PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Blue...

BruisedOoze
12-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Scientists Discover a Perfect Blue Pigment—Entirely by Accident | 80beats | Discover Magazine (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2009/11/24/scientists-discover-a-perfect-blue-pigment%E2%80%94entirely-by-accident/)

I don't know about you guys, but I think the truth is they cremated a Smurf.

Penlowe
12-06-2009, 04:31 AM
:)
On my art forum we argue about the safety and stability of pigments the way you guys argue about avoidance. This is worth reposting.

Doc309
12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow that's a "bright" blue.

do i mean hue saturated?

Doc

BruisedOoze
12-06-2009, 10:30 AM
:)
On my art forum we argue about the safety and stability of pigments the way you guys argue about avoidance. This is worth reposting.

Yeah I didn't realise the issues with blue until a year ago after having a visiting speaker in our department for a colloquium. Her work involved laser spectroscopy techniques (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy, or LIBS) which didn't damage materials and could be used to help determine fakes and the age of paintings based on the pigments. With causing noticeable damage to the painting that is.

I forget the painting but they had evidence that the painting was fairly old but it had blue in it which confused them considering the date the painting came from. They determined it had cobalt in it so they were able to establish an approximate time when it was later touched up.

Later that night I mention this to a WoW buddy and he started off casually with 'Oh yeah [Insert a bunch of stuff about pigments here]." I never really thought about pigments, except when as a kid I always used to get brown when I tried to get other colors from mashing various plants and saliva to make face paint.

There was also some news not too long ago about physicists who made the 'blackest material.' This one was very much intentional though.

Wars
12-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, all I can say is wow.

And that truly looks like a cremated smurf. Maybe he got too close to Gargamel's easy-bake-smurfvin?

80 watts of smurf-cake ownage!