PDA

View Full Version : Add Tanking....

CatabriOnEarthen
11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Ok, everyone knows that paladins make the best add tanks...at least that's what I keep getting told.

I, however, am not so great at it. Part of it is movement, camera spinning gives me vertigo. Part of it is my computer is old and clunky. I can't do anything about getting ill trying to chase adds, I can't replace the computer unless I win the lottery....so, are there any tips for either not having to spin myself dizzy (Jaraxxus comes to mind)?

I hate tanking H:VH for the same reason...constant looking for portals makes me feel icky.

Tazlex
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Only thing I can suggest for Lord Jaraxxus is zooming out further. Yes it makes you look smaller and might make some details harder to see, but I find it useful.

It mostly sounds like the Infernals I'm guessing is what you are chasing? If its the Mistress then do not chase her. The Mistress will always return to you after she does her 360 pain strike crap. The infernals are a mess to deal with. Just try to pick them up as best as you can when they come outta the Volcano. Hand of Reckoning, Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Conscerate. Best tool we have though for the Infernals is Holy Wrath. This will stun any undead/demon that is within 10 yards or so of you. Which makes it great for keeping them in place briefly. This gives your dps enough time to get at least one down. You can also Hammer of Justice, but sadly you will have to chase the Infernals some. Good news? Infernals don't tend to stay alive very long.

Insahnity
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Ok, everyone knows that paladins make the best add tanks...at least that's what I keep getting told.

I, however, am not so great at it. Part of it is movement, camera spinning gives me vertigo. Part of it is my computer is old and clunky. I can't do anything about getting ill trying to chase adds, I can't replace the computer unless I win the lottery....so, are there any tips for either not having to spin myself dizzy (Jaraxxus comes to mind)?

I hate tanking H:VH for the same reason...constant looking for portals makes me feel icky.

Paladin add tanking is only partly due to consecrate. The other part is Frisbee Toss. Having it hit 3 targets for a crapton of holy damage AND silence is pure win. Everybody else has single target abilities (Heroic Throw/Shoot/etc., Deathgrip, FaerieFire). Snap aggro isn't too bad in some cases, for example, Howling Blast/BB (if you can get in range), Charge + TC or Swipe, and so on, but it isn't so stupidly easy as an insta-cast frisbee to the face with silence for 3 targets.

My suggestions:
For VH
Most times the adds all move together as a pack. There is one exception, the second spawn point from the left, on the upper decks, where the 3 mobs will almost always split 2 in one direction, on in the other. In that case, head for one set, HotR whatever you get, and shield toss the other (or even taunt, but Frisbee silences casteres and makes them walk to you). DKs could toss out a DnD and Deathgrip. Warriors can charge and HT back, Bears can charge and FF the last one, and so on.

However, VH is all about you having your camera out at max distance, and moving as quickly as possible. If you don't see a portal, don't stand still, head to the center to cut down travel time eve nif you need to go right back to the same spot. Also, don't wait for the last mob to die, when it is at <5% health, start moving away in anticipation of next portal, it will follow you and your dps will finish the job.

As for Jaraxxus, same tactics as VH, get one, frisbee the others. If it's still tough, the chances of you not having a a hunter/rogue are slim. You can get a ghetto MD (Mage aggro, blink past you, iceblock, Nelf aggroes and Shadowmelds, priest/warlock aggroes and fades/soulshatters, etc.). But really, between going in one direction and frisbeeing something behind me, it's quite doable, it just takes practice in VH.

BlazeDale
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I think the main problem you are having is the camera correct? Let me ask if you have your camera set up so that when you move and are not holding any mouse buttons down does it automatically fall behind you?

If so you have the the camera set to "smart" follow. This can be very annoying for tanks that need to keep a particular vantage point on an area. My suggestion is that you set the camera follow to "never" and learn to play this way. When you move the camera angle will remain where you had it pointed in relation to your character instead of swiveling around.

The option for changing your camera following is in interface options. Not exactly sure which menu but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I play all my characters like this and I love it. I find it help to increase my awareness overall.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Only thing I can suggest for Lord Jaraxxus is zooming out further. Yes it makes you look smaller and might make some details harder to see, but I find it useful.

It mostly sounds like the Infernals I'm guessing is what you are chasing?

Infernals are the issue, you are quite correct. Now that I got the taunt glyph, things may be easier. I'll try tanking adds this week. Using a combination of everyone's responses.

Paladin add tanking is only partly due to consecrate. The other part is Frisbee Toss. ....
There is one exception, the second spawn point from the left, on the upper decks, where the 3 mobs will almost always split 2 in one direction, on in the other. ....
However, VH is all about you having your camera out at max distance, and moving as quickly as possible.

As for Jaraxxus, same tactics as VH, get one, frisbee the others. If it's still tough, the chances of you not having a a hunter/rogue are slim. You can get a ghetto MD (Mage aggro, blink past you, iceblock, Nelf aggroes and Shadowmelds, priest/warlock aggroes and fades/soulshatters, etc.). But really, between going in one direction and frisbeeing something behind me, it's quite doable, it just takes practice in VH.

I've been working on that split pull in VH. Getting better, but still have issues..I do have my camera zoomed all the way out, but when it follows me, it can go wonky. BTW, I love the new name for Avenger's Shield. Frisbee Toss is awesome!

I think the main problem you are having is the camera correct? Let me ask if you have your camera set up so that when you move and are not holding any mouse buttons down does it automatically fall behind you?

If so you have the the camera set to "smart" follow. This can be very annoying for tanks that need to keep a particular vantage point on an area. My suggestion is that you set the camera follow to "never" and learn to play this way. When you move the camera angle will remain where you had it pointed in relation to your character instead of swiveling around.

The option for changing your camera following is in interface options. Not exactly sure which menu but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I play all my characters like this and I love it. I find it help to increase my awareness overall.

I will be attempting this to see if the change helps. It's the sense of vertigo as the camera swivels that gets me everytime.

Thank you all, I appreciate it.

Mert
11-24-2009, 09:24 AM
There is one exception, the second spawn point from the left, on the upper decks, where the 3 mobs will almost always split 2 in one direction, on in the other. In that case, head for one set, HotR whatever you get, and shield toss the other (or even taunt, but Frisbee silences casteres and makes them walk to you).

I usually run up the spiderweb ramp thing, chuck down a Conc and then run back and Captain America the other group. As long as your DPS don't go nuts the moment they spawn, Conc is usually enough to keep them from running to the door until you get back again :)

MellvarTank
11-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Palli's make the best add tanks?

Kurtosis
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, strong aoe and multi-target abilities + shield block ftw.

MellvarTank
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah no. It's been covered, maybe in BC... but not anymore. A skilled warrior/dk/bear is just as good.

drae
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah no. It's been covered, maybe in BC... but not anymore. A skilled warrior/dk/bear is just as good.

Insahnity
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I prefer my bear druid for Ony whelps any day over my pally. Swipe spam=win for whelp pickup, if you are correctly positioned, and you can apply threat on the go.

But that's a special case....

As for camera angle, instead of a 45 degree angle, try a top down view. Less vertigo as the room doesn't swivel, and you can still see things when your back is up against a wall. Also check if your "Smart Pivot" setting Under Interface->Camera is checked, I would try it disabled.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I prefer my bear druid for Ony whelps any day over my pally. Swipe spam=win for whelp pickup, if you are correctly positioned, and you can apply threat on the go.

But that's a special case....

As for camera angle, instead of a 45 degree angle, try a top down view. Less vertigo as the room doesn't swivel, and you can still see things when your back is up against a wall. Also check if your "Smart Pivot" setting Under Interface->Camera is checked, I would try it disabled.

That is the best answer yet! Thanks!