PDA

View Full Version : Do you run Glyph of Taunt?

veneretio
12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
The last few months I've ran Glyph of Taunt in one of my tanking specs. I have the luxury of having 2 protection specs for my warrior so this isn't as challenging to do for me as it may be for some.

Why I started using it should be fairly obvious. Even though I don't pursue hit, there was a lack of it on some of the better gear out there and I saw a lot of Taunts missing. After all, Taunt has a 17% (446 hit since it's spell hit) chance to miss if you don't run any hit which means with low hit you'll see a Taunt miss on Gormok roughly every other attempt. Not a great way to learn hard modes.

So, here's how it breaks down for me.

Spec 1: Deep Wounds (Threat-ish)
- Glyph of Blocking
- Glyph of Devastate
- Glyph of Revenge (this feels outdated)

Spec 2: Survival
- Glyph of Blocking
- Glyph of Shield Wall
- Glyph of Taunt

I used to run Glyph of Last Stand in place of Glyph of Taunt. I can't say that I've really noticed the impact of 3 minute Last Stand as opposed to 2 minute Last Stand, but come Icecrown, I'll certainly be monitoring this.

Now if I was only running 1 tanking spec and I had to take Glyph of Taunt, I'd probably run Spec 2's setup exactly. Is this what everyone else is doing?

What is your solution to Taunt misses?

Aggathon
12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I carry around stacks of glyphs that I use and swap them out per fight. If I need to not miss a taunt like alg, anub add tanking, or gormok, then I glyph it, otherwise I put in a more useful glyph.

Ariedan
12-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a few on me and swap it in for taunt-sensitive fights. It's incredibly useful, but situational, I find.

veneretio
12-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I carry around stacks of glyphs that I use and swap them out per fight.
What glyph are you swapping out for it?

Darksend
12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
When I still played my warrior I ran last stand shield wall and taunt with one spec and devastate revenge and heroic strike in the other (I think heroic strike I honestly do not remember but it was not taunt that I remember for sure)

For reference I quit playing him about 2 weeks after anub was finally unlocked

Ariedan
12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I know you were asking him, but since I answered similarly, I swap out Glyph of Devastate on taunt-sensitive fights.

Aggathon
12-04-2009, 09:28 PM

It depends on the fight, I carry around the following:

Taunt
Cleave
Devastate
Blocking
Last Stand
Shield Wall

Usually I run blocking/last stand/shield wall, and if I switch a glyph for taunt it will usually be blocking. For anub I run cleave/blocking/taunt. I'll mix and max as is required for the optimal fight. I should probably get someone to make me some vigilance glyphs just incase for upcoming content.

Darksend
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
BLOCKING! that's what my third one was.

Bodasafa
12-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I came to the same conclusion about the taunt glyph a while ago. Due to our lack of hit on current content gear, it's about the only insurance to land a taunt when you cannot afford a miss. NRB 25 Heroic immediately comes to mind.

Currently I run:

Taunt
Vigilance
Blocking

Encounters where Taunt is not critical, I switch that one to Enrage Regeneration. Some might ask why, so here's my reasoning:

I macro Satrina's, Last Stand, and Enrage Regeneration together to fire at the same time and in that order. They are all on a 3 min CD and in that proper order allow me to get the maximum HP and Heal from the effects. Adding an additional 10% to that seems worthy of a major glyphs slot.

I'm not impressed with the Last Stand glyph because it throws the synergy of those 3 min CD's out of whack and as Vene said I don't notice the difference anyway from when I did use it.

Also not a fan of a 40% shield wall. I would rather have the full 60%. (I know I need to remove the 2 talent points since I don't have the glyph currently).

I'm testing Vigilance in my main set up right now. Not 100% if it will stay, seems to give me a jump at the start of encounter (we have some sick DPS) and allows one of our top dps (fight depending) to open up strong.

Aggathon
12-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I came to the same conclusion about the taunt glyph a while ago. Due to our lack of hit on current content gear, it's about the only insurance to land a taunt when you cannot afford a miss. NRB 25 Heroic immediately comes to mind.

Currently I run:

Taunt
Vigilance
Blocking

Encounters where Taunt is not critical, I switch that one to Enrage Regeneration. Some might ask why, so here's my reasoning:

I macro Satrina's, Last Stand, and Enrage Regeneration together to fire at the same time and in that order. They are all on a 3 min CD and in that proper order allow me to get the maximum HP and Heal from the effects. Adding an additional 10% to that seems worthy of a major glyphs slot.

I'm not impressed with the Last Stand glyph because it throws the synergy of those 3 min CD's out of whack and as Vene said I don't notice the difference anyway from when I did use it.

Also not a fan of a 40% shield wall. I would rather have the full 60%. (I know I need to remove the 2 talent points since I don't have the glyph currently).

I'm testing Vigilance in my main set up right now. Not 100% if it will stay, seems to give me a jump at the start of encounter (we have some sick DPS) and allows one of our top dps (fight depending) to open up strong.

I guess you could do that, I personally like to separate the cooldowns to use them for different circumstances, a lot of times poping LS + trinket + enraged regen is just overkill and instead you can use them all for seperate instances.

Kazeyonoma
12-05-2009, 02:05 AM
i almost always just run shield wall, last stand, devastate, but on nrb if i'm feeling unlucky i go with taunt, but 3 insanity runs in 10 man and never once missed a taunt, pretty lucky i suppose.

Inaoe
12-05-2009, 06:08 AM
I use Glyph of Taunt on fights where there's both, a lot of damage incoming to the tanks and forced tank switches. Basically that's Gormok and Algalon atm. I just don't want to announce a tank switch for our healers that doesn't happen the second I say "now". And I simply don't like to rely on mocking blow for missed taunts. ;)

Normal Glyphs are Blocking, Shield Wall and Devastate. I change Devastate for Taunt then.

Hamburglar
12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
In my normal tanking build I use Glyph of Last Stand and Shield Wall all the time. I normally run glyph of vigilance but I swap in glyph of taunt over that for taunt sensitive fights like ToGC 25 Beasts or Thorim HM.

I've personally had double taunt resists on Gormok/Worms that resulted in wipes so I'll always be using that glyph.

fuddjupp
12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Most of the time I use these Glyphs:

Blocking
Shieldwall
Devastate/Taunt

I always carry several Glyphs with me including Taunt, Devaste, Last Stand and Blocking. Last Stand and Shieldwall are only in my bags, I don't use them anymore. I used to play with Last Stand Glyph instead of Devastate when we Vezax was serious content and I needed 2min CDs.
In general I loved to play with Blocking because of it's 100% uptime, Shieldwall because of the 2min CD (I don't think 2 min LS is needed on any encounter) and I really love Glyph of Devastate.

But then came hardmode encounters. In Ulduar fights like Iron Council, Algalon, Thorim, Yogg +1/+0, (Freya, Mimiron). In ToGC Beasts and Anub as Add-Tank. Well because Glyph of Devastate only helps threat and my lazyness :P I swap Devastate with Taunt.
At first I changed my Devaste/Taunt Glyphs when I didn't use Taunt because I like to play with Devastate.
But now I became to lazy to change my Glyphs when I raid ToGC. I play with Glyph of Taunt almoust 100% of the time, because it is needed on several hardmode encounters.

Quenchiest
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I just swap Devastate with Taunt if I need it.

Friend of mine drops stacks of the things on me if I need them.

Fledern
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
..... After all, Taunt has a 17% (446 hit since it's spell hit) chance to miss if you don't run any hit which means with low hit you'll see a Taunt miss on Gormok roughly every other attempt. Not a great way to learn hard modes.....

I would like to challange that. I've never done proper testing ofc so i may just be the luckiest bastard on the planet but

I run with 8% spellhit and i've yet to miss a taunt.

Hell, i usually forget switching around stuff & run with 7%ish spellhit and i still dont miss taunt.

To make sure in the case of a critical fight like Gormok, i taunt when there's less than 10 sec remaining on my impale. Gormok is pretty accurate in his impales and wont land one before its time. If my taunt misses somehow (happened several times before i hit 8%) i still have enough time to try again.

Here's a sample log: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1gx2ww3nrxxylf1r/)

i was running with 5% hit with a shadowpriest in the raid. 10 taunts were successful, 2 were "immune" (those i foolishly cast on faction champions).

We could argue i was damn lucky, but this is the sort of taunt performance i've been living with for the last month or so.

TomHuxley
12-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I never run with Glyph of Taunt. On a fight like NRB I vigil the other tank and have no issue if I miss once in a while. Honestly, it's never been a problem. On 5 man content I can also heroic throw, challenging shout, etc if there's an issue. In raids it's never an issue except on fights where putting vigil on my OT is a good idea anyways for survival.

I honestly can't remember the last time I missed a taunt in a raid where I didn't get it back right away from vigil.

Aggathon
12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
In raids it's never an issue except on fights where putting vigil on my OT is a good idea anyways for survival.

For the record BoSalvation and Vigilance don't stack. Idk if you have a prot pally, but if you do your OT won't gain anything from the 3% reduced damage, all you'll do is decrease his/her TPS.

Brawndo
12-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Amazing. 36 votes. split 12/12/12. Just goes to show how weak Prot glyphs really are compared to other classes. I'm probably the only tank that uses Cleaving, but it's definitely my favorite glyph and makes a tangible difference in AE tanking.

squats
12-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Amazing. 36 votes. split 12/12/12. Just goes to show how weak Prot glyphs really are compared to other classes. I'm probably the only tank that uses Cleaving, but it's definitely my favorite glyph and makes a tangible difference in AE tanking.

actually... i would say most DPS classe's glyphs are weak. Prot* has several acceptable** glyph choices that serve different purposes, while almost every dps class/spec has 3 glyphs that they HAVE to use to maximize dps.

*referring to prot warriors, i dont play a feral or prot pally
**glyph of taunt just happens to not be one.

Sakkura
12-06-2009, 06:45 AM
i almost always just run shield wall, last stand, devastate, but on nrb if i'm feeling unlucky i go with taunt, but 3 insanity runs in 10 man and never once missed a taunt, pretty lucky i suppose.
That fight isn't all that taunt sensitive really, since Gormok has a rigid timer on his impales, allowing you to taunt several times if you do happen to miss.

Personally I only have one prot spec, so I just swap glyphs when it's really necessary.

Airowird
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
When I was Dual-specced I ran:
Threat: Devastate + 2 out of Cleave/Sunder/Blocking (swapped around a lot)
Mitigation: Shield Wall, Last Stand, Blocking/Devastate (dependant on threat requirement)

As a single spec I simply run with
Devastate (Threat)
Shield Wall (+talent ofc)
Taunt

Reasoning being that Devastate is by far the biggest threat glyph, as well as good utility. Shield Wall provides me more survivability and Taunt is just because overall, there is little major benefit from other glyphs. In fact the only thing I'ld feel worthy in a raid environment is probably Glyph of Sunder for twins or anub

Wars
12-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I have had about 5 missed taunts on NRB togc 25 in the past 3 weeks. I jsut say, "Oh it was immune" and then a few seconds later grab it. It has however never ended up in a wipe when this happens.

I run SW/LS/Blocking, but am thinking of going with devastate from here on out since block value is so meh these days for progression based encounters.

Semi-related: Devastate glyph still adds additional threat for the 2nd application of sunder correct?

Strit
12-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Haven't used Glyph of Taint yet, as I don't really raid, so its not a big problem for me.

Wars
12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Haven't used Glyph of Taint yet, as I don't really raid, so its not a big problem for me.

Awesome slip. <3

Raij
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I use it for Anub add tanking (we often don't have a hunter for MD) and I can't afford it to miss, especially on P3 where healing aggro is so insane. Also very useful for Algalon, as that fight is fairly intense as well, and you can't really afford to slip up.

Gnurken
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Always have on Glyph of Devastate, then I have 4 stacks of glyphs I swap around (blocking, taunt, last stand, shield wall) and I replace them a lot

taunt/shield for algalon, taunt/block for anub

don't use last stand glyph that much now, more when we didn't overgear the instances

Reev
12-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I use:

Glyph of Devastate
Glyph of Shield Wall

And I alternated between the following depending on the fight:
Glyph of Taunt
Glyph of Last Stand

I often forget to switch back to the Last Stand Glyph though, and I rarely notice the difference. I really notice the lack of Glyph of Taunt on Gormok or normal Faction Champs though.

Taeros
12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Back in May I ended up using Glyph of Taunt when we were working on I Choose You, Steelbreaker. Landing that taunt at just the right second was too important. I think I used it for Lose Your Illusion progression as well.

I played with it again when we were starting ToGC 25. I had the kind of luck with NRB P1 and P2 where the taunt would miss and the knee-jerk Mocking Blow would too.

Xianth
12-07-2009, 04:00 AM
As I run 10 mans, there's a lot of hit on my BiS gear so i've had no real need to reach for the glyph, coupled with the fact that i can use vig for taunt refreshes too.

Aethelas
12-07-2009, 05:39 AM
I run with two protection specs at the moment, mostly because I don't have the gear to do any serious dps. (and well, I don't like melee dps all that much).

Either way. I use

Taunt - Devastate - Shieldwall in my survival spec
Devastate - blocking - cleave in my threatish specc.

I mostly miss a 2 minute last stand in my threat and survival spec. Somehow I keep regarding Shield wall as a real panic button while using enraged regeneration, trinkets and last stand quite a bit more liberally. Cleave is only really there because it's handy for anub'arak adds.

Oddly I also miss my revenge glyph sometimes. It's not needed very often, but the couple of times it could have been handy somehow really stick in my mind.

I wonder why I keep hanging on to the devastate glyph. I've ran heroic TotC without it once and wasn't really happy with my threat, perhaps it simply was a night spent in bad form - but it stuck.

I usually carry some glyphs in my bag so I can change things on the fly should I really require it.

drae
12-07-2009, 06:27 AM
I keep about different stacks of glyphs on me at all times and swap them as required for each fight.

I use taunt on any fight with tank swaps or where I'll be taunting more then once or twice.

In general I tend to keep devastate and shieldwall in, Swapping my third glyph between taunt, vig, last stand.

Personally I'm not a big fan of blocking. Think about Glyph of Blocking's defensive aspects this way...

Progression warrior tanks wearing ToGC gear are looking at approx. 1800 SBV and ~20% chance to block fully buffed. (assuming no tier hat or pants, feverish dedication and honorbound.)

The boss attacks every 2 seconds. Consider a 1m fight. That's one use of Shield Block and 30 attacks.

That's approximately 9 blocks, 5 automatically generated by shield block, (10s of shieldblock, 2s per boss swing) the remainder blocked naturally (20% of 30-5).

That's 5 blocks with double SBV, for ~3600 each, and 5 with normal blocks of 1800 sbv.

Account for critical block.(60% chance of double block)
3 (60% of 5) blocks for 7200, 5 (40% of 5 + 60% of 5) blocks for 3600 sbv, and 2 (40% of 4) for 1800 sbv.

3x 7200= 21600
+ 5x 3600 = 18000
+ 2x 1800 =3600
43200 damage blocked minute

Glyph of blocking would add, ~4320 damage absorbed per minute. I see greater returns by popping an indestructible pot. Forgive my bad napkin math if I'm wrong, it's just ment to be a quick estimation.

As to it's offensive merits, glyph of blocking adds more or less the same SBV as swapping feverish dedication to tier 9.5 pants.

I just don't find blocking useful, it's nice that it has both defensive and offensive properties (one of the few glyphs that does), but it just seems lackluster to me.

Beerey
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I assume you were talking about as a warrior, but as a druid we have such a ridiculous amount of hit naturally on our BiS gear that I'm spell hit capped anyway - glyph of taunt is therefore useless.

Vilge
12-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Never used it.

1st spec (threat): devastate, blocking, vigi
2nd spec (anub): blocking, cleave, vigi

Don't really understand point of having threat spec without glyph of vigi. It's 5% threat more and the person with vigi has 5% less.

Also surprised so many people use ls/sw glyphs, they're completly useless in toc (were ok for ulduar though).

Xianth
12-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Never used it.

1st spec (threat): devastate, blocking, vigi
2nd spec (anub): blocking, cleave, vigi

Don't really understand point of having threat spec without glyph of vigi. It's 5% threat more and the person with vigi has 5% less.

Also surprised so many people use ls/sw glyphs, they're completly useless in toc (were ok for ulduar though).

Threat glyphs are "useless" if you don't have threat problems.

Vilge
12-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Obviously you're right.

But let's see when you need cds in toc:

-beasts: 1cd on gormok, 1cd on enraged worm.
-jaraxxus: you have to be kidding
-fc: ^
-twins: once, when there's a shield on opposite target (not really needed but helpful)
-anub: p3, which is shorter than 2 minutes so no benefit from glyphs tbh.

Not saying those glyphs are useless everywhere. In ICC I'm gonna probably take them myself, I've just found it surprising that people use them for ToC. I've never had a situation in which I needed sw/ls and they weren't up. But maybe that's just luck or good healers ;). Tbh threat is bigger issue for me, I can imagine it might be other way around for other tanks.

protonly
12-14-2009, 05:22 AM
What levels of hit rating are you prot warriors using? In my "big nasty" set I have 22 hit (but super high EH and def stats), my heroics set I have 7% hit, and in my "EH with some hit" set about 5% hit. Even in my 5% mix set I will miss taunts...missed 3 on deathbringer saurfang.

I'm curious if I could get away with swapping out to the taunt glyph in my big nasty set and be confident in my taunts (mostly) always landing or for those few fights also stack some hit.

Aggathon
12-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Obviously you're right.

But let's see when you need cds in toc:

-beasts: 1cd on gormok, 1cd on enraged worm.
-jaraxxus: you have to be kidding
-fc: ^
-twins: once, when there's a shield on opposite target (not really needed but helpful)
-anub: p3, which is shorter than 2 minutes so no benefit from glyphs tbh.

Not saying those glyphs are useless everywhere. In ICC I'm gonna probably take them myself, I've just found it surprising that people use them for ToC. I've never had a situation in which I needed sw/ls and they weren't up. But maybe that's just luck or good healers ;). Tbh threat is bigger issue for me, I can imagine it might be other way around for other tanks.

1st off, unless you have 6% hit on your anub add set (which you shouldn't, btw) not only should you not be having threat problems in the first place, but a missed taunt in phase 3 is a wipe, period. There's no reason to use vigilance glyph.

2nd, Beasts: it's nice to have cooldowns back up for icehowl too, I've frequently found myself completely out of cooldowns on this fight in heroic. The glyphs are amazing. I would argue that actually ulduar had less need for them.

3rd, Jaraxxus, I agree he hits like a little kitten, but you can find yourself between a rock and a hard place if things start to go bad, but why would you need threat glyphs on this fight. Imo err on the side of caution and get survivability glpyhs.

4th, FC: I agree you don't usually need cooldowns on this fight, but it is very nice if you get CC'd, and again, threat glyphs here? wut? they don't even have standard threat tables

5th, Twins: In our strategy tanks don't move, so having 2 min shield wall for the opposite color vortex is close to necessary.

6th, Anub add tanking glyphs = cleave, blocking, taunt.

orcstar
12-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I don't understand the negativity people have about blocking and the glyph of blocking.

I use shield block as a reactionary survival cooldown rather then something I press everytime it's up. With 2k sbv and shield block up, you would be blocking for 4k normal, 4.4k with glyph of blocking and I assume 8.8k on a critical block ,that is not trivial mitigation.

Glyph of blocking would add, ~4320 damage absorbed per minute. I see greater returns by popping an indestructible pot. Forgive my bad napkin math if I'm wrong, it's just ment to be a quick estimation.
Extra armor from a bottle and blocking don't exclude eachother, extra armor even empowers blocking.

DogShep
12-14-2009, 05:48 AM
I use shield block as a reactionary survival cooldown rather then something I press everytime it's up. With 2k sbv and shield block up, you would be blocking for 4k normal, 4.4k with glyph of blocking and I assume 8.8k on a critical block ,that is not trivial mitigation.

I think most people in here are talking about TOC/TOGC, where the most important hits you can't block. This is why most tanks just stack stamina recently, because avoidance does so little in the Trials.

orcstar
12-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I think most people in here are talking about TOC/TOGC, where the most important hits you can't block. This is why most tanks just stack stamina recently, because avoidance does so little in the Trials.
Blocking and avoidance at the right time DOES help. Even the non-avoidable hit can often be blocked so shield block helps there. Also blocking and avoidance do help on those so-called non-avoidable scenarios.

Let's see: why do you die from Gormok?
Well: from his insanely hard hitting impale?
Wrong.
You are gona get the impale anyway. You die because you were not fully topped before you got the impale. And how do you help your healers be fully topped? By using avoidance clickies and shieldblock.

DogShep
12-14-2009, 06:20 AM
I agree, it does help at some points, but to give up something else just to get block... I don't see the reason. Sure I pop avoidance CDs just in case I can avoid/block a small hit from Gormok, but I won't go out of my way to stack for avoidance.

So yes, it definitely does help a bit, but not as much where I'll go and stack block.

Squirrelnut
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Apparently I am very late to this discussion but I will throw in my 2cents. I run Blocking / Devastate / Taunt.

Reasoning behind my choices:

Blocking - helps reduce incoming damage, improves outgoing damage and is nice on fights such as Anub'arak ads with my block set.
Devastate - absolutely required, get sunders up faster to improve raid-wide dps, improve threat, added bonus since they buffed devastate in 3.2
Taunt - i find that I do not need reduced Shield Wall, don't have threat issues so don't need Vigilance & glyph of Last Stand is simply bad. Tank swaps can be HUGE depending on the fight and I simply do not see any reason to not use it. In ICC we seem to be getting some more hit itemization on gear again so I might re-consider once fully upgraded in ICC but up to this point in ToC gear it definitely seems like Taunt is the best choice when compared to the other options.

I would give Shield Wall higher priority then Blocking but there aren't that many times when I need my wall so the longer cooldown isn't a problem when used in a spaced out rotation with Last Stand, trinkets & shield block. That added to the fact that when I DO need my shield wall having it reduce 60% of the incoming damage instead of 40% is a nice bonus :D

EDIT: If ICC brings another fight like General then I would definitely switch my glyph of Blocking over to Shield Wall but either way I would likely keep both Devastate and Taunt unless I get a lot more gear upgrades with hit itemization in ICC.

juelz
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I've been running with Glyph of Taunt since we first got to Algalon, and its been useful since then with Gormok and Anubarak adds, but with as much hit on gear as we are getting this tier, I may be switching it out for something else, possibly Vigilance or HS

nRoK
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I have tanked Algalon 25, Toc 25 HM... never used glyph of taunt.

If taunt fails... aoe taunt, mocking blow, and so on.

If the combat have adds around and you don't want to use aoe taunt, put Vigilance on the other tank seconds before you have to taunt, and you will have a no-CD taunt :D (this Strategy is perfect for tank rotation in Gormok or Algalon, plus 3% damage reduced :cool:).

Bodasafa
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I found another fight where Taunt wins for me.

Deathbringer - Since we use 2 tanks to swap on the Rune of Blood having it to ensure quick swaps is nice. I hate saying over vent "I got it".... when I really don't. Sure you can have back ups like mocking blow (challenging is not an option if beasts are spawning) but with as much healing as there is going on (especially later in the fight with several marks up) I don't want healers hesitating if a taunt misses and throw them off.

Squirrelnut
12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I have revised my thinking and plan on dumping the Taunt Glyph in ICC (explained here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/60048-icc-prot-warrior-spec-rambling.html))

Regarding Deathbringer it is really easy to throw vigilance on the other tank a couple seconds before he does Rune of Blood = infinite taunts when needed. Once you have aggro simply switch it to one of the DPS. Benefit is two fold making the healers lives a little easier with 3% less damage taken by the other tank for a while and also making sure you can get your taunt through.

**Note - if tank swapping for that fight... don't use a Druid as the 2nd tank lol. Too easy for them to hit the ads

Aggathon
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Or they could just unglyph maul.

cleetis
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM
just curious as to why all of you use the shield wall glyph. isnt that supposed to be a "panic" button? so why would you use it if you still have a slightly long cool down and take the less damage reduction? if in case it truely is a panic button?

Kazeyonoma
12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
shield wall glyph is to turn it into a more constant cool down kind of how death knights used to chain CDs to tank in Naxx/OS, losing 40% is a pretty significant change from 60% but timing it at specific points and having it over and over again throughout a fight is pretty useful.

Squirrelnut
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't consider Shield Wall a 'panic button' as much as a planned method for reducing incoming damage. Good tanks utilize their cooldowns proactively throughout fights (even on trash) to help healers and make things smooth with no surprises. That combined with a lack of better alternatives = glyph of SW lol

Aggathon
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Ya, I actually click shield wall because I want to make sure I save it for a specific time instead of fat fingering it, I use shield block and last stand more frequently for panic buttons, and trinkets too to an extent.