PDA

View Full Version : HALP! with Paladin Tanking for Ulduar 10 and on...

Aleon
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I've read so many post the last few days that my head is still spinning. I'm a prot Pally mostly main tanking for my guild. I need some advice on what I need to change to be at the top of my game for Ulduar 10 and beyond. Our guild recently had a big split and we have all been working hard to get back in to Ulduar. From what I have read I will have to respec slightly, modify my glyphs, enchants, and my gems will likely need to be reviewed. What I'm looking for is a little more direction specifically for where I am at.

Here is my Armory link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Garrosh&n=Aleon

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Mert
11-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Okay, bear in mind that tanking is as much about finding your own way as anything else and there's no strict "best" way to tank endgame content. As a result, everything you read here is someone's opinion and if you find yourself disagreeing that's probably a good sign that you're thinking like a tank. But, caveats aside, my opinions:

Spec
You can lose the five points in Divinity (the extra healing is nice but is often lost to overheal - I'd take this only if you're getting squished all the time which, with your gear, you shouldn't be.

Stoicism is a largely PvP talent so I'd drop that as well. Those three points would be far better spent on Improved Righteous Fury. It's a flat 6% reduction in incoming damage that's always up. It's basically essential.

I wouldn't take the full five points in Reckoning. You're aiming to get Prot down to 53 points ideally, which would mean picking some combination of 3 points from {Reckoning, Divine Sacrifice, Divine Guardian, Improved Hammer of Justice}.

Aside from (possibly) Vezax, you only need 1/2 Spiritual Attunement to stay sufficiently topped up, assuming you're running BoSanc and DP is always up.

Judgements of the Just is another one that's practically essential. By reducing the attack speed of the boss (yep, works on bosses) it greatly reduces your incoming damage and is one of your best mitigation talents.

Going into the Ret tree, you're aiming to get to 3/3 Crusade. Along the way you'll have one "filler" point (I put 1/5 Benediction as 2/2 Improved Judgements makes no difference to your rotation over 1/2) and you'll then have five points in the third tier. I personally go for {2/2 Vindication, 1/5 Conviction, 2/2 Persuit of Justice} but Vindication is the only essential one so pick a combination that suits your playstyle.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdtsMobc) is an illustration of the kind of build I mean.

Glyphs
Hmm. They seem to be focussed on mana which leads me to believe you've had mana issues in Heroics or when soloing. With the amount of damage you take in a raid going oom is a very rare occurance (to the point that most tanks run with 1/2 SA as mentioned above).

Glyph of Divine Plea is another flat 3% reduction in incoming damage that stacks with ImpRF and BoSanc so really shouldn't be missed. Glyph of Seal of Vengeance is a free 10 Expertise Skill which is honestly pretty overpowered for a glyph and is your best for threat and can also be good mitigation (by reducing parryhaste). So take those two for sure.

For your final one, you'll probably want one of Glyph of Judgement (single-target threat), Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous (multi-target threat, no impact on single-target) or Glyph of Righteous Defense (if you're really worried about your taunts missing).

Gems/Enchants

Firstly you'll want to switch your Meta to the Austere Earthsiege (32 Stam and 2% Armor). Not only is this gem best for Effective Health by a long way, it also scales upward as your gear improves. The one you're using is really only good for a block set which you'll use on very rare and very specific occasions or when you're on adds/doing Heroics or something. You said you were mainly MTing so you'll want the MT meta.

Lose the +10 Stats enchant on your chest - most of this gem's value is wasted on you (you don't need the Spirit, the Int, etc). Go for either Super Health or 22 Defense - probably the latter.

As a general strategy for gemming, I avoid anything with a socket bonus of less than +9 Stam in favour of straight Stam gems. Where the socket bonus is more favourable, I use Agi/Stam in red sockets and Def/Stam in yellow sockets. Agi scales very well for a Paladin and gives a little armor and threat on top of its dodge component, which is nice.

Gear

Generally fine, but I'd try and replace the Keystone Great-Ring if you can. Mainly it's a Druid piece and, paired with Peacekeeper Blade, it can be hard to reach the defense minimum while using that many non-Defense pieces. It's not that it's a bad ring (it's not) but it comes from a time before Peacekeeper Blade was even available and so was easier to fit into a pre-Naxx gear set. In Ulduar-10 there are a few pieces which similarly have better stats but no Defense and you may find yourself struggling to maintain the minimum as you gear up. It's not like you have to go out and replace it immediately, but it's something to bear in mind.

Anyway, I think that's just about it. Good luck, hope this helped :)

Aleon
11-24-2009, 07:37 AM
I can't believe I posted in the news.... I don't remember even clicking on it. I suppose that's what I get for posting at 2am my time. All of this info is very helpful and sounds exactly what I was looking for. As for my current setup this is the result of planning my spec from level 1 and running anything I can to get gear. The ring was something of a mistake, I actually traded emblems down to get it. I was still wearing a weak blue and had not figured out the new emblem system. I'm a returning BC player and had to start from scratch because I had no access to my old account sadly. I plan to make some changes and let you know how well it turns out. Again thank you for the help and anyone else with info that might be out there is welcomed to chime in.

ohh and if the mods see this, a move to the correct place is probably needed sorry.

Mert
11-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I think it already got moved - the link in News is just the residual thing, any new responses should appear in the HALP! forum.

As for the rings, the one you traded emblems for is fine and is actually a good piece - the one I recommended swapping was the one from Heroic Drak'Tharon Keep. Don't get me wrong, it is a really nice piece for a new tank but it harkens back to a time where many of the epics you can now get from ToC-5 or from badges weren't available to a new raider and, as such, was a little easier to fit into a gear set whilst maintaining the defense minimum. Hang on to it (I rarely throw gear away, you never know what kind of weird and wacky theorycrafted sets you can come up with).

My general advice to new tanks is this: do the daily Heroic every day you can, without fail and save those Emblems of Triumph. Have something specific in mind that you'd like to get for them (the ring, funnily enough, is a popular starting point). Run as many other Heroics or get into PUG raids as often as you can and collect Emblems of Conquest. By the time you have enough EoT for the ring, you should also have a sizeable collection of EoC which can be used to buy some fantastic pieces.

Don't be afraid to occasionally trade down either. There's a cloak for Emblems of Valor, for example, that you won't replace until you're doing mid-raid bosses in Ulduar-25. Sometimes there are some good things to be acquired from trading down (the Impegnible Fortress ring is actually another good example :))

When patch 3.3 hits (sometime in December, by most folks' estimate) Emblems of Triumph will then become the "base badge" that drops from Heroics and Tier 7-9 raids with new Emblems of Frost becoming the ones for the top-end gear. By the time that happens, you'll likely be well enough geared to be making your first steps into Icecrown Citadel (the forthcoming Tier 10 raid instance).

Imagine if you started a new character in TBC around the time Black Temple or Sunwell launched - it'd take you forever to get geared well enough to get to even look at that stuff. Now you can go from being a fresh 80 to geared enough to start the most recent Tier of content within a month if you put in the time and effort to do so :)

Chasey
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Mert speaks the truth! you came to the correct place for the help too.
Few other things I'd like to throw at you;
Gemming~ General rules never gem Parry or str.
Yellow~ Def or def/stam
Blue~ Stam (duh...lol)
Red~ Dodge/stam or Agi/stam(agi offers close to as much dodge as dodge but offer threat and armor too)
Stack a bit more stam too, for your gear lvl the stam seems to be low. Thats JMO thou. Avoidance or stam is fine as long as you live through the content you are tanking. I think you find that 31k in ulduar w/the wrong healers can add to face time on the carpeting.
Fix the build asap! A few suggestions Mert made will greatly impove your threat and thus allow you to not drop conc everytime its up and that will allow you to save mana and that will allow you to glyph different to gain even more threat....see what Im saying?
Below I've added a link to some good info, please take a few to browes it...for tankadins its great stuff.

Maintankadin • View topic - 3.2 Gem and Enchant Guide (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=21&t=23475&rb_v=viewtopic)
Maintankadin • View topic - 3.2 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ. (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=21933&rb_v=viewtopic)
Best of luck

Aleon
11-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Well it was my son's birthday party today so I only had a few to get on and fix my spec so far. I have tried to get on the rest and try it out but my server has been down on and off for the past day or so (currently on a down phase). Everything said makes perfect sense seeing it all in one spot and I can't wait to adjust a few more things and give it a go. Thank you very much for the input.