PDA

View Full Version : how can i raise my balance druids dps

fataldragoon
11-22-2009, 07:42 AM
hey guys i have been having a problem with my druid for over a week now i have been trying to get my druids dps over 3k or atleast hit that mark. i have spoken to several ppl and they have told me to do this and do that but they havent helped solve the problem so i am hoping that someone can help me find out why lower geared players are hitting more dps than me i am in tier 8.5 and tier 9. i know the rotations and when yo use what but my dps stands at 2.6k sometimes lower can anyone help me solve my dps failure.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Fataldragoon)

Conreeaght
11-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Because I don't have an armory or a lot of details to deal with it purely on tankspot, I'm going to go with where I learned How2Boomkin.

Moonkin Beginner Guide, updated for 3.2 - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t59457-moonkin_beginner_guide_updated_3_2_a/)

Don't let the word "beginner" fool you. This has been my boomkin's bible, and now he's capable of 6k on Koralon 10 (while being lucky to have a levatating priest.)

(The section on rotations is extremely helpful)

Valquirie
11-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Fataldragoon's Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Fataldragoon)

:P

Conreeaght
11-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Already had a good shoutbox convo, but to go over what we discussed:

- Drop IS glyph for Moonfire (I don't believe in removing unique moonkin raid benefits just for dps reasons. Besides, if you're already using one glyph that extends the time, might as well make it tick harder.)

- If you aren't having mana issues (and you shouldn't at this stage in the game, 3 minute innervate and a potion if need be, though, higher crit might help) you can drop the 3pts in dreamstate for 3 in Improved Insect Swarm (with an option for Typhoon, which has usefulness outside of dps, especially unglyphed.)

- Do whatever you can to cap hit @ 10%. Start with SP gems in yellow sockets (to get some bonuses to offset it.) A missed spell is the worst thing that can happen to your dps. After that, make sure the first thing you do on a level 83 (??) boss is have IFF up. You prolly know how to use your other cooldowns like trinkets, starfall, and trees.

- Biggest gear upgrade would be the 245 idol. Budget upgrades would be a cloak from hToC5, but I assume you know your upgrade path.

- Work on soft-capping haste to at least 401 (585 if you don't run with a caster shammy.) Considering the GCD governs 3/4 of your bread and butter spells. And all your cooldowns are GCD based.

- I won't go into details on gear upgrades, but in general: hit(to 10%) > haste (to 401/585) > SP > Haste (a little over cap) > Crit > Haste (way over cap) >> Int >> Spirit. There are some nuances in the fact that you do want to maintain at least a certain amount of crit (around 30%) to return enough mana to cast through the entire encounter (especially if a healer punks your innervates). Since SP is something that you can never have enough of, you're on the right track gemming for it, just don't forgo the two important caps.

- One more thing I haven't mentioned but in case...Get the mod "Squawk and Awe." I find it extremely helpful for monitoring what you need to know.

squats
11-22-2009, 09:43 AM
sorry if i come across as harsh here.. but why dont you have improved insect swarm? your missing out on 3% starfire crit, and 3% extra wrath damage

Get rid of your glyph of starfall and get the glyph of moonfire

You arnt hit capped, (10%)

You are also still using blue quality gems.

other then this, just fallow the rotation.

Quinafoi
11-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Step one... download from EJ the Moonkin dps spreadsheet, WrathCalcs
WrathCalcs - Moonkin DPS Spreadsheet - Page 4 - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t37800-wrathcalcs_moonkin_dps_spreadsheet/p4/)
The one you want is the latest version named "WrathCalcs Hamlet 090519".

You are currently under hit cap. Hit cap minimum for an alliance balance druid is 237 (9% spell hit). This is assuming 2 points in Balance of Power and 3 points in Improved Faerie Fire as well as the 1% Draenei racial.

Enchants
Your chest enchant could be upgraded to +10 stats from +8 stats.
Your cloak is unchanted, get 23 haste on it.
Your weapon enchant could be upgrade from 50 spellpower to 63 spellpower.
Shoulder enchant could be upgrade through farming more Hodir rep.

Gems

Meta - Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, never use anything else as caster DPS.
Red - Runed Cardinal Ruby
Yellow - Potent Ametrine, you are getting close to the Haste soft cap. Vieled Ametrine if you are sub hit cap which currently you are.
Blue - Nightmare Tear (can only use one) or Purified Dreadstone.

Simple advice on Nightmare Tear, every piece of set gear balance gets has a blue socket in the pants, so just use it there and when you upgrade the piece to the next tier you can use another Nightmare Tear.

Min maxing says you should go for raw spellpower all the time, I personally go for all set bonuses anyway as Balance.

Glyphs
Drop glyph of Starfall and pick up Moonfire. When you download WrathCalcs DPS spreadsheet you'll understand why. The highest DPS combination of glyphs for balance is Moonfire, Starfire, Insect Swarm. Starfall is a little behind Insect Swarm at 4th best. Even without two piece T9 bonus, Moonfire is one of the highest damage per cast abilities you have if it is glyphed and runs its full duration.

Talents
Drop Dreamstate. If you get the WrathCalcs spreadsheet it will tell you that point for point Intensity is more mana per 5 than Dreamstate. If you have mana issues, put two points in Intensity instead of three points in Dreamstate. Also remove your Gale Winds talent. Specing for AoE is a trash farming spec. You're worried about your single target DPS, not your DPS against trash. You want to improve your single target DPS, pick up Improved Insect Swarm instead.

If your mana efficiency is good, you should later drop the Intensity points and put them into Improved Moonfire (especially when you get the two piece T9 bonus).
Here is a spec I would recommend for you until your mana efficieny improves.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=11&tal=5032003125331303213305301031000000000000000000 000000000000205003212000000000000000000)

Rotation
1. If you are supplying the hit debuff (no Shadow Priest) or the armor debuff of Faerie Fire (no Feral Druid), cast Faerie Fire first. Renew as needed.
2. Force of Nature and Starfall are basically use on cooldown, except during Eclipse. You will always use these at the start of a fight and use them again between Eclipse procs.
3. Never clip DoTs. Only renew them after they have run their full duration and never during Eclipse. Renew Insect Swarm before Moonfire reason being is if you are either trying to proc Starfire Eclipse or Wrath Eclipse you will hopefully be casting Starfire before the Moonfire DoT expires and extending the duration.
4. Starfire Eclipse is better than Wrath Eclipse because of GCD cliping on Wrath. Heroism you'll see a lot of "Spell not ready yet" errors. Cast Wrath until Starfire Eclipse procs. Cast Starfire until eclipse is over. If immediately starts a Wrath eclipse begin casting Wrath. Don't renew your DoTs during an eclipse unless it is the last second and you can't finish another cast with the buff. Only renew your DoTs between Eclipse otherwise.

ECLIPSE is the CORE to your DPS. It is helpful to have addons monitoring the proc of eclipse and the 30 second internal cooldown. If for example you had a stroke of bad luck and weren't able to Proc a Wrath Eclipse after your Starfire Eclipse for 15 seconds, you would want to switch back to trying to proc Starfire Eclipse since that is better. I personally have special buff bars set up for tracking my combat buffs and Eclipse happens to be four times the size of all the others, because that is most important, it determines what I should cast over anything else. I also use Sexy Cooldowns for monitoring the internal cooldown of Eclipse but there are a lot of other options like ClassTimer_Eclipse, Quartz_Eclipse...

Numbers to Remember
Your hit cap is 17%. You can gain 7% through talents with Balance of Power and Improved Faerie Fire. You can also gain 1% from a Draenei in your group. This means you need at least 237 hit rating (9%) to be capped. Without a Draenei it is 263 hit rating (10%).

Your haste soft cap is 401 haste rating. Actually it's like 400.3 or something like that. Going from 398 to 399 haste might be worth something like 1.2 dps. Going from 401 to 402 will be worth less than half of that. Reason is because a lot of your casts will no longer benefit from it. At 401 haste rating, you start getting "Spell not ready yet" errors just casting Wrath because of your Nature's Grace procs. You are already GCD cliping at this point and the value of haste beyond 401 is significantly less.

Tips on Gearing
Get rid of that idol. Any of these are way better than the Insect Swarm idol.
1. Idol of Lunar Fury (Emblems of Triumpth)
2. Idol of the Shooting Star (Naxxramas 25)
3. Idol of Steadfast Renewal (Emblems of Heroism)

Avoid MP5 like the plague. If you can get an item that has spirit instead, you at least get around a 1 spellpower for every 3 spirit conversion. Once your mana pool gets sufficiently high (say over 25000 buffed) and your crit rate is reasonable, you can start droping mana efficiency talents. Reason is because your Moonkin form replenishment scales at a remarkable rate. The last time I checked I was getting around 1200+MP5 out of the Moonkin Form talent. Which trends towards replenishing more mana than you spend. Today I have 0 in combat mana regen, and I never run out of mana.

bodeen
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok well yall might consider this a noob question but i am going to ask it anyway. On my boomkin druid my gear is no as good as his but already i pull 3 k + dps. The question i wanted to ask and i have looked for an answer with out asking it and have not found it is at any point is it in any way benefical to gem for spell pen. Or is it just better to stick with spell power all the time (once hit capped and near haste cap)?

Quinafoi
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok well yall might consider this a noob question but i am going to ask it anyway. On my boomkin druid my gear is no as good as his but already i pull 3 k + dps. The question i wanted to ask and i have looked for an answer with out asking it and have not found it is at any point is it in any way benefical to gem for spell pen. Or is it just better to stick with spell power all the time (once hit capped and near haste cap)?

Spell penetration is worthless. Even in a PvP context it isn't worth gemming for this stat. In PvE it has no value at all. If you have additional questions I recommend creating a new topic instead next time. Also, be sure to include your own armory link if you want people to provide you constructive advice.

bodeen
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
k will do next time on the topic but thank you for answering my question. As far as critiesisum thats not what i was realy after in this case just the question on the spell pen gem but here is my armoy link if any one would like to provide some coments

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Grizzly+Hills&n=Krump)

bodeen
11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
please keep in mind i have maped out an upgrade path and i only hit 80 less then a week ago

Quinafoi
11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
@bodeen

Seems like a lot of what I mentioned for fataldragoon you've already applied or had to begin with (if that's the case you're on target). I do have one piece of advice however, pay attention to the actual number of points of each stat you get out of gems. For rare gems, you get 19 spellpower, or 9 spellpower and 8 rating (you'd lose 1 spellpower using hybrid gems). For epic gems however, you get 23 spellpower or 12 spellpower and 10 rating (you'd gain 1 spellpower using hybrid gems). So instead of using 3 Rigid King's Amber to get your hit rating, use 6 Veiled Ametrines instead and you get 6 more spellpower out of it.

Other than that things are looking relatively good for where you are at currently. I'd say to only go for 237 hit cap as alliance in general since usually a raid has enough draenei to cover all the groups, but its no guarentee and I don't know who you raid with.

bodeen
11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
well thank you very much for the insite I will keep it in mind. The reason for the mix of epic and none epis is gear i thought i would be upgrading very fast but i will definatly keep in mind the actule number of point and try to keep and eye on it. Generaly i do 10 man raiding and not a lot as of right now with this toon so i was aimming for the hit cap with out dranie just to be safe

fataldragoon
11-24-2009, 05:11 AM
thnx for the info guys i will be sure to try it out hopefully i can start raiding again ^^ i'll be sure to soft cap my haste and use gems to get hit and spell =p

fataldragoon
11-24-2009, 05:36 AM
i have to thank you guys alot my dps went up by 400 and hitting 3.2k now almost 3.3 i dunno how much i can thank you all am still under soft capped for haste but am getting a guildies of mine to do my cape again thank you all ^^