PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for ToGC10????

gundecker
11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Here's my armory link. I don't gem for stam as I have a trinket that I can swap out the armor trinket for if I need more EH that will boost me up to 38k.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronzebeard&n=Bearlicious)

fuddjupp
11-30-2009, 03:10 AM
You are not ready for ToGC10.

Gear
First of all change your meta to the +32stam/2% armor gem. Stop gemming avoid and really stop gemming parry. If you want to perform good in ToGC you should go for stamina gems. I would also recommend changing your weapon enchant to Bloodrain/Bladeward/Mongoose. 25hit/crit is a threat enchant and threat should not be an issuse in ToGC (even without the enchant your at ~200 hit which is more than enough).

Specc
You took 2% crit over 2 points in Focues Rage. I don't think this is a good choice. You will benefit MUCH more in 3/3 Focused Rage than from 2% more crit.

Aggathon
11-30-2009, 03:14 AM
I don't gem for stam as I have a trinket that I can swap out the armor trinket for if I need more EH that will boost me up to 38k.

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Xianth
11-30-2009, 03:33 AM
You are not ready for ToGC10.

Gear
First of all change your meta to the +32stam/2% armor gem. Stop gemming avoid and really stop gemming parry. If you want to perform good in ToGC you should go for stamina gems. I would also recommend changing your weapon enchant to Bloodrain/Bladeward/Mongoose. 25hit/crit is a threat enchant and threat should not be an issuse in ToGC (even without the enchant your at ~200 hit which is more than enough).

Although this is all good advice for him, his gear is still "sufficient" to be able to do togc10 even with all the bad socketing... :p

Xianth
11-30-2009, 03:35 AM
I don't gem for stam as I have a trinket that I can swap out the armor trinket for if I need more EH that will boost me up to 38k.

On the contrary, you are better off gemming for stam and then equipping avoidance the trinkets if you ever need avoidance, meaning for fight where pure EH is needed (quite a bit of ToGC10) you can stick to stamina trinkets and have a much higher healthpool.

Barta
11-30-2009, 03:46 AM
On the contrary, you are better off gemming for stam and then equipping avoidance the trinkets if you ever need avoidance, meaning for fight where pure EH is needed (quite a bit of ToGC10) you can stick to stamina trinkets and have a much higher healthpool.

this

gundecker
11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I take it for those of you that drop hit and exp to stack stam, you're taking Misdirects and Tricks of the Trade pulls, especially for those of you that are prot warriors. I also suppose you guys are also raiding in core groups that always have competent hunters and rogues. The reason why I don't drop hit and exp is because my guild's core raid group isn't always definite. There may be times where we don't have a hunter or rogue so I can't rely on their threat generating abilities to save my ass. If anything, I'll drop the hit/stam gems to stack straight stam since I'm glyphed for taunt.

I can't seem to understand how a prot warrior can maintain threat with low hit and exp unless he's doing MD's and TOTT pulls. Pallies, druids, and DK's...that's a different story.

Aggathon
11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I sometimes have tricks and MDs, but I also do a lot of PuG runs and the rogues there don't usually tricks and MD me. I have 60 hit and 36 expertise in my EHP gear and have zero threat issues.

gundecker
11-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow...I always have threat issues. I normally put vigilance on either a hunter or a competent warlock.

I follow the devastate/shield block/shield slam/revenge priority rotation and spam heroic strike and I'm usually running tight with the other tank or dps...

Do you see anything in my spec that may be the cause of threat issues?

Tranzavagn
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Look, there's one thing called pure stamina gems...

Leo99
12-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Well bro let me put it like this, technically you are ready for ToGC but not as a MT nor a off tank but just an extra body, cause you wont be able to take the hits as a MT or OT, you will be getting hit harder then the rest you need to remember that warriors are broken in so many ways especially in prot. So in order to fix that you need stamina and even if you got the ones from Faction and Heroic faction you need a lot of stam, if you dont mind me asking how much are you fully raid buffed? Cause I am sitting at 52.6k HP that is with flask and my food buff, not the fish feast. also if you are having threat issues its your spec and your enchants. if you check out my gear, I dont have threat issues cause I am expertise cap. My spec is 15/3/53 but as you can tell my glyph are what I rely most of having having Glyph of Vigilance does help out a lot on threat, so try to keep that in mind also if you want a good boost of threat get Blade Ward enchant, I am surprised that no one told you to what to replace it with, that will boost your threat too, don't rely to much on rogues are hunters for MD or tricks, you need to have a set base like mine is having 7k tps (Threat Per Second) without help, if you want we could work on your rotation and also on your spec. Oh yeah we cannot forget about gemming properly either. :)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Winterhoof&n=Le%C3%B3 btw could you guys teach me how to put my wow armory like yours this is so messy I know I apologize.

edited by Penlowe, font and color text abuse

gundecker
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
What is your current rotation, Leo????

Fledern
12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
punctuation, paragraphing and taking out the incorrect stuff (warriors are broken ?!?!?) would make that a lot more legible leo.

To the OP. For ToGC, you want as much EH as possible. That's more armor & hp basically. A LOT of the damage is simply unavoidable where all that stam does more for you than all those dodge/parry gems ever will. You'll notice it the first time you engage Gormok as he's sort of the tank check for the entire instance and is capable of nuking down your whole hp pool in less than a second.

I'd say your gear isnt bad at all. Gemming for more stam instead of avoidance would probably get you ready. Also consider the pvp shoulder enchant - 30 stam is more useful than the minor avoidance from the hodir enchant.

For weapon, i'm a great fan of Blood Draining. It's saved my butt so many times.

Despite all the shouts for you to drop +hit from your gear, i find 200-ish hitrating to be good. I can properly put out taunts without a glyph and never miss while the hp hit i take is near minimal (i have two hit/stam gems in my regular gear, none in my EH gear ofc). 40K hp with 200 hit is a nice point. Until you reach that 40K though, you might still want to prefer stam over hit

Xianth
12-03-2009, 03:52 AM
I take it for those of you that drop hit and exp to stack stam, you're taking Misdirects and Tricks of the Trade pulls, especially for those of you that are prot warriors. I also suppose you guys are also raiding in core groups that always have competent hunters and rogues. The reason why I don't drop hit and exp is because my guild's core raid group isn't always definite. There may be times where we don't have a hunter or rogue so I can't rely on their threat generating abilities to save my ass. If anything, I'll drop the hit/stam gems to stack straight stam since I'm glyphed for taunt.

I can't seem to understand how a prot warrior can maintain threat with low hit and exp unless he's doing MD's and TOTT pulls. Pallies, druids, and DK's...that's a different story.

Well, most tanks will have enough expertise at this level and I always use it in red sockets to get the stam bonuses anyway. Besides, expertise is nice from both and offensive and defensive perspective. Hit on the other hand, isn't, so I never socket for it. If you really need more hit though you're better off swapping in one or two hit pieces (for example, t8/8.5 gloves with hit enchant or a weapon, such as titanguard, with accuracy enchant) on fights which push your threat than socketing for it, because it means you're much stronger on the fights where you need to go max survival. Hit food is also a free ~1.2%.

It's easy for me to talk about hit though, as i run only 10 mans the BIS available to me has about 6% hit on already. You'll soon find you'll have less of an issue with hit if you get the boots and bracers from ToGC10.

Mr.Winkle
12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
TBH gundeck the prrof of the pudding is in the eating.

Get yourself over to TOGC 10 and see if you survive. As a healer for my guilds TOGC10 runs i can tell you i've seen out warrior who has greater EH die in 0.001 seconds to Gormok. I.E the melee strike, coupled with a stomp and an impale dot all occured at the same time and destroyed him from 100% to 0%.

This is the simple reason why you need as much EH as you can in TOGC>

Aggathon
12-03-2009, 04:02 AM
It was mentioned that bladeward was a good threat enchant? It's not. Mongoose is better if you're looking for threat.

Also, I don't know if you listed the rotation in the order you do it in or were just listing abilities, but shield slam should be your number one threat ability. I usually open with shield slam, I start getting sunders up and revenge when it's up, always prioritizing shield slam/sword and board procs. Often when I start after the first shield slam to get glyph of blocking up I'll hit shield block and get as many shield slams in as I can while it is up (usually 2, sometimes 3). It will give you a nice threat lead. Unless you have the glyph of devastate, the priority order goes:

Shield slam -> Revenge -> Devastate, always keep HS up, and I also usually use SS and conq blow on cooldown.

gundecker
12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
It was mentioned that bladeward was a good threat enchant? It's not. Mongoose is better if you're looking for threat.

Also, I don't know if you listed the rotation in the order you do it in or were just listing abilities, but shield slam should be your number one threat ability. I usually open with shield slam, I start getting sunders up and revenge when it's up, always prioritizing shield slam/sword and board procs. Often when I start after the first shield slam to get glyph of blocking up I'll hit shield block and get as many shield slams in as I can while it is up (usually 2, sometimes 3). It will give you a nice threat lead. Unless you have the glyph of devastate, the priority order goes:

Shield slam -> Revenge -> Devastate, always keep HS up, and I also usually use SS and conq blow on cooldown.

This is what I follow. I just threw out abilities in a random fashion.

Dresk
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I routinely tank ToC10 without a single rogue or hunter in the raid. Our raid comp last save was prot war, bear tank, holy paladin, holy priest, disc priest, blood/frost dk (changes with fights), retadin, blood dk, arcane mage, fury war and later in the raid ele sham. I NEVER have threat problems.

The dps in my raid varies based on the fight but the only time anyone comes close to taking threat at all is on Icehowl and only then if I end up on the opposite side of the room from where he hits the wall on a crash. Kind of hard for me to build threat on a target I can't reach ;)

Twin valk can be a little scary for threat at the very beginning if I get an unlucky miss or two in a row.

gundecker
12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
TBH gundeck the prrof of the pudding is in the eating.

Get yourself over to TOGC 10 and see if you survive. As a healer for my guilds TOGC10 runs i can tell you i've seen out warrior who has greater EH die in 0.001 seconds to Gormok. I.E the melee strike, coupled with a stomp and an impale dot all occured at the same time and destroyed him from 100% to 0%.

This is the simple reason why you need as much EH as you can in TOGC>

I did find out first hand how difficult it was to survive through the NRB. Within 10 attempts, we called it. We were able to make it to the worms twice. With two healers, and blowing CD's, it went fairly well. I feel that DPS was lacking when it came to downing snobolds that were on healers or tanks. Other times, fire bombs wiped us. Of the two times we made it to the worms, after the first burrow phase, when I went to taunt Acidmaw, my taunt missed and wiped like three or four dps. I quickly charged in and hit mocking blow to try and get him back. One of the hunters put up a MD back to be and some dumbass warlock kept dpsing and faced him the wrong way again. As always, it's the tanks fault. People still don't understand the aggro wipe when they emerge.

I think ToGC10 is certainly doable with 36-37k unbuffed health just as long as everyone in the raid group plays smart and does what they're supposed to. I suppose that's why it's suggested to have higher stamina...to compensate for other people's stupidity...

Dresk
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I think ToGC10 is certainly doable with 36-37k unbuffed health just as long as everyone in the raid group plays smart and does what they're supposed to. I suppose that's why it's suggested to have higher stamina...to compensate for other people's stupidity...

I tank NRB with about 39k unbuffed health and 30k armor. I don't have threat troubles and I can honestly tell you that the difference between the 36k health I had when we started killing NRB and the almost 39k I have now has made a huge difference. There were so many times I would die to an impale or something and the combat log would show like 800-1500 overkill. Had I been using blood draining (getting it on my new weapon ASAP) and had I had the health I have now... those deaths wouldn't have occurred. More health and more armor never hurt in ToGC.

Of the two times we made it to the worms, after the first burrow phase, when I went to taunt Acidmaw, my taunt missed and wiped like three or four dps. I quickly charged in and hit mocking blow to try and get him back. One of the hunters put up a MD back to be and some dumbass warlock kept dpsing and faced him the wrong way again. As always, it's the tanks fault. People still don't understand the aggro wipe when they emerge.

People certainly need to be aware that there is a threat wipe. Also, it is usually easy to follow the worms while they are submerged so you know where to stand to grab them as soon as they emerge. It is not the fault of the DPS if you are slow to grab the worm when you have a chance to grab aggro a little more quickly. Not saying that you were slow to grab them but I have certainly learned that less the hard way in my tanking ToGC.