PDA

View Full Version : where should i go

tenhigh88
12-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I am new to the forum and could not find a post that answered my question

I just recently reached level 80 with my prot warrior and i have had no experience with instances or raids. I have read up on how to tank and feel i am ready to start instances. My guy has very basic armor and i was wondering what instances i should be going through to get better equipment.

Here is my guy Warcraft Armory

Insahnity
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
First off, congratulations on finding the right forum to post it in. Please continue to ask questions like this here.

I'd start by reading http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/41986-ciders-easy-540-defense-gear-guide.html

Right now, you first need to figure out the basics, like what stats to watch out for in your gear.

AxLxExX
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
When you first hit 80, you should work on some stats. I'm posting these in order of which you should go for first.
1. Get defense capped. Having 540 defense means that you can tank anything in the game without getting critically hit, thus allowing your healers to keep you alive for the fights. Defense cap opens the door to everything else at 80.
2. Once you get defense capped, I'd work on getting lots of stamina. There is literally nothing wrong with having tons upon tons of health. You're currently at 19k, which is about average for someone that's just hit 80. I'd probably try to get to 24ish before I started trying to get into heroics. The sad thing about WoW today is people won't let you tank unless you're overgeared for the content.
3. Once you have the def cap, and tons of stamina, getting lots of hit and expertise is crucial. Making sure your swings land on the boss means that you're generating threat. By generating threat, dps can do more dps thus pwning faces. Getting these caps is important for harder fights.

To get these stats, tanking heroics is going to be a good idea. At 19k HP right now, without having the defense cap, you need to be doing level 80 regular dungeons. HoL, CoS, and UP are the big ones. Get literally every upgrade you can from them, as well as crafting all the gear you can. There are 3 epic pieces that I think you should get asap. The tempered titansteel helm, the tempered titansteel boots, and the titansteel shieldwall. Those 3 epics will drastically help your avoidance, health, and getting you to the defense cap. I know the shield is absolutely loaded with defense, which is good.

As I said before, once you get to 24-25k HP with the defense cap, I'd start going after heroics. They have more upgrades for you, which will allow you to get into raids. Most people are tempted to go DPS to get into heroic groups to get tank gear. I'd advise against this. The reason is because you need to learn how to tank, not just get gear. Experience brings skill, and in most cases skill > gear.

So for right now, tank regular 80 instances and get whatever upgrades you can, as well as making/buying whatever crafted epics you can. It might help to buy some level 80 blues that are more towards tanking, as I see you have a couple DPS pieces that aren't very good. (no offense, they're just not set towards tanking.)

It might also help to try and find a guild that has people running heroics often. They won't be retarded and demand you have 34k HP to tank a heroic. If you can hook up with a guild that does chain heroics, the gearing process will be drastically easier.

Kazeyonoma
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Defense Minimum* There is no "CAP" for defense.