PDA

View Full Version : New tank!

Vanhellen
12-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey guys. Just finished levelling a paladin to 80 and have been tanking the crap out of regular toc... I love the site, lots of great stuff here. I'm in the process of finishing out questing in icecrown and storm peaks (dinged 80 in sholozar... Wow) so I can get proper head and shoulder chants... although I may wait on the hodir thing since (if 3.3 drops next week) it will be BOA.

This name here is my tank alt... my hunter is Fitzh... both on Bleeding hollow. Feel free to critique. I'm gonna start heroics soon with guildies, since they don't mind heroics that aren't a complete faceroll with an overgeared tank. It'll be like right when wrath came out again! Lol.

Later

Van

Martie
12-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Critique...

Well, you asked for it!

First up, your spec. It looks good for running heroics. (Wait, that's not a critique.)

Next, gear. You have a good set of gear built, there is obviously room for improvement, but this is as good a start as you can get. (No critique either, hrm.)

Lastly, professions. I'd drop skinning for something more usefull as soon as you can.

Sorry I didn't have anything to be critical of, you are off to a great start. It's actually nice to see a "Hi, I'm a new tank" post that comes from someone who has actually read all the stuff we've written here.

Good luck in those heroics, don't forget to mark and have fun!

jere
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Your glyphs are good.

For gear I would try to get that libram and trinket slot upgraded. For the libram, there are some pvp quests in Grizzly Hills that give you Venture Coins. 30 of those (1 set of quests) will net you a nice libram until you can start getting badges. As soon as you get 25 badges, get the libram of the Sacred Shield, which increases your BV by 450 when you use holy shield.

For the trinket, run regular halls of lightning to get the defense one from the last boss. It will hold you over until you can get a more comfortable defense cushion for trading out gear. Once you have that cushion, look to replace it with another stamina trinket. Heroic Azjul Nerub has one off of the 2nd boss. Haste rating is pretty useless though, so replace it with something (tanks stats, AP, crit...something).

For spec, I would suggest taking all 5 points out of divinity and only 1 point out of spiritual attunement and put them in the Retribution tree in some form to get 2/2 Vindication. It is a very good talent, much better than Divinity.

Gems: In general, don't use any gem that doesn't have either Stamina or Stamina+something else. Replace that +16 str gem with a stamina+something purple gem. Also, once you get a comfortable defense cushion, switch your meta to the stamina/armor one. I know you can't do that at the moment (though the defense trinket from halls of lightning would make that possible).

Enchants: work on your Argent Crusade and Sons of Hodir rep for head/shoulder enchants.

Also, I don't know how much you have been working on it, but start looking at threat rotations if not:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/42445-paladin-threat-dps-rotation.html

Vanhellen
12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
I will replace that gem ASAP, and start queuing up for normal HoL. As for the libram, you're right... What a piece of crap.

Thanks for the advice. I've read up on the 969(6969?) stuff, and i have my action bars optimally arranged to make it easy to do. I'll keep perusing the forums.

Oh, and with the head enchants. I'll have enough AC rep for the head soon, but I'm gonna hold off on the shoulder chant until tuesday. That's possibly when the patch is dropping, and i'll be able to buy the exalted chant on my main and mail it to this guy.

Roderigo
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
There's a whole forum for questions. It's in CAPS. Maybe they should move the HALP forum above the general forum. Might mitigate some of these mis-posts.

Vanhellen
12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
how is posting an introduction in general, then participating in a discussion afterwards, a mispost?

Kazeyonoma
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
This belongs in the HALP forum unfortunately.

moved.

Rominoodle
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Not sure if you've done it already, but there is a chest piece that is a quest reward for UP that has more defense then the Tempered Saronite that you are using. Yours works and you are over the defense cap, just making suggestions. Once you upgrade your Daunting Handguards your defense level is gonna drop pretty significantly unfortanutely (I know because I had them too!) H UP drops a good beginning tank sword that I am actually still using because of the stamina on it. You've got a good set up for a beginning tank...when I hit 80 I was tanking heroics with 23k unbuffed health which was a bit of a nightmare, but still definately possible. Once you start getting 226 gear and higher, go for epic gems...they are worth the expense. H ToC will be your best friend and worst enemy...great tanking gear in there, but sometimes it's a huge bitch to get. Keep up the good work!