PDA

View Full Version : I'm Confused

Taishar
11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
First time posting here, though I've been reading forever. I need advice.

I recently switched weapons from Broken Promise to heroic Blood and Glory and since I've done so my TPS has gone down the drain. I'm expertise capped in my raid gear, and the hit difference between the two weapons in nominal because of gemming (it's 6 hit rating, woo). I'm max skill on both weapons. Switching nothing but weapons I get a huge TPS boost by going back to BP.

Can anyone tell me why this is? The top end is higher on BP and it's slower; is this reckoning procs causing the TPS boost? Should I spec out of reckoning (I've got 3 points in it atm) with the faster weapon? I'd like to use the faster mace because the stats on it are infinitely better, but my guild is insaneface crazy with the dps, and I can't afford the TPS loss.

Help?

Quinafoi
11-25-2009, 09:19 PM
The two weapons have significantly different attack speeds. Check your rotation for abilities which involve something that says "deals 100% weapon damage plus..." because these types of abilities scale better if the weapon does more damage (and slower weapons typically have higher damage to balance out the DPS value of the item).

uglybbtoo
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Theck did a full analysis of threat

MATLAB TPS Analysis (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/theorycraft/matlab-tps-analysis)

I believe there is an update for 3.2.2 because slow weapons actually got better with the changes.

And it notes what you are seeing about broken promise

<<< quote >>>>

For the most part, with tanking weapons higher ilvl wins out. The one exception is Broken Promise, as it's the only slow (2.6 speed) tanking weapon available, and thus performs on par with Sorthalis from Ulduar. The new Quel'Serrar weapons perform about a half-tier behind equivalent ilvls due to their lack of threat stats, despite being 2.0 speed.

<<unquote>>

Suggestion:

Try one of the two suggested specs 0/53/18 (DUH mobs) or 0/54/17 (non DUH) and use the summary guide

TLDR Summary:

STR is our best threat stat until around 2900 BV, at which point Hit surpasses it.
BV, while nice, isn't really something we should stack for threat. STR is better point per point, and doesn't push you into the DR range of ShoR as quickly. Obviously take what you can get as far as gear goes, but if you get to choose between 10 STR or 31 BV, always take the 10 STR.
General gearing strategy for threat: Stack STR until you have 2900 BV, then stack hit rating to 8%, then continue with STR.
I can say it works but like all things in tanking its a balancing act somewhere in that you have to balance survability so what you end up doing is trading stats between those two extremes.

<EDIT>
Just found the link by accident doing something else

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?p=496509&rb_v=viewtopic (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?p=496509&rb_v=viewtopic)

And from it the broken promise should be around the same threat as the blood and glory
if specced correctly but you would take blood and glory for its other tanking stats.

TPS
Weapon ilvl 1V+3C 3R+1V+3C
Broken Promise 213 7744 7856
Crusader's Glory (232) 232 7696 7770
Crusader's Glory (245) 245 7825 7902
<END EDIT>