PDA

View Full Version : General advice =D

Eggz
11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Hey there, i'm new to these forums and i thought i'd begin with a hearty hello.
Hello!

Now then. I'm a Prot Paladin. Just beginning to become moderately geared (To my standards), and am wondering what kind of advanced instancing i can pull off.

Not just that but i'm wondering on other things aswell..

Here's my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Caelestrasz&cn=Eggz&gn=Inevitable)

My talents i think aren't too bad, but i guess with convincing experienced tank advice here they are prone to change.

Comments on my gear (main question pondering myself is can i tnak ToC10?) and stats

Just everything xD if you find soemthing wrong just bring it up. I won't cry or anything just be honest and correct me on anything.

I tank heroics easily, aswell as Naxx10.

Thanks (sorry it's late and i'm a tad drunk if this didn't read well) !

=]

Synapse
11-24-2009, 03:11 AM
There's much small detailing to fix your gear, but it seems generally alright.
Gemming: Nightmare tears are entirely weak for us. We don't really use that many stats, and a agi/stam gem would provide more of the ones we use.
Red gems, if you really want the socket bonuses, are best done with said agi/stam gems. It's avoidance, a tiny bit of armor and our necessary stam all there.
Also, your meta. Block value is pretty and all, but you'll likely see much more mileage from armor(this is especially true on ToC, where most tank damage can't be blocked)

Much of your gear is unenchanted... Gloves can take stam, armor, parry, or(my favorite) you can drop herbalism for engineering and get +885 armor o.o.
Hodir rep gives you a very nice tanking shoulder enchant(Pinnacle inscriptions)

I'll not believe in your current libram as you do seem to have a ret spec. Sacred shield and Defiance are recommended.

On spec: You're missing a few key details, some of them very important
1) Our optimal threat rotation is commonly called the 969. It's consisted of using a 9s cooldown(Judgment,Consecration,Holy Shield) followed by a 6s cooldown(Shield of Righteousness, Hammer of the Righteous). This demands at least 1 point in Improved Judgments.
2) Stoicism/Hammer of Justice/Divine Favor/Touched by the light: You picked all of the optionals and missed the mandatory talent! Many of our spells scale with spell power. While not as good as AP/STR, that single talent is our second best threat talent(and it adds mitigation in the form of sacred shields).
3) Spiritual Attunement is generally an overkill talent. With 1/2 points in it you can have perfect mana intake for anything harder than naxx(and just about any AoE anyway)
Glyphs: Glyph of ShoR is unnecessary, our mana intake is enough to supply a non-discounted rotation even with half SA.
A good minor glyph for you to take is Sense Undead(1% more damage to undead while Sense Undead is active)

Other than that, you are fine. If you want a good reference on gemming(planning to get all socket bonuses) and speccing, my character has two prot specs.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Scarlet+Crusade&cn=Sinapse)

Eggz
11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Thank you very much for the swift, kind reply - and minding my illiterate post above.

After reading, i thought i will quickly give my spec a change before Tafe. I checked yours out, and have a few questions.

Why the 1% extra crit chance? Sure, critting with spells and abilities causes extra threat but it feels to me that a measly 1% extra is near pointless?
The same with Crusade? Or is that extra damage creating extra threat?

At this time, my spec seemed to be fine with threat holding - of course i'm changing it because of your mentioned facts, but i'm not sure about the Crusade ability, and the Conviction point seems like a waste.
(I'm not trying to outsmart you or debate, i'm just asking to enhance my knowledge :o)

Synapse
11-25-2009, 01:32 AM
I had to put a point somewhere to make space for crusade. Crusade itself is pretty huge.

It's not a waste...1% crit is better than no crit... Just that. Some people don't like PoJ, for example, and as such their crusade spec has 3 points in conviction iinstead of just one. It's an useful filler.

Eggz
11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I see.
Well, i've done up my build based off of yours, and i gave it a go yesterday/today.
Not having 2 points into Attunement makes me run low on mana with my style on tanking, but then again i always forget to use Divine Plea.. Doh.

I put that point, instead of into 1% crit, into Seal of Command.. NO not for tanking, but i thought it'd be fun to use in PvP >=] (ret gets a tad repetitive in PvP =\)

Thanks for the help man =D

Synapse
11-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Divine Plea uptime is very important. It's 3% less damage taken and it alone can sustain hammer+shield+holy shield.

Learn when to use it and when not to use it. Generally you don't worry with divine plea unless you have gaps of downtime long enough for it to drop, and they come more often than the cooldown(VH is a good example). On these cases, generally just stopping to consecrate kill the mana issue.

Eggz
12-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I very much apologize to you, Synapse. Being through extended education and working has made me completely forget about this post. My bad, mate.

Just an update on this, check out my armory now. Eggz of Caelastrasz. My GearScore is just above 4750 and i have tanked such instances as:
Onyxia 10man
Trial of the Crusader 10man
Onyxia 25man
VoA 10man

and most importantly, tanked ICC 10man with my guild, and completed it. :]

My spec is an alteration of yours if i remember, but i put 2 points into Spiritual Attunement rather than 1, because in Heroics i hate, i mean HATE going oom. This caused only 2 points being able to be placed into Crusade. Love the build, and i wanna thank you for your kind help which i have re-read before posting this.