PDA

View Full Version : Threat Issues with my DK Tank.

Poe
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey there everyone,

I'm currently having a slight issue with building threat on my DK Tank. Here (http://http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Ysera&n=Poenadin&group=1) is my current spec. My current rotation for Single target Mobs is, D&D, IT, PS, HS, HS, OB Runicstrike when it's up, and deathcoil to as a RP Dump. Then HS, HS, HS, HS, HS, HS. And I refresh my diseases whenever applicable. I generally do the same for AoE tanking, but put a pest and BB into the mix.

Another thing I'm having issues with is a macro for setting up Rune Strike into most of my attacks, and help and tips would be appreciated. :D

Xzanthos
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
From your description I had thought you were Blood from the HS's, but your Armory shows you as frost.

For a Frost rotation, Single target: IT, PS, BS, BS, OB (runes refresh or Empower Rune Weapon on bosses) OB, OB, OB. Rinse and repeat. I generally only Frost Strike when I'm capped on RP, or if KM Procs after the first one I'll usually eat up the KM proc with a second FS. Don't use Death Coil as Frost, it's inferior to Frost Strike. I tend to only Frost strike once to ensure I have the RP for Rune Strike, and Death Pack incase something goes wrong and I need to spot heal myself.

For AE threat: HB, DnD, BB, Rune Tap, BB. From here on out I generally just keep Howling Blast and BB on Cooldown, saving my runes for HB if it's almost refreshed, otherwise Obliterate hoping for Rime procs. The only time I ever use PS > Pest is on Onyxia whelps since the extra damage will drop them a bit quicker.

You might check out a spec closer to this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EGZhxx0AbIof0buzAo0x:TawM0m)

Frost really doesn't need epidemic, and you'll gain additional aggro from the extra 2 points in Bladed Armor.

I'd also consider switching out the glyph of Icy touch. Either for Frost Strike (more threat) Dark Command (resisted taunts, your hit is a bit low) or Unbreakable Armor.

For your runestrike macro it should look like this:

#showtooltip Obliterate
/cast Rune Strike
/cast Obliterate

I personally put a /startattack in before the Rune Strike, incase I'm fighting a pack of mobs and I'm mashing an attack but don't have the runes to execute the attack, it'll turn auto attack on for me.

Make a macro like that for every ability you use. Know which ability you're going to use next in your rotation, and tap that ability as your runes refresh. This will make sure you activate Rune Strike every chance it's available.

If you are indeed blood, and your armory is misleading your rotation should look something like this.

IT, PS, HS, HS, DS (runes refresh, ERW on bosses) HS, HS, HS, HS or, DS, DS, DS if you need the heals.

for AE threat. DnD, IT, PS, Pest, Rune Tap, BB. Keep BB's on cooldown, and diseases spread.

Hope this helps.

Chamenas
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
If you are indeed Blood, your rotation for AoE should be:

DnD, BB, and then you have a choice, if the mob is so weak that it's almost dead, just continue to BB, otherwise toss up an IT and PS and then Pest, then spam BB and toss up DnD whenever it's not on cooldown. To get the first pest off you will likely need to hit a rune tap.

There's very little reason as Blood to start off a single target Rotation with DnD, mine is something like:
IT, PS, HS, HS, DS, HS (spam)
I use DS whenever I need a bit of hp or I can't do anything else (frost and unholy runes off cooldown) and I use pest to refresh my diseases (glyph of disease), I also obviously rune strike whenever applicable.

Edit: Damn, I should read ALL of the post instead of assuming the above poster would only mention Frost >.>

Poe
11-20-2009, 08:24 AM
As for me being blood, I had to respec because I was the OT for Onyxia last night, and I need some kind of extra AoE for the whelps. But my "Off spec" will be blood single target. My apologies for misleading. I appreciate the halp though! :D I'll give that a shot, and see what comes out of it.