PDA

View Full Version : Underperforming destruction lock needs help!

Kalshore
11-21-2009, 04:29 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonblight&n=Kalshore)

Latley I've gotten back into raiding after an on-and-off hiatus due to internet issues. But now they are sorted, I've taken a seriouse look at my DPS and I find that I am quite under-achiving. This may be mostly due to my rotation, but there probobly are other factors in it.

Since going destruction a few months back (I was formerly affliction) I've experimented with a few different rotations with very mixed results. The current rotation I've been using is COE --> Imolate --> Conflagerate --> Chaos Bolt --> Corruption --> Incinerate Filler till cooldowns are finished.

This rotation only seems to get me around 3.2-3.6K DPS on average. If I can realy stand and nuke something, then I can achive around 4K DPS, but this will drop and not recover if I have to switch targets at all.

I've experimented last night on heroic training dummies and for some reason leaving out corruption helps my DPS (contrery to what I experianced when I first went destruction) and switching CB and Conflag around also helps. However I don't know how long this will last and also if this is the only thing that is hindering my DPS.

I do have one question though that I think would help alot; Should I try and use conflagerate as soon as the c/d is finished, or should I refresh imolate first then use CB and Conflag after (by the time conflag finishes it's c/d, I'd be needing to refresh imolate afterwards anyway)?

I want to mention a couple of notes as well before I finish;

A: Yes, I'm aware that I am WAY over the hit-cap. However once I replace dieing curse, I don't know if I will still have enough hit-rating to warrent loosing supression. And if I do drop it, where should I put those 3 spare tallents?

B: Please do NOT recomend changing Glyph of Imolate for Glyph of Life Tap. I tried it on Anub'Arak last night and my DPS was considerably WORSE than before! I could barley break 3.2K with that glyph and my usual rotation.

Other than that, any advice on spec, gear and roation is greatly welcomed! With the mages of my guild pumping out 4-5K DPS on a regular basis, I think it's time I optimize what I've got to catch up!

Thanks in advance.

gabbu
11-21-2009, 08:15 AM
First and Foremost you are approaching it in the wrong way, there is no rotation for destro lock its more of a priority/buff management.

I will start with what you already know,

1. Way over hit cap drop suppression and pick up soul leech, realistically aim for 14% hit and than you get 3% from spriest or boomkin in raid.
2. Drop Glyph of immolate, and get glyph of life tap, there is no reason you should drop dps with it, use Rank 1 Life Tap before pull to start it and make sure the buff is up all the time.

Now more,

3. Always use imp and turn off phase shift and fire shield and make sure he gets all the raid buffs. Remember imp is a big part of your dps, everytime imp crits your next spell would be a crit and vice versa.
4. Use CoE if you are the only lock and no UH DK, or else use CoD.
5. For dps this is the way to approach it,
- Use LT rank 1 before pull
- Immo - CoE - COnflag
- CB than incinerate spam till CB/Conflag are off cd than use them again or you need to put up immolate
- NEVER CLIP IMMOLATE
- Keep LT glyph up all the time.
- Try to use Chaos Bolt as much with back draft as much as you can
- DONOT USE CORRUPTION, unelss there is a movement etc or phase changes etc (say inc fear, so you know you cant do a 2 sec cast so put a corruption up)

So the idea is to keep LT glyph up 100%, always keep Conflag and CB on cd, dont clip Immolate and try to use CB with backdraft or empowered imp.

Practice this a bit and you should see a good jump in dps.

It all comes by practice.

Kalshore
11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
First and Foremost you are approaching it int he wrong way, there is no rotation for destro lock its more of a priority/buff management.

I will start with what you already know,

1. Way over hit cap drop suppression and pick up soul leech, realistically aim for 14% hit and than you get 3% from spriest or boomkin in raid.
2. Drop Glyph of immolate, and get glyph of life tap, there is no reason you should drop dps with it, use Rank 1 Life Tap before pull to start it and make sure the buff is up all the time.

Now more,

3. Always use imp and turn off phase shift and fire shield and make sure he gets all the raid buffs. Remember imp is a big part of your dps, everytime imp crits your next spell would be a crit and vice versa.
4. Use CoE if you are the only lock and no UH DK, or else use CoD.
5. For dps this is the way to approach it,
- Use LT rank 1 before pull
- Immo - CoE - COnflag
- CB than incinerate spam till CB/Conflag are off cd than use them again or you need to put up immolate
- NEVER CLIP IMMOLATE
- Keep LT glyph up all the time.
- Try to use Chaos Bolt as much with back draft as much as you can
- DONOT USE CORRUPTION, unelss there is a movement etc or phase changes etc (say inc fear, so you know you cant do a 2 sec cast so put a corruption up)

So the idea is to keep LT glyph up 100%, always keep Conflag and CB on cd, dont clip Immolate and try to use CB with backdraft or empowered imp.

Practice this a bit and you should see a good jump in dps.

It all comes by practice.

OK, I will try this. However I will get a spare glyph of imolate just in case! I will practice on heroic training dummies to see how I go. Seems the ideal rotation is considerably more complicated than I first imagined @_@'.

krilz
11-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Gabbu answered all the vital points but I might throw this one as well. Check out the Destruction-thread on EJ (I wrote the OP) as most stuff are covered there around rotations etc.
The Mage Equivalent: The Destruction Warlock - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38033-mage_equivalent_destruction_warlock/)

gabbu
11-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Gabbu answered all the vital points but I might throw this one as well. Check out the Destruction-thread on EJ (I wrote the OP) as most stuff are covered there around rotations etc.
The Mage Equivalent: The Destruction Warlock - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38033-mage_equivalent_destruction_warlock/)
OMG that thread is AWESOME, READZ ITZ :)

Kalshore
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
OMG that thread is AWESOME, READZ ITZ :)

I have read this, however it is not very clear about geming. Does it mean I should only ever gem for SP + Spirit to get the meta gem bonus? Do I only ever gem for SP purley unless the yellow gem bonus is "Worth it"? What qualifies as being "Worth it"?

krilz
11-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I have read this, however it is not very clear about geming. Does it mean I should only ever gem for SP + Spirit to get the meta gem bonus? Do I only ever gem for SP purley unless the yellow gem bonus is "Worth it"? What qualifies as being "Worth it"?
I haven't updated the post in ages so apologies for that, but yes, Purified Dreadstones in general should only be gemmed to get the meta bonus. Now I can go on for ages about how you should gem but if we stay with the fact that you only need 2: First check where you got blue sockets. Next, check what the socket bonuses are. Hit is always best if under hit cap, if you're not, then spell power. The higher spell power bonus, the better so aim there. There are some cases when gemming Dreadstones are worth it if you still qualify for the meta, I think that requires at least a bonus of +7 spell power per blue socket in that item but I'm not 100% sure on the top of my head.

As for yellow sockets, it's not that that strict. Most yellow sockets have spell power bonuses and if they are +5 spell power or higher, go nuts with Reckless Ametrines. In general, foregoing the socket bonus if it's crit is often considered standard. Now, the best thing YOU can do is try to find out your stat values and calculate the amount of DPS per gems and socket bonus and get the correct value, but if you're not into that, there are some posts on EJ about how to gem. Or you could download an addon called RhadaTip that does that for you in-game or check out my armory for some tips: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Laughing+Skull&n=Sk%C3%A5plund)