PDA

View Full Version : Returning after a long hiatus, could use a tune-up on spec, gems, enchants for 10mans

Serial
11-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone. I've been a long time lurker on TS, and I'm constantly trying to keep up to date on warrior tanking information. But the past few months I've taken a hiatus from tanking (I'll get into the reasons why momentarily) and have been primarily dpsing on my hunter and rogue.

First I'd like to give a little back story on my warrior. I created a NE warrior around launch and without knowing a lot about WoW, or MMOs in general, I somehow found myself speccing into prot from level 10 onwards. This trend continued up until level 80, and he has never been anything other than prot. I'm the first to admit I know next to nothing about warrior dps, which is odd because I can theorycraft and number crunch most other classes.

Well, when my tank hit 60 I began to raid MC and Ony. At the time I was on a pvp server. Well, some RL conflicts came up and I re-rolled on a PvE server as a rogue. With the rogue I was fortunate enough to get into a progression guild and moved swiftly through MC, BWL, AQ40, and finally Naxx 1.0.

When BC rolled around, I ended up relocating my tank to my PvE server, and managed to raid Kara, with him, and SSC/TK with my rogue.

Then when LK came out, I decided I really wanted to get back into tanking full time, and I was able to do so. I quickly moved into 25 naxx and ended up getting quite a bit of gear from there. My guild then moved into Uld25, then promptly fell apart after 1 week in uld. Again I found myself in a situation where my tank was to be shelved again. I've spent the past few months leveling my rogue (Running Naxx on him), and on my hunter raiding twice a week focusing on 10man content (Uld to Mimi, ToTC10 normal clear).

But again I found myself itching to tank again, so I faction transferred and server bounced to my current realm, where I've been pugging as much as possible. I've just recently joined a guild that plans on focusing on 10 man content, starting with Naxx, and then moving on depending on the gear levels of the rest of the raid.

So what I have availible to me right now, is plenty of conquest badges, as well as sporadic triumph until the guild gets moving (2-3 weeks hopefully).

So my question to you, TS forum goers, is what can I change to better my tanking with regards to enchants, gems, and spec.

My armory can be found here: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Durotan&n=Kungai)

Now as far as I can tell, gear upgrades are going to be limited to conquest badges, and possibly 1-2 triumph slots that I'll get from pugging until my guild is at par with me. As far as I can tell, I'm fully geared to drop back to Naxx10, and I shouldn't have a problem with Uld10.

As for my gems, I realize I should be gemming with epic gems, but as I mentioned I just started playing this toon again, and epic gems weren't around when I had stopped. I'm focusing on putting epics in any upgrade I get, but with iLevel 200 gear, I'd rather not put in epic gems unless you guys/gals feel it's worth it

Enchant wise, I think I'm doing well, but again, I'm open for criticism.

And finally, Spec. Now traditionally I've always been a fan of Deep Prot builds (as you can see by my 5/5/61 build I'm working with), but I've been finding that my threat isn't quite cutting it vs. ToTC10/25 geared dpsers. So I know that things need to change. Would the impale/deep wounds cookie cutter be best, or should I focus on something else? Keep in mind I've just enchanted my weap with blood draining, and I know that bleed effects can get the buff stacking quickly.

Oh ya, Glyphs, they're all kinds of fail. I'm never rage starved due to the revenge/HS glyph combo, but I'm thinking that I can drop them for 2 others and still not have to worry about rage.

As a quick final note, I do have a number of block pieces saved from Naxx25 but right now I've been focusing on EH with the block set as a backup if needed.

So I think that's everything, I've tried to be as detailed as possible. Please fire away and be as honest/brutal as you need to be. If you have further questions, ask away, I check TS several times a day so if you need more information I certainly can provide it.

Thanks in advance,
-Kungai aka Aias aka Icelus aka Tybalt

Lucinam
11-21-2009, 05:06 AM
You're on the right track for what you're going for. Only thing I could see that you could use immediately would be replacing your Valor Medal of the First War with The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216)

Aside from that you do need to change your spec up. This is a good overall tanking build imo Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo:dcTzoM)

Hope this helps, gl getting back in the tanking game!

Serial
11-21-2009, 05:22 AM
You're on the right track for what you're going for. Only thing I could see that you could use immediately would be replacing your Valor Medal of the First War with The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216)

Aside from that you do need to change your spec up. This is a good overall tanking build imo Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo:dcTzoM)

Hope this helps, gl getting back in the tanking game!

Oh.. if only it were that simple to get the black heart :(, I have yet to see it drop on any toon. I'm beginning to think that it's going to be another King's D for me, I ran Kara every week for months, never had it drop.

As for the spec, that was the one I figured would be recommended. I do appreciate you not including cruelty. I used to have epic fights with another warrior tank I knew over it. The only reason I have it now is because I wasn't putting too much thought into my spec at the time. I've never been sold on it as a reliable tool for threat generation.

Lucinam
11-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh.. if only it were that simple to get the black heart :(, I have yet to see it drop on any toon. I'm beginning to think that it's going to be another King's D for me, I ran Kara every week for months, never had it drop.It drops from reg ToC so it's possible to just run it over and over until you get it. There are always people looking for a reg ToC farm group on my server, not sure if it's the same for yours or not though.