PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something wrong?

magi583
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
First of all, here is a link to my armory

Wow Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel'dorei&n=Tullaula)

I've been to a few pugs recently (Ony and 10ToC) where I am the OT and I feel as if my gear is lacking. In Ony, I was kicked after 2 wipes because I couldn't hold ALL the whelps and in 10ToC, beast fight sometimes I would be the first to die on the worms (I was tanking Acidmaw) I would kite him away from the raid and move him out of the poison and continue doing that until I would die.

The pug were decently geared for the raid and I didn't see anything that would make me not let them go.

Is it my fault that we wipe and I need to get better gear or it was the healers fault or something along those lines?
My faith in my tanking is losing right now :(

Inaara
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
The real question is, what aren't you doing wrong...

Unger
12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Not sure that is called for Inaara..... There is something about the anonymity of the internet that really makes people behave poorly.....

Looking at your gear, I would say that you are a good 1.5 tiers behind current content. In particular, you need to upgrade those rings. There is a great tanking ring you can get with badges. Pick that one up for sure.

If you want to AOE tank better, there are a couple things you can do. A lot of warrior tanks spec into improved cleave for more threat on multiple mobs. You can also work on a block set that will help get threat via your Damage Shield ability.

However, I would think you would want to use a deep wounds spec (found on this site). I would also say that a warrior should not be the first choice for AOE tanking 25 whelps in Ony... but they are great tanks for Ony herself, since they can berserker rage and break the fear.

Fix your spec to the deep wounds spec, work to improve that gear and forget tanking AOE trash fights. Trying to do that is bound to leave a beginning tank feeling a little insecure. Especially if youre undergeared. Forget the PUG Ony too. Fix the spec and get that easy to obtain gear. You'll be fine.

Aggathon
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
warriors are pretty much eff'd on tanking whelps, I've solo tanked Ony before (pally tank d/c'd mid fight). What I did is found a healer to stand by, all the whelps went to that healer, I'd tclap, shockwave, tclap, then hit shield block for the extra damage shield damage to the whelps, tclap agan, frantically try and tab around and cleave (Though frankly 2 out of 25 mobs, since I wasn't spec'd for cleave and even 3 out of 25 really, is kind of weak). But basically I had just barely enough threat that the AoE could kill off all the whelps by the time I shockwaved again.

Here's the spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:drTzmo)

That's pretty much the cookie cutter tank spec/glyphs right there, obviously you can switch various glyphs out per fight as needed. It's almost exactly what your secondary spec is except I have 2 points out of shield spec and put them into imp disciplines. Your primary spec is kind of an outdated "survival" spec. If you need that go with:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZGV00xZVItMx0didczsGo:drTzmo)

Your gearing gemming could use some work, but it's really not TOO bad and your gemming is decent.

Gemming/Enchants:
Helm: change the gem to 30 stam.

Shoulders: put the 30stam/15resil PvP enchant on your shoulders

Cloak: move to 225 armor

Chest: change enchant to 275 health

Shield: since your HP is low I might recommend 18 stam over 20 defense, but your defense is kinda close to, so whichever is fine.

Trinkets: get rid of the valor trinket asap. Try to pick up either Essence of Gossimir or Glyph of Indominability. This should be your #1 priority at the moment imo. If you can, heart of iron for Ignis 25 is also very very good.

Rings: I agree, pick up clutch of fortification as soon as possible, but prioritize the trinket first

Boots: I'd suggest Tuskarr's Vitality over 22 stam, and also replace the 10 dodge/10 defense gem with a 30 stam gem.

Legs: Regem with dual 30 stam gems

Belt: is perfectly gemmed

Gloves: I'd again say switch to 30 stam, and also enchant with either 18 stam or 240 armor, I prefer armor, but 18 stam is also acceptable.

Making these changes should give you a significant boost in EHP and also increase your threat. Good luck!

magi583
12-05-2009, 10:00 AM
thanks for the advice Aggathon :D

extremely helpful

i will surely change up my enchants and doing my best to get those rings and trinkets but it will take times as i usually just get triumphs from dailys :(