to finish the instance, not show off what our gear can do, right?

Im trying my best to help him out cuz hes getting a bit discouraged. Here is his armory - The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arthas&n=Mobd)

Wars
12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, obviously if you run into a player like that, who doesn't care, you're going to have an issue.

Just tell him to stick it out for another few weeks, with ICC right around the corner, the gear disparity will disappear.