PDA

View Full Version : Pally Tanking 101

Jarnaies
12-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Hello, first off I read a post about H UP and it helped me tremendously the next night, Thank you!!!
Now, for my questions and hopefully some advice to make me a better tank. One of the things that I find to be the hardest is to hold aggro in an AoE environment. I know that as a DK plague and DnD are area attacks that hit all enemies, but (unless I'm missing something really obvious) I'm left with concencration for area attack, and righteous defense, and hand of reckoning for taunts.
I love my paladin and have gotten pretty good at most heroics but want to get into more raids.

Also, does someone have/know of a macro that will allow me to do a mouseover so that i'll cast hand of reckoning on an enemy that is attacking another party member or one that automatically casts righteous defense on the right party/raid member? Even a macro that targets an enemy that is not targetting me would be helpful.

Tazlex
12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe they built this mechanic back into Righteous Defense where even if the mob itself is selected and you use Righteous Defense on the mob. The Righteous Defense will be cast on that mobs target.

For macro mouse over purposes. I believe something along this...

/cast [target=mouseover] Hand of Reckoning

Should suffice. Obviously you can change the 'mouseover' part to Focus, Target, Player, what not depending on your needs. Such as needing a stun or whatever the situation desires.

AoE tanking you have quite a few tools at your disposal. Before you pull any mob or begin tanking. You can preemptively cast Holy Shield so that it is up. You also have Avenger's Shield which hits up to 3 targets, and Hammer of the Righteous also hits 3 targets (4 if you glyph but the glyph is not recommended at all).

PvtCaboose
12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
The macro is easy, I use one myself its:
#showtooltip Hand of Reckoning
/cast [target=mouseover]Hand of Reckoning

Also, about your threat ablilities; I don't usually have a problem as long as I start of with the basics. I throw my shield, drop consecrate, make sure holy shield is up and use Hammer of the Righteous (which if glyphed hits 4 targets IIRC). You can also tab target and use shield slam on others to increase threat gen.

EDIT: Taz beat me to it.

bth2376
12-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm going to use Onyxia as an example in explaining AoE threat and what can happen to it.

In Onyxia, mobs of whelps spawn. Say you're assigned to the whelps, so you drop a consecrate. You're consecrate gets them on you no problem, until some ultra cool warrior comes in and decides to pop bladestorm and swirl around while you have virtually little aggro.

This is the time to use "Righteous Defense."

"Come to the defense of a friendly target, commanding up to 3 enemies attacking the target to attack the Paladin instead."

This causes up to three enemies to attack you instead of the ultra cool warrior who bladestormed.

Another thing that helps a lot with AoE threat is Hammer of the Righteous.

"Hammer the current target and up to 2 additional nearby targets, causing 4 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage."

Therefore, you're hitting two additional targets (three if you're glyphed into it), and you're causing high holy threat (as long as you have Righteous Fury on).

Other then that, you of course have Hand of Salvation which I use on healers or hard-headed dps when I know there's a chance they're going to get aggro.

"Places a Hand on the party or raid member, reducing their total threat by 2% every 1 sec. for 10 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time."

2% less threat may not seem like a lot, but that's 2% less you'll have to get off them.

So anyways, back to my awesome whelp story.

So you lay your consecrate, and you begin to pick up the whelps. Some warrior, probably an orc, decides, "Hey look at me, I'm big, ugly, green, and I has a big weapon. I'm going to go in swirls doing over 9000 damage and go nuts on everything while you don't have aggro."

The warrior gets aggro.

BUT WHAT DO WE DO?

BOOM. Righteous Defense, Hammer of the Righteous, and boom, Hand of Reckoning if it's still necessary. And if you really want to hit the nail on the head, you can use Hand of Salvation on him, because guarantee if he's a moron dps, he won't get the hint that you need to get aggro.

I hope I helped. :D

Oh, and all quoted information is from www.wowhead.com (http://www.wowhead.com).

P.S I've been told I talk to people like they're morons. I'm really not trying to, I just hate it when people give me lengthy scientific explanations that I really don't have the attention span to pay attention to. That's why sometimes my posts and replies seem comedic or simple.

Fact: I've edited this 4 times.

Ashaliel
12-02-2009, 09:00 AM
"Some warrior, probably an orc, decides, "Hey look at me, I'm big, ugly, green, and I has a big weapon. I'm going to go in swirls doing over 9000 damage and go nuts on everything while you don't have aggro."

Lol, so true. Ours is a suicidal cow that does that.

PvtCaboose
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Lol, so true. Ours is a suicidal cow that does that.

The best is sweeping strikes + Blade Storm = Ridonculus.

Jarnaies
12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
thank you for the advice. If I have any additional questions I'll post em. :D