PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Death Knight (Tank)

Raiven
11-25-2009, 03:41 AM
I was told that Death Knight no matter what Spec they are its impossible to be a Main Tank for anything more then a Heroic Dungeons and even then its pushing it. So I was wondering is this true, am I wasting my time time working on leveling a DK that I wanted to get geared so I could Main Tank stuff for my guild or is the person I talked to have no Idea what he is talking about? I was thinking about this for a few days now and i decided to ask the professionals.

I am Currently Blood Spec , But thinking About going Frost Spec Closer to 80 - I'm 66 now almost 67, planning on being 80 by next weekend.

zuke8675309
11-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Whoever you talked to doesn't know what they are talking about. I (as do others) run a DK that maintanks everything up to and including toc25.

There is plenty of advice for DK tanking in the DK forum at elitistjerks.com, the DK blog pwnwear.com and of course, right here at tankspot. You just need to read up some more is all.

Sukafree
11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I concur with Zuke. DK's have been a main tank on every encounter that is currently live. I run and MT a normal ToC10 on my blood DK tank. My Druid tank is an off tank to another Blood DK for our ToC25 runs, with a pally as our 2 OT. And here in about 2 weeks Ill move my DK to the 25 group and my druid to the ToGC group with the other DK.

DK tanking is very viable, its just not recommended for add tanking on ToGC Anub.

As for spec, Frost is the most forgiving of gear and the "all around" spec. Blood is more gear dependant. Blood has great single target threat and is great for progression runs. Frost has great snap agro and is good for single target or AoE pulls. I cannot really comment on Unholy tanking as I run an unholy dps spec but never tanked in the spec before.

Raiven
11-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks alot guys that really put my thoughts to rest - I'm now looking forward to 80 So I can get geared and start Clearing the Raids : )

Ltseb
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
i would respec to frost tanking for now, till you hit lvl 80 and get better gear, atleast naxx 25/emblem gear. im the main tank in my guild and i tank every think, were doing ToGC 10 man atm, im a blood tank and i can tank it just fine. Unholy spec is mainly ment as an AoE off tank spec, and just like blood its very gear dependant.

motoucle
11-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Im tanking in totgc 25 in normal gear so no heroic gear (therefore i dont outgear it or anything like that) and i dont find myself dying more often than the others.

Only boss i havent tanked is anub 25HM...

tribute
11-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Until Togc25 you don't have to worry, you will fit every encounter.

And even there the anub adds should be the only thing that is nearly impossible to tank as a DK (and that is just cause of design fail by blizz...)

Only boss i havent tanked is anub 25HM...

You tanked adds?
Must have been a hard time for you :P

sillypuddy
11-26-2009, 11:21 PM
why is add tanking anub 25 hm so hard?

Viljar
11-27-2009, 01:12 AM
the adds on anub 25man hardmode give you a high% physical damage taken debuff. They also gain 100% haste for any add in range of themselves (4spawn on heroic) the key to them is the %debuff pushes it to 8-12k hits but the% is applied AFTER block value and in decent block gear you can block almoast all of the damage. And Druids and deathknights simply can not block.

motoucle
11-27-2009, 01:48 AM
You tanked adds?
Must have been a hard time for you :P

Nope :)

I tried a couple of times in 10m and still thought i get hit too hard compared to shield user. Could be doable even in 25 but not with the gear i have (i reckon with 258 gear/frost spec/and many +armor items should be doable)

There i just have fun with UH AOE spec

Espillion
11-27-2009, 03:03 AM
DK tanks are viable. The gear and work for attaining said status would be up there because you're basically a druid tank with parry and plate.

The reason people say there isn't many is because of the perception that DK tanking got nerfed. While maybe true, it hasn't dropped by a significant amount.

I mean, if a DK tank is more sought after than say a warrior tank, what does that tell you about the game as it is?

So yeh, DK tanks are out there. Just need effort in it.