PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Squishy

MageSlayer
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey all, been a long time TankSpot reader and finally decided to start posting.

I've been a prot pally for quite a while and I lean towards old school stats such as the classic 102.4% avoidance and whatnot, even though I know it's not really needed anymore. I'm having issues with the, seemingly, big focus on stamina stacking once you hit def cap. I, personally, feel so very squishy even when I'm sporting 48k hp raid buffed.

Armory - The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonrunner&n=Eldwynn)

Is there any advice for how I can improve gear/spec whatever? I recently changed spec to what is showing in the Armory there but as a prot pally I'm not seeing much of a use for Divine Sacrifice, though the buff from Divine Guardian is nice.

I have the Black Heart trinket in there because I feel the armor proc gives me more then just adding the other Brewfest trinket till I get scarabs from ToC25. I also have avoidance focused trinkets, though with the focus seemingly on stamina stacking, I'm not sure if I should be using them:
[Fervor of the Frostborn (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47727)]
[Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman] - Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49487)

Our guild is currently on Anub in 25 ToC and are starting to move on ToGC10. Any help on where I may improve some things gear/spec/whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Quinafoi
11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
If you feel squishy as a paladin tank you should try using gear which has higher block rating and block value if you have any. A lot of paladin tanks have two sets, one set which is specifically dedicated to high block. Increasing your block by a decent chunk should help you to feel less squishy even if you have to switch a few pieces of gear to ones that have a little less stamina to get it. We have a pally main tank for ToGC10 and the main difference I can see between you and him is he has significantly higher block, 6% more. You might want to experiment on fights by increasing your block.

Synapse
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Block is useless on boss tanking. Especially on t9 content, there's nothing to do. You ARE squishy. Just make sure you use the best gear and, specifically for gormok/anub, go out of your way towards stam stacking(just don't do anything stupid). Block is useful to tank anub adds, whelps and little else in t9 raid boss fights.

MageSlayer
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
As I don't really like being squishy, I guess it's just the way it is. Thanks very much for the input.

Chasey
11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I looked over the gear and all I can say is nothing looks out of whack, the build is nice and the enchants/gem choices are nice. I mean even with your lance equiped avoidance and stam looks good.
If Anub 25 is what makes you feel squishy don't fret, he hits hard, lots of it is not avoidable. Most of ToC and Ulduar are a squishy feel, the damage is huge and spiky!

To just ring in on the block statements, its really not a viable stat, you can not block impale, the shadow damage that the twins throw out, fire damage on Jax or most other damage in ToC. In fact about 45% is not something a tank can avoid. I'd say leave the block in the place that blizz put it, on the back burner in T7. 102.4 is not really something to look at reaching, stam is ALWAYS there.

MageSlayer
11-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I looked over the gear and all I can say is nothing looks out of whack, the build is nice and the enchants/gem choices are nice. I mean even with your lance equiped avoidance and stam looks good.
If Anub 25 is what makes you feel squishy don't fret, he hits hard, lots of it is not avoidable. Most of ToC and Ulduar are a squishy feel, the damage is huge and spiky!

To just ring in on the block statements, its really not a viable stat, you can not block impale, the shadow damage that the twins throw out, fire damage on Jax or most other damage in ToC. In fact about 45% is not something a tank can avoid. I'd say leave the block in the place that blizz put it, on the back burner in T7. 102.4 is not really something to look at reaching, stam is ALWAYS there.

Thanks for this info too. Spell dmg is always the pallies bane as we don't really have any thing to directly effect that so the stamina stacking for that makes sense... I just don't like the thought of being 3 shot as a tank based on lucky crits. I miss the 'old days' of getting a constant stream of damage as opposed to miss-miss-miss-HUGE DAMAGE-miss-HUGE DAMAGE-miss.