PDA

View Full Version : Halp!! Arms/Fury warrior needs advice!

Nimthiriel
11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Was asking for help at another site and they recommended you guys. :)

As Arms I constantly do a nauseating 3.5k-4.5k dps in 25 man ToC (regular, not Heroic) while the many DKs and ret pallies in my guild are pulling over 6k regularly. I'm the only dps warrior and I'm positive I could be doing more dps!! I have been all over the web trying to figure out what I am doing wrong but to no avail.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Nimthiriel)

My rotation:
Rend - MS - Overpower when procs - Ex when procs - Slam

I've heard you should replace Slam with Heroic Strike if you have more than 75 rage but I have yet to try that out (am trying to do so today). Also heard to throw in a MS before Execute when Sudden Death procs and you have 40 or more rage but haven't tried it. Are these good for the rotation?

Problems I am aware of in my Arms spec:
1. I know am over expertise cap but it's because of my weapon; I am after Justicebringer so I can change to Poleaxe specialization but the stupid thing just won't drop for me. I also have Reckoning in the bank - would that be a better choice than what I have?
2. I am over hit cap due to gear. I could change out Mark of Supremacy for my ol' Mirror of Truth, which would put me slightly under hit cap, but is there something else I could do?

Is there a better Arms spec? What can I do to help my gear? My rotation?

Now here's another question completely. My other spec is Fury. I can pull about 4k - 4.5k on practice dummies with my Fury spec but while raid buffed I barely do 3.5k. O_o This mystifies me.

My Fury rotation:
WW (proc) - BT(proc) - Slam (proc) - HS Spam

I wish I could post my Armory twice but I can't so here are my stats from my Character Info while in Fury spec, Berserker Stance. It's the same gear plus Reckoning (and a Str gem in it that I need to change out).

Hit: 11.04% (again, over due to gear)
Expertise: 27
Crit: 36.31%
ArP: 50.16%
AP: 4590

Any rotation/spec advice for my Fury set? Sorry I can't post Armory to this too; I decided I'd post my Arms one because that's what I pull in slightly more dps in raid as.

Thank you for your time and help - I am at my wits end here and feeling a bit burned out after watching myself be so low on the dps charts again and again. >>

MellvarTank
11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I had a look.... in fury do you have another gear set? If not regem every single ArP gem with strength and you'll notice a tremendous difference. With your gear, you could easily do 5.5-6k in TotC 25.

A couple of things to remember (different from Arms):

1) It's all about rage MANAGEMENT, not USE. You need to keep enough rage to hit your WW/BT, but don't let it get so high that you are "wasting" it. That's what cleave/HS are for ->rage dump.

2) You absolutely HAVE to monitor your Slam! procs. If there is one thing that people in Fury have an issue with (if not rage) it is this. I use Mik's Scrolling Battle Text with an audible sound whenever Slam! proc's. If you don't have a sound play when you get the proc... do what Capt. Picard would do: "Make it so."

Have a look in the DPS section of the forum and read TheGreatMe's Fury Guide and watch his vids. It should help paint the picture more clearly. In Fury, strength>all for gemming.

Nimthiriel
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately I do not have another gear set. :/ And I've regemmed so much that I'd have a hard time gemming back to Strength with the cost at the moment. How much will having Arp instead of Strength hinder my dps as Fury?
Thank you for recommending TheGreatMe's Fury Guide and videos - they were extremely helpful. I figured out that my problem is that I definitely do not manage rage well (I do use Slam Alert so I've got that one covered). I am a bit confused about how often/when to use HS/Cleave now though - do I use at any time in the rotation when I am over 50 rage? Also, what do I use as a GCD if instant Slam doesn't proc (and Victory Rush/Execute are not avaliable). Do I just refresh a shout each time even though it's unnecessary? I was using HS as that GCD filler but now I see that isn't how it works...

Destruyen
11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
it will hinder it quite a bit. due to the change of improved berserker stance talent, granting an extra 20% strength while in berserker stance, it adds up to alot. in your case almost 1k more ap (give or take a few).

and with bloodsurge procs, you might not have the chance to use every single proc. if the slam's global you use delay bt or ww more than .5 seconds, it is a dps loss to slam in that case. i think the "optimum level" of bloodsurge usage is ~80-85% (not exactly sure, haven't played fury in forever).

heroic strike is not a gcd filler, it is an on-next-attack that doesn't use a global. if you have a free global and no bloodsurge proc, thorw out a sunder armor if you are the only warrior or are assigned sunder duty. if you aren't on sunder duty, use a shout or something, refreshing at a low point in your global usage means that later on when that shout would be falling off, you are crowded with bt/ww/slam globals and using a global to shout would mean a dps loss.

MellvarTank
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Don't be afraid to not use a GCD if you don't have the rage too. Better to not use rage and have it available come the next BT/WW than use it and rage starve yourself. This is where that rage management comes into play.

Nimthiriel
11-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok I'm in the middle of regemming to Strength and have been practicing the rotation on the dummies. It seems like I am getting the rotation right and I am constantly watching the rage bar and hitting HS if it gets over half filled or so but I am still only coming out with about 2.6k dps overall.

Any more tips?

Thegreatme
11-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Target dummy DPS as fury is severely gimped. your rage generation in raids is going to be much much higher and that will allow for your DPS to be much much higher.

The best way to gauge your DPS capabilities as fury is to raid. Maybe do naxx and compare your patchwerk DPS as fury to it as arms (assuming similar buffs for both tests)

Nimthiriel
11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
TheGreatMe! Thank you so much for your guides! They helped me so much. Okay, I will try to get into a raid and see what happens.

Nimthiriel
11-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm only hitting about 3.7k in 10 man ToC. :/ I guess I need more practice.