PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Libram vs Dodge Gems

Russ5813
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello all. I've recently made a few upgrades to my tanking gear and am interested in purchasing the Libram of Defiance with some remaining emblems. I currently hover around 28.35% dodge and after doing some reading on the forums, can guesstimate that LoD would grant an additional ~3% dodge.

With diminishing returns on dodge, should I consider replacing my dodge gems with, say, parry or str gems? Not too keen on gemming parry, but I'd rather not overload one particular tanking stat while neglecting others. Or is it safe to say that the pro's of stacking so much dodge would outweigh the DR?

Any advice/napkin math on the matter would be appreciated. Apologies for not linking my armory; can't get the link to work. US/Wildhammer/Horde/Viktoria

Tranzavagn
11-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't gem for parry, don't gem for dodge, don't gem for strenght.

Gem for agility! :)

Chasey
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't gem for parry, don't gem for dodge, don't gem for strenght.

Gem for agility! :)

^^ This :D
Maintankadin • View topic - 3.2 Gem and Enchant Guide (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=21&t=23475&rb_v=viewtopic)

Get the Hell out of Dodge (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/theorycraft/get-the-hell-out-of-dodge)

To put it simply, agility is a nice get to light up your meta, offers avoidance and mitigation, plus you get a bit of threat from the crit.
Tons of that info floating around, hope this help.
On another note, if I may, I looked at your toon, build and gems/enchants. A few things stand out big time, your hit is low so you have gemmed hit and glyphed for RD, yet instead of putting accuracy or the weapon chain on your weapon you went with 50ap? Can I ask why? As hard as you have worked it seems like a crazy place to skimp.
You are not maximizing threat w/SotP 5 point talent, you are missing a huge threat draw by not getting into crusade and mitigation by not taking vindication.
I don't know what content you are tanking or what you guy are going to progress in but another recomendation is to put the 30stam 15res shoulder enchant it will offer you a little more Stam. Since lots of the damage we take is unavoidable, Stam keeps our face off the carpet.

Russ5813
11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I can't believe I completely forgot about agi/stam gems :( Those are some good reads, by the way!

As far as the AP on my weapon goes...that was supposed to be a cheap upgrade till I got around to dishing out the cash for accuracy. Up till just recently I've never had issues holding threat but have begun to notice in some geared 25m toc /10togc groups I'm struggling a bit more than usual. Time for that upgrade, I suppose. And my spec is probably outdated; haven't kept up with the times like I should be. Guess I'm slackin :/

Tranzavagn
11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
And my spec is probably outdated; haven't kept up with the times like I should be. Guess I'm slackin :/

Just take mine, it's da cookiecutter :)

Synapse
11-23-2009, 03:27 AM
One thing people seem to be missing about Diminishing Returns is that more avoidance never results in less avoidance. If you're chock-full of dodge and get more dodge, you WILL get more avoidance.

What DR does, when comparing avoidance stats, is lowering each stat's relative value compared to the other. Unless you have much more dodge than parry, don't go out of your way with parry, and if you intention is to increase avoidance, dropping avoidance won't increase it.