PDA

View Full Version : Heal me.....

freakouthealer
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Help please somebody anybody,

I am new to this so if i am doing something wrong please tell me. This will most likely be long winded but i want to get as much advice as i can.

I am the only resto druid in the guild and relay the only raiding druid.

I am in a 10 man raiding guild. My healing gets the job done but its not quite enough. I feel as though i am not doing enough for my guild. And i get stressed out of my mind at times. i feel that i am not doing enough which in turn stresses the MT who is also the raid leader. who is always sitting beside me while raiding. which can be bad because we can wipe is he is stressing because i am stressed. I have only been playing for over a year and i started playing wow because my partners guild needed a reliable healer.

I am well geared i have my 4 set tear 9 and a non-set helm of equal rating. i have the moonshadow armguards(245), polished dragonslayer's signet (245 ring), band of the invoker(245 ring), boots of the pertified forest(219), belt of the winters solistice (232), blinding light (232), spark of hope (219) getting the talisman of resurgence, i also have the wail of the Val'kyr(245).

Now that you all know what gear i have, here are some stats for you 2383 is my bonus healing is at self buffed. mana regen is 738 non-combat and 414 in-combat. haste is at 449 that is down from my 700+ before i re-gemed to get more SP.

-Was that the right thing to do?
-what glyphs do i need?
-what gems are good?
-spellpower or intellect which one or is there a healthy mix?
-what is a good group make-up for me to be in for the guild to get the most out of it?

i think that all :) any help would be great.

freakouthealer
11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh yeah i have enlightenment the staff from cc..

Conreeaght
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Just link your armory. Or character name/server if not that websurfing inclined.

I'm afraid this one requires more information then just gear. Especially when we cannot see what glyphs, gems, etcetera you are using now. Some insight into rotations, priorities etc would help as well.

Best suggestion I can give without any of the details we'd need is get ahold of recount and/or stat logging program (like WWS, WMO etc) so that you can do a thourough examination of your healing and how it is affecting the raid.

Stymie
11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Well, first thing is first -- calm down! :) And a link to your armory would help.

Currently, I main tank and raid lead for a 25 man guild. However, I started off as a healer (a Holy Paladin). Though my main transitioned to my warrior over time, I was playing both toons at the same time for quite awhile depending on the needs of each raid night, so I have a good idea of the picture from both sides.

First and foremost, to really answer your questions, we would need a bit more information.

-What encounter is your tank dying on?
-What class is your tank and do you have a link to their armory?
-How many healers do you typically have in your 10 man raids?

Those bits of information would be a good starting point. Now, that said, a bit of personal advice: It will really help you and your tank partner if you both relax and look at wipes as an opportunity to learn rather than getting too stressed out. This is especially true for you -- newer healers often get a negative sense of responsibility every time someone dies or there is a wipe. Maybe it is your tank's gear, maybe DPS was too slow, maybe it was the healing -- who knows. But don't get in a habit of blaming yourself for every wipe, as there are likely numerous factors involved. Just look at the individual situation, figure out what went wrong, and how to best address it.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Help please somebody anybody,

I am new to this so if i am doing something wrong please tell me. This will most likely be long winded but i want to get as much advice as i can.

I am the only resto druid in the guild and relay the only raiding druid.

You may be the only resto druid and the only raiding druid, but you aren't the only healer. Make sure all of your healers are on the ball, and if needed bring in a third heal/dps hybrid. Dual spec means most classes have more utility than before without causing undue stress on any one persons gold balance. In fights where heals are tough, three heal it. In the easy fights, have your hybrid go dps.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, first thing is first -- calm down! :) And a link to your armory would help.

First and foremost, to really answer your questions, we would need a bit more information.

Those bits of information would be a good starting point. Now, that said, a bit of personal advice: It will really help you and your tank partner if you both relax and look at wipes as an opportunity to learn rather than getting too stressed out. This is especially true for you -- newer healers often get a negative sense of responsibility every time someone dies or there is a wipe.

Stymie has some great advice. Relax, have a homebrew. Ok, Charlie Papazian aside, wipes happen. As the raid leader (me) and having been a raid healer (poor Nalf now eats Imaples from Gormok now instead of healing them), healing can be very stressful. Being MT and RL is very stressful. Thankfully, my husband doesn't heal. We won't let him, because we like being alive at the end of an encounter.

We have a pretty hard 3 wipe rule. Three wipes on a boss, and we move on, unless we have been making great progress on an encounter. (For example, the Iron Council encounter....that's in the IC Movie thread). This wipe and move on rule is in effect even on content we've mastered. We are there to have fun, not to beat our heads against a brick wall. Most times, we can identify the problem if we have a first wipe, and fix it....but sometimes it's just a bad night.

If you have specific encounter details, we can help you much better with specific encounter tuned advice, rather than the broad platitudes we've been offering. Feel free to PM me if you like, I'm pretty easy-going. Unless you stand in fire. Then I get upset. :p

Quinafoi
11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
-Was that the right thing to do?
You need to understand your haste soft cap. Once you hit a certain threshold of haste, certain spells stop seeing any benefit from the stat due to global cooldown clipping. 700 haste was probably a bit too high for a restoration druid, even if you're mainly using Nourish spamming to heal. You shouldn't gem for haste as a restoration druid in the later tiers normally because you have a lot of it already on your gear.
-what glyphs do i need?
Unburdened Rebirth is the only required minor.
For majors, healing for raids you should always have Wild Growth. The others largely depend on your healing role. Are you a main tank healer or a raid healer?
-what gems are good?
Red, Runed (Spellpower)
Blue, Purified (Spirit/Spellpower)
Yellow, Nightmare Tear (10 Stats) or Luminous (Intellect/Spellpower)
-spellpower or intellect which one or is there a healthy mix?
Spellpower increases your HPS. Intellect increases your endurance and the crit rate slightly. For a restoration druid typically you will not be the one running out of mana and will be innervating other healers that do, especially in tier 9.
-what is a good group make-up for me to be in for the guild to get the most out of it?
A restoration druid can either raid heal or tank heal with reasonable effectiveness. It largely depends on the type of role you will do. Typically though you would assign the other healing classes to tank healing and have the druid backup healing and raid healing because they can keep rolling HoTs on a lot of different targets.

i think that all :) any help would be great.

What are the other healers?
What are you normally doing in the raid, tank healing or raid healing?
Link your armory instead of posting all your gear, it is hard to advise you when we can't see you.

freakouthealer
11-21-2009, 07:45 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Saurfang&n=Angelaa)

I dont know if that worked. and i hope this is linked to my first lot of questions.

the other 2 healers are a priest and a shammy 99% of the time :)

thank you all for for your help so far :)

As a guild we don't wipe a lot we do well when all hell breaks loose but i still feel that i am not doing something right. i do struggle with mana at times which is an issue for me but i did re-gem because of the haste so i dont know as of yet how big of a change that made seeing as i did it not that week but the week b4 after we finished our raiding.

MT is a pally, OT was a worrier, but we do chop and change with him. it may now be 2 pally tanks just waiting to see what happens with the group make up or it could go a druid tank (an alt may need to be changed to a main toon)

but this is my partner he is the main tank.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Saurfang&n=Angelaa)

Quinafoi
11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Your gearing and gemming looks fine. Spec looks fine for a raid healing druid. Glyphs I would recommend Wild Growth over Rebirth. Glyph of Rebirth I would only recommend using on fights where the target may be instantly killed, in particular Twin Val'kyr. At the same time though, people shouldn't die in the first place. Glyph normally to prevent death, not to resolve it.

Your link to your tank was just another link to yourself. Though looking for a paladin in similar gear level would seem to indicate the guild leader. If that isn't the right person, then this stuff is irrelevent. His gemming selection is a bit off for tanking, particularly hard modes. He is using a lot of hybrid gems for socket bonuses, even when the socket bonus is low. He also gems for strength instead of expertise which is what most tanks would do in order to meet the meta requirement. Shoulder gem should be just Solid. In chest the one in the blue socket should be Solid, shouldn't bother putting a hybrid gem in an already blue socket ever. Using the other socket as a hybrid gem is ok here since the socket bonus is a bit higher, though most would recommend still solid. His legs have a red/blue socket and that's the only piece that should have a hybrid gem (expertise/stam) to meet both meta requirement and socket bonus. Boots again he is using a hybrid gem for a +9 stamina bonus which is ok though could just use double solid there. Lastly his gloves with a single yellow socket and only a +6 stamina bonus should be ignored, +6 simply isn't worth it. That should be solid.

Judging by where you are in gear and that I don't really see much for "Heroic" tags on your gear or on the tanks I can guess this is Heroic Northrend Beasts that is causing your problems. For Northrend Beasts I would say have the priest and shaman on tank healing duty, and you are rolling HoTs on both tanks and anyone who gets a stack of a fire debuff. Wild growth on the tanks and melee pretty much on cooldown.

Failing on this fight though is often a matter of proper execution rather than healing issues. Are snobolds being killed fast enough. Are people standing in fire too long. You need to take a look at combat logs or death logs. After you wipe, look at recount and see what killed the people. The main tank died. Well, did he go for 3 seconds without any healing. If so, shame on the healers. If he died in under 2 seconds just from taking 70,000 damage, you probably went for too high in impale stacks, shame on the tanks. If snobolds aren't being killed fast enough, particularly on the healers, shame on the dps. Doing this fight on heroic difficulty is a significant step up from doing it on normal.

freakouthealer
11-22-2009, 02:57 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Saurfang&n=Saintironarm)

here is the tank :) and yes that was him but i will link it to cut out the fuss of looking for him.

Also to make it clear we as a guild got the CC's first clear on Saurfang. we clear it and onixia in a couple of hours ever week. So there is nothing wrong with my guild. not saying we don't have our ups and downs as a guild. Also being what i would call a family guild (there are a few couples in the guild and other family member; a lot of brothers and sisters play, then the rest of us who are not all friends from high school are randoms and that is 2% of the guild. most of us have met also :) ) we have grown transfered servers together as well.

I only want to better myself so i can be an "EPIC" healer instead of just another healer. Its Because i am the only 10 man raiding druid in my guild and i don't know that many other druids (raid healing druid i know as i said before) i don't want to stress and go in knowing that i know what i am doing is right.

Conreeaght
11-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Everyone likes triangles, so I'll rehash my theory on "how to be good at WoW"

First triangle:

Itemization
Skill
Interface

Itemization, is more then just gearing, glyphing, gem choice, and all the subtle permutations thereof. You've asked, hopefully answers are up to standard in this department.

Skill, is something we can't help you with more then the rudimentaries of "this is what you need to have up" and "this is your priority" After that, you're really out on your own and need to gain experience.

Interface, is not only the UI of the game, but also everything down the pipe between you and the server. good computer configuration, strong connection, low latency, high FPS are all things that help. However, I find designing a custom UI is fundimental in increasing my productivity. This does require skill of a different sort, but if you're still using the WoW interface for just about anything, it is TERRIBLE for just about any role. Oh, and mods count here too, but that can go without saying.

These 3 connect with each other, and as long as you're willing to constantly work on all 3, THAT is what makes a good player. If you wish to trancend further, I often blog on the subject.

Lastly, if you are the only raiding druid, and your info pool is small, you did the right thing in going beyond to seek advice. Sites like this should increase the number of resto druids that can look you over and you can compare notes with. Other option is to armory some of the top guilds on your server, sort by class, and look at the druids for the resto ones. See what their gearset looks like. Check for a time when they're not actively in a raid zone, and send them a tell asking if you could pick their brains on healing strategy.*

* I answer questions all the time for the classes I play on my server for those that find me - and as long as I'm not busy - in which case I just say I'm busy, and reschedule. I don't mind these questions at all, I find them quite flattering. I think they find me through tankspot, because we are nowhere near the top guild. We're just expert pugs :D

Quinafoi
11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
That is the tank I thought you had and if you look at my prior post, there is a lot of room for cleaning up on the tank side of things. A tank gemming for strength scares me. /cower

Skill is one department I think that I can offer you some advice in though. PvP a lot more, particularly battlegrounds. You learn different types of skills in PvE and PvP, however all of these skills help to make you a stronger player in both aspects. Generally the skills you learn from PvP are movement, adaptability, spacial awareness, and self awareness. I find that people who PvP more often are generally the people less subject to getting tunnel vision and standing in fire for two ticks instead of just one. A strong player will generally have a good balance in PvP and PvE skills.

Frustration is contageous, just like all those crazies that yawn over vent *raises fist in anger* damn you! Take a step back, relax, and learn from what happened. Make a joke. I blame Canada for that wipe. Lighten the mood a little. If you let the boss beat you outside of the game, he's not going to have any problem beating you in the game.