PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior ToGC 10 Minimum Stats

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 12:10 AM
My guild is currently progressing into ToGC 10, we havent cleared any bosses yet, we got Icehowl down to 40k health, but i was wondering if my stats were par for the requirement for ToGC 10.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&n=Dimetris)

For Gormak, i use Black heart and a brewfest trink, i have the furnace stone, black heart, onyxia 245 trink, Glyph of indom, and 1 brewfest trink.

Also, i was thinking about buying the 75 EoT non tier helm, instead of waiting for a trophy to get the tier helm, because the 2 set bonus isn't all that great.

Appreciate any help =)

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Yoursetup looks fine. I would actually focus on the shoulders first imo. Put the 30stam/15resil enchant on them, and move your red gem for your meta to your legs (higher stam bonus). I really like the Helm of Wrath, if I were you I'd hold out for it unless I had badges sitting around and still a bad helm. I would also tend to concur that the best two trinkets for you to use in ToGC are 1 brewfest and the black heart.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Yea i have 90 Embles of triumph so i wanted that helm, i feel like i need more expertise and hit though, so i want that non tier 75 emblem helm but i dont want to lose all that Block chance. From looking at Rawr ive tried 3 different sets of armor, my current gear, my gear with non tier helm, and my current gear with the 245 trophy helm, the major difference i see between the 2 helms is, less than 1 % difference in dodge, parry, block, total avoidance, total mitigation, and 30 less Dmg taken per second. my TPS actually GOES DOWN by roughly 100 TPS.
i get slightly more mitigation with non tier helm, slightly more survivability with tier helm, slightly more Threat with tier helm. But i dont see how, and im confused, and of course there is more stam with the tier helm because of the socket color, 10 dodge 15stam gem being in the tier helm, but idk wat gem to put in the non tier helm, if i were to get it

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Helm of Wrath is actually better than any of them just because of the increased EHP. I prefer the Teir helm over the non-teir just because it gives a +12stam gem bonus that fits the meta, so it is also an increase in EHP, though extremely marginal.

They're all good helms, no one would turn their nose up at you for picking any one over the other. As far as gem in the non-teir, many people decide that losing the 3 stam by putting in a yellow/blue gem (usually defense/stam) is worth the gain of the other stat.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah i just wish i had a Trophy to use. I'm the only warrior tank in the guild, atleast that raids regularly, so the Helm of Wrath would go to me if it would have drop. Ran it every week since it came out, havent seen it once = /
I think im going to go with the non tier helm just for the expertise. I was thinking about doing the unthinkable and putting in expertise and defense gem? is there one? i think there is. Not sure though

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
There should be, but if you're going to put in an exp gem just change the red gem that's hitting your meta bonus to a stam/expertise

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh ok, thank you
Another question, i looked at your spec and glyphs and stuff, just out of curiousity to pass the time til a reply, and i noticed you have Last Stand and Taunt, Why not Blocking? I usually run without cleaving for when i MT and go with Last stand, but taunt over blocking?

Strit
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh ok, thank you
Another question, i looked at your spec and glyphs and stuff, just out of curiousity to pass the time til a reply, and i noticed you have Last Stand and Taunt, Why not Blocking? I usually run without cleaving for when i MT and go with Last stand, but taunt over blocking?

I think the reason for this, is that when you are in endgame raiding, the 10% block value don't do much unless you are tanking adds on Anub, while the Taunt glyph will almost garantee that Taunt hits.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Well thats true, but if my taunt fails i use my Mocking Blow macro.

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 12:59 AM
To be honest it really is for taunting gormok, and I outgear the other 3 fights (and a completely different set/spec for anub adds) so... I'm typically to lazy to take out the taunt glyph, but I do actually have stacks of a bunch of other glyphs in my bags and bank and blocking is the one I switch out most often.

I keep the following glyphs on my person at all times:

Last Stand
Blocking
Cleaving
Devastate
Taunt

And Shield Wall seems to be more rare/expensive, so I don't actually have a stack of it, I just always have it glyphed for that particular spec.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah, i've learned to keep the shield wall glyph, because of the imp disciples talent. But i stay away from the taunt glyph because i use mocking blow macro if it doesnt work. I use heroic strike glyph sometimes

fuddjupp
11-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Specc & Glyphs:
Your specc is fine for tanking ToGC (although I would choose HS over Tactical Mastery). But I would really recommend using another Glyph instead of Shockwave since this Glyph has (small) benefits when dealing with trash.
Glyph of Taunt is great (and necessary) for many hardmode fights as Gromok or when you tank the adds on Anub.
Yes you can use Mocking Blow when your taunt fails, but what if MB fails too? On a fight like Gromok on hardmode it would be very critical! With Glyph of Taunt nothing can go wrong. If you're lookin for more threat Glyph of Devastate is the best choice.

Gear:
Go and get Headplate of the Honorbound - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47678). It's awesome for warriors and better than the Tier helm, since nobody in the world needs Block Value. The T9 2pc ist great and you should really go for it, on the other hand the 4pc is nothing you should aim for. I use T9 shoulders and hands together with the nonset BiS items.

Your legs are the weakest part of your gear at the moment. SBV/SBR doesn't help a lot against 20k hits (but they are usefull for Anub Add tanking!). I would look for one of these:

1. Legplates of Feverish Dedication - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47273) Jaraxxus 25man normal
2. Gilded Steel Legplates - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45295) Leviathan 10man hardmode

Get lucky on Jaraxxus 25man or go grab some friends and kill Leviathan in Ulduar 10man hardmode, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Trinkets:
For Gromok I would really use the Black Heart togheter with Glyph of Indomitability. Actually I would use them always over Ony's Trinket and Brewfest. Only take the Brewfest over Glyph of Indomitability on heavy magic damage fights where armor is useless.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Why wouldnt i aim for the 4pc? i think its way better than the 2pc set bonus. I usually carry a glyph of last stand instead of shockwave. I actually like my legs tho, why wouldn't i need SBV or SBR?

Haur
11-26-2009, 01:59 AM
SBR is a chance to block for a SBV, so you have around 20% (more if you doing it wrong and stack SBR) chance to block for 1000 (more if you doing it wrong and stack SBV) dmg per hit. Since bosses hit for 10-20k you will remove 1000 dmg from every 5th hit. This is useless and way too random, go for sta and armor (dodge/parry is better then SBR/SBV but its still random).

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
So this is my armory now, tell me what you think, havent replaced legs yet.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&n=Dimetris

fuddjupp
11-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Why wouldnt i aim for the 4pc? i think its way better than the 2pc set bonus. I usually carry a glyph of last stand instead of shockwave. I actually like my legs tho, why wouldn't i need SBV or SBR?

SBR/SBV
Blockrating is very inferior stat in many terms of survival. Bosses hit you for 20k to 30k and most times you will block only 1k dmg (if you are 'very' lucky with crit block ~2k). Therefore block is very weak to make you survive hard hits. Instead of SBR/SBV rating you could get an item giving you parry/dodge/armor which would increase your survival A LOT more. Even for threat hit and expertise are MUCH better than SBR/SBV.
SBR/SBV is great for mobs hitting you fast with small hits. But no boss does this atm.

4pc
The T9 4pc reduces your cooldown on Shieldblock by 10sec. Shieldblock is an SBR/SBV mechanic and as written above SBR/SBV is very weak against progression encounters. I use Shielblock as an DPS/Threat increasing ability and don't really use it as a survival cooldown, trinkets, LS, SW and cooldowns from healers help your survive much better.

So why not use 4pc as DPS/Threat increase? Because I think that the non-set BiS items provide much more benefit to threat! I use T9 shoulers + hands which are very good itemized. I use non-set helm, legs, chest with def/avoid/expertise which are itemized great! In fact they are itemized much better than T9 items. The T9 head and legs both have SBV on it which is less usefull than expertise. With expertise ALL (incl. Shieldslam) of your attacks get a DPS boost, with SBV only Shieldslam and Damage Shield get a bonus.

On the other hand the T9 2pc is nice to have, because T9 shoulders, hands and chest are good itemized and the 2pc buffs Devastate a core ability.

So this is my armory now, tell me what you think, havent replaced legs yet.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&n=Dimetris)

Why do you use a orange gem in your helm? It's a yellow socket and you could use 10def/15stam or 10hit/15stam. You have enough def-rating from items so I would look for some extra stamina.

If you need red gems to activate your meta better use some purple gems (10dodge/15stam 10exp/15stam) in red sockets providing you with a +9/+6 stamina bonus like your chest, belt, boots, shoulders.

--------------------

P.S.: There is a encounter which favors using SBR/SBV. When you are tanking adds on Anub heroic an unhittable set is win. Also Loatheb was funny with SBR/SBV but well who cares about Loatheb...

edit: of course i ment T9 and not T10^^

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Fudd, how did you get ahold of T10?! (I think he means T9)

Aggathon
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
@the OP:

I went ahead and hopped on WoW before I left for Thanksgiving and logged out in my EHP gear (Also: I sometimes switch out clutch of fortification for the heroic version of band of the traitor king if a fight has any magical component to it, but that's a really minor detail) so that you could get a look at possible gear setups/gemming. The only upgrades I really have atm are the 258 versions of any non-heroic 245 gear I have, so gemming would remain pretty much the same.

DimetrisDoA
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I used a orange gem to get the expertise, i needed 10 more to be capped exactly, so id use the orange gem so i culd get 10 exp (cap) 10 def and 12 stam. And i understand now how block is inferior i was confused, i thought it did something different, disregard that, im a noob lol.

Sinister6
11-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I actually quite like the taunt glyph, todays togc i actually missed taunt, then missed challenging shout and missed taunt again.. talk about lucky.. i finally taunt again and OT is on stack5...grr..