PDA

View Full Version : Tanking whelps in ony.

Asperita
11-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Im a dk so unfortunately I am almost always on whelp duty. The initial transition to p2 is easy as all the whelps come into the raid at the same time in a group but when the second and third whelp groups come out during the fight they come out sporadically. Is there any way for me to grab them faster than just taunting/waiting for them to wander into my DnD?

Hobnob
11-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Unless your standing there ready,

or put the DnD closer... they are not designed to just aggro to the right person in the raid ;)

Synapse
11-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately? What would you rather do, stare blankly at the boss?
Make sure your healers follow you so you can keep track of most of their routes. Also, watch both caves to see them as they come. If you're frost, howling blast helps.

Asperita
11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
o.O I prefer to tank the elites as the situation Im actually referring to is 25m onyxia which most raids on my server use 3 tanks. wouldnt placing dnd further into the cave spawn more whelps? or is it based on player proximity only?

Daereg
11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Im actually referring to is 25m onyxia which most raids on my server use 3 tanks.
Why would you need more than 1(2 if your being cautious).
If the whelps are giving you trouble, just ask everyone to group up in the middle and your AOE and attacks combined should be enough to pick em up, or at least pick up a good few of them so not everyone gets battered.
I find it very laggy when all the whelps are being AOE'd, but usually manage to pick a good few up, and the ones that I don't pick up, don't hit hard to begin with.

Simply put, tell your raid to stand on your AOE moves.

zuke8675309
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
It's ok to wait at the cave mouth for several seconds to pick up the whelps that are coming out if you are 3 tanking it. Sounds to me like maybe you're rushing things a bit in order to get the whelps from both sides together.

There will often be stray whelps. That's not a sign of you failing at your job. Healers and DPS that get a whelp on them need to come stack on you and your AoE abilities should easily take over.

I almost always ask the raid leader to put the green triangle or pink diamond on me for high contrast and then tell healers/dps if they get a whelp its their job to come to me. Calling out "get this whelp off me" on raid chat does absolutely no good. Conversely, when I do ony10/25 on my warlock, if I'm AoEing whelps I *always* go stand right on top of the whelp tank so that even if I do aggro one of them, they aren't going to live long enough that it matters.

Honakwar
11-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Why would you need more than 1(2 if your being cautious).

having 2-3 tanks in ony i have found works much better for pugs as it helps keep whelps off the healers with only one tank he will be tanking either ony or the elite add leaving whelps hard for him to get control of also if ony comes down while there is still and add up its a little bit more of a pain as well (but it isnt impossible to tank with only 1 tank as well if your tank is willing make a large effort)

madocks
11-30-2009, 04:51 AM
tell the healers to spread out all over the room to make your job more fun :D

or perhaps get the healers to run to you :D

uglybbtoo
12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
It's ok to wait at the cave mouth for several seconds to pick up the whelps that are coming out if you are 3 tanking it. Sounds to me like maybe you're rushing things a bit in order to get the whelps from both sides together.

There will often be stray whelps. That's not a sign of you failing at your job. Healers and DPS that get a whelp on them need to come stack on you and your AoE abilities should easily take over.

I almost always ask the raid leader to put the green triangle or pink diamond on me for high contrast and then tell healers/dps if they get a whelp its their job to come to me. Calling out "get this whelp off me" on raid chat does absolutely no good. Conversely, when I do ony10/25 on my warlock, if I'm AoEing whelps I *always* go stand right on top of the whelp tank so that even if I do aggro one of them, they aren't going to live long enough that it matters.

^^^^^^ This don't rush you don't get bonus points for killing the welps fast.

And if you have DND down and any healer or dps doesn't realize all they have to do is walk over and stand in it to get the welp of them they deserve to die.