PDA

View Full Version : Armor Pen v. Strength for Arms

Nimthiriel
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I have a question about Armor Penetration v. strength for an Arms warrior. I'm mainly curious because there were there three Arms warriors including myself in raid tonight and the Arms warrior in Heroic Trial of the Champion gear with no ArP trinket and pure Strength gems was generally kicking the butts of the two Arms warriors who have Grim Toll and gem for ArP, myself included. Would it be more beneficial for me to switch to a non ArP trinket and gem for Strength instead of ArP? I know some people swear by ArP when it comes to Arms but I'm just really curious as to how much of a difference it really makes versus Strength and a non-ArP trinket.

Thank you for your time!

Armory just in case:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Nimthiriel

Wars
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Well it's all about the stuff you have and your ability to interpret spreadsheet dps and turn it from theoretical to actual.

I noticed even with about 35% static ArP(mostly 232 gear, some 245), I'm still not at the point where I can gem ArP and come out on top on overall theoretical dps.

ArP will benefit more in ICC gear.

Make sure you have landsoul's spreadsheet. If you don't know where to get it, repost and I'll grab you a link to Elitist Jerks (http://www.elitistjerks.com), oh wait, that's it. :D

Wars
12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
To continue the point a bit more: You need a certain amount of gear to hit the point where ArP will overtake strength in terms of effectiveness. That is completely dependent on your own gear. If you have the gear for it you can do it, if you don't, strength will win hands down.

I have some "alright" gear for arms. Mostly ArP pieces, but according to the arms sheet, I am still nowhere near the ability to gem for ArP and come out ahead of strength.

A buddy of mine has ArP on every single piece of gear, he's at 101% total static, no grim toll, and let me tell you, 14k on twins, GG. He has complete str gems at that point too, insane dps.

It's all about the balance of available gear you have, not X > Y. Completely situational man.

Juntaou on blackrock if you want to armory him. I don't know if he's in the gear right now.

Good luck! Anymore questions, just bring it on back here and we'll help you out!

EDIT: Just checked out Juntaou's gear and he's switched it up a bit, only 77% static ArP atm, and he's in fury spec. But basically the same gear in arms, and he's a monster.

Nimthiriel
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the reply! I've downloaded the spreedsheet, read the directions and am totally confused. >> I just really suck at using stuff like this and Rawr.

EDIT: Will definitely check out his armory! Thanks!

Nimthiriel
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, my gear is nowhere near his level for one thing. LOL I should probably regem Strength. I wish I could figure out the stupid spreadsheet on the particulars though.