PDA

View Full Version : Many Whelps! Handle It! (25 player) and 3.3

Skyaxe
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
How will the changes to AOE in patch 3.3 (quoted lower in post) change how this achivement is done? Will it even be possible to do? From the below posted patch note, damage on the whelps (90 needed to get the achivement) will be cut by 90% if AOE'ed in one group.

"Many Whelps! Handle It! (25 player): Cause 50 Onyxia Whelplings to hatch within 10 seconds of Onyxia's liftoff, and then defeat her in 25-player mode. " wowhead.com

Note: 50 whelps HATCHED, this excludes the natural 40 whelps that spawn when onyxia takes off.
Note: My numbers might be wrong...

"Area-of-Effect Damage Caps: We’ve redesigned the way area damage is capped when hitting many targets. Instead of a hard cap on total damage done, the game now caps the total damage done at a value equal to the damage the spell would do if it hit 10 targets. In other words, if a spell does 1000 damage to each target, it would hit up to 10 targets for 1000 each, but with more than 10 targets, each target would take 1000 damage divided by the number of targets. 20 targets would be hit for 500 damage each in that example. " Patch 3.3 Patch Notes (http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?page=890)

Viridios
12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
How will the changes to AOE in patch 3.3 (quoted lower in post) change how this achivement is done? Will it even be possible to do? From the below posted patch note, damage on the whelps (90 needed to get the achivement) will be cut by 90% if AOE'ed in one group.

"Many Whelps! Handle It! (25 player): Cause 50 Onyxia Whelplings to hatch within 10 seconds of Onyxia's liftoff, and then defeat her in 25-player mode. " wowhead.com

Note: 50 whelps HATCHED, this excludes the natural 40 whelps that spawn when onyxia takes off.
Note: My numbers might be wrong...

"Area-of-Effect Damage Caps: We’ve redesigned the way area damage is capped when hitting many targets. Instead of a hard cap on total damage done, the game now caps the total damage done at a value equal to the damage the spell would do if it hit 10 targets. In other words, if a spell does 1000 damage to each target, it would hit up to 10 targets for 1000 each, but with more than 10 targets, each target would take 1000 damage divided by the number of targets. 20 targets would be hit for 500 damage each in that example. " Patch 3.3 Patch Notes (http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?page=890)

From what I remember from BC discussions, it's not a major change.

Previously, AoE spells had a specific maximum hard cap of damage per spell. This was generally, but not always, 10x the spell damage for the particular spell. The system then checked the following formulas

Damage per mob = (Cap/mobs =< Singletargetmaxdamage)

Now, the spells will all use the same standardized formula

Damage per mob = Singletargetmaxdamage =< Singletarget*10/mobs

I suspect that the logic behind the change is that it A: standardizes the totals and B: simplifies the programming/processing.

As I recall, part of the reason FoK and Swipe were nerfed a while back is that they didn't have the same cap.

If you want to test it, gather up the Yetis in Feralas with low-rank AoEs. See how much your damage [currently] is reduced when you get a lot of them?

Area damage caps - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Area_damage_caps) says it started in 2.2

vine
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Has anyone managed to get this achievement yet? Half our raid DC's each time. We've tried it every week since Ony came out but healer and tank DC's decimate the attempts.

Brucimus
12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Has anyone managed to get this achievement yet? Half our raid DC's each time. We've tried it every week since Ony came out but healer and tank DC's decimate the attempts.

just turn off ALL of your addons and its no problemo