PDA

View Full Version : AOE Tanking

Atalon
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi all,

I find that when I ran Heroic pugs I never have a problem controlling adds, but whenever I do one with my guild I do.

The issue is that when I ran with a pug they actually try to attack the target I select or they are NOOBs and thus do low dps so my tab through/cleave is sufficient to hold down the adds.

I should note that I never have a problem clearing a heroic in either case, but I try to NEVER lose agro in a heroic. Running with my guild makes me feel noob as the adds are all over the place and generally only a taunt will bring them back. This is not an issue as the dps is very high min 3k+ and the heals are solid, but I still feel like im failing.

Anyone have a way I can solve this problem?

Also, I am trying to find ways to practice my AOE tanking but I find that pugs make it easy while guild impossible (as things die to quick for me to get control). Is there a way i can practice aoe tanking in a solo manner?

I am including my character for reference.

Thanks,

Atalon
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Forgotten+Coast&n=Atalon)

zuke8675309
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I suppose you could up your expertise to help with threat, but realistically I'm not sure why you're concerned about this in a heroic. You're a warrior tank and you have guildies who DPS hard and fast and pull aggro (and probably outgear you) on trash packs - not something I'd be too concerned about. You don't have Righteous Fury or the snap aoe threat of a frost DK. If they don't like pulling aggro, they could a) single target or b) give you more than a microsecond to build threat.

MellvarTank
11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Vigilance the highest dps and tab-devastate while the mobs are stunned with shockwave. If they out-gear you then you will have problems.

Bung
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
It's possible that your pugs contain dps that understand the importance of letting you get aggro. Give you guildies some guidelines about waiting to dps. Second you should increase your expertise a bit. Glyph for sunder armor and cleave if you want to maximise your aoe.

Insahnity
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Aside from what was said before:

Your threat issues may be a combination of gearing (low expertise and hit) as well as rotation (how quickly you can pull off a TC + Shockwave before the DPS lays in. Need more info on your rotation.

As for gearing, you could stand some improvement on expertise. Some things to consider:
-Get your smithing up. It's a pain, yes I know, but suck it up and get going on it. Get your bracers and gloves socketed. And remember, it stacks with existing enchants.
-Fro bracers, although 40 stam is optimal, for the time being you might go with 15 expertise on bracers.
-As a warrior, avoid gemming for agility. That's for paladins and druids. When your threat stats are balanced, then you can tinker with dodge/stam or if you *really* understand what you are doing, parry/stam (but you would need be able to explain to somebody the 1.88 ratio before you do this). For now, swap out the agi/stam for expertise stam.
-Your weapon is not enchanted. Get going on that. Same with cloak, it's gonna last you quite a while, so don't go cheap on it.

uglybbtoo
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
This has been covered and covered

When the DPS are highly geared you will not be able to hold the off targets with cleaving from there normal splash damage from there aoe attacks ... locks seed, mages LB, shaman LB, Pally cons, DK DND etc all become a problem.

The only option aside from asking them not to use there AOE attacks or at least us them much latter is to get rid of the cleaving crutch. Take the spell put it into some distance point on your toolbar and now pretend the mob is infact a single target and tank them by tabbing thru using you normal high threat attacks SS/REV/DEV along with thunderclap and shockwave. Practice and you will suddenly find tanking multi mobs with high DPS splash damage becomes alot easier.