PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips/opinions

Wiredude
11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm looking for some tips/opinions on where I need to focus to improve. Armory Link. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Whisperwind&n=Dreymor) I've been at 80 for a little over a month
I'm currently able (and have tanked) in Naxx 10, Ulduar 10, OS 10/25, and VoA 10, along with both versions of Ony (no successful kills yet though), and of course Heroics.
Gearwise I think I'm doing OK, not great, but adequate. This evening after doing the daily Heroic I'll be able to get my Clutch of Fortification (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47731) which will replace my blue ring, and I'll be able to switch my shoulders out to the Pauldrons of the Colossus (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37635), and maintain my Def rating.
I have 2 real questions.
One, I get feedback from healers that I seem to get hit fairly hard, especially early in fights. Granted most of these healers are used to pally tanks, not warriors, so maybe that's a class mechanic thing? As near as I can tell my health is at an acceptable level, my armor is adequate, and my avoidance is adequate as well, so I'm not sure what's going on there...
Also, what can I do to raise my DPS while tanking? I seem to be stuck around 1300-1500, and while I'm doing well enough threat-wise (not threat-capping my DPS) I'd really like to put out a little more damage. I do know I need to get a little more expertise, and my hit is actually much higher than I need it, but would that really make that much difference?

Any input/ideas folks? Thanks in advance.

Bashal
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
One, I get feedback from healers that I seem to get hit fairly hard, especially early in fights.

Do you charge in at the boss? I'd guess so, since it gives you some rage to work with. If the healers are used to pally tanks, they may not be following you closely enough, and when you charge, you bolt out of healing range for a moment. This can make it look like you are getting "hit harder" during the initial pull. The healers should be right behind you when approaching the boss initially, and popping a CD at the start can help, too (although on some bosses blowing a CD off the bat may be unwise).

Griff
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
That dodge trinket is not a great choice and the defense trinket from Naxx10 would be a solid upgrade for you, as would the stam trinket from AN.

You've also got some blue-quality gems in your gear that should be upgraded but beyond that, nothing jumps out at me as really wrong with your spec/gear/enchants. Health pool is above what I started naxx25 with - just make sure you're getting shielded before you head in and blow a trinket cooldown if you have one and pop shield block for the pull to give healers a little margin while the position themselves.

Wiredude
11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks, at least on that front.
And yes, I do use Charge most of the time, in addition to the rage factor, it's just fun! :) I may actually macro shield block in with charge if I can (don't remember if they're both on the GCD)
Would I be better off switching back to one of the Brewfest stam trinkets until I can get something better?
I knew I had a blue gem in my gloves, had completely missed the one in my chest-piece, I shall have to fix at least one of those this evening!

Insahnity
11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's what stood out for me.
-If you are struggling to get defense, go for full defense gem on chest (instead of parry/defense).If you can get away with it, go with def/stam instead of parry/def
-Wrist should be def/stam or 30 stam gem

As your gear improves, slowly phase out pure def to def/stam gems, or maybe even pure stamina if the socket bonus isn't stamina.

Although you haven't mentioned threat problems, if you feel the need to match a red socket for a bonus, go with Expertise/stam, your expertise is very low. Getting to 26 expertise is important if threat is an issue.

Griff
11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but at his current gearing level, defense is still the tantamount concern and at present, there isn't a lot of wiggle room for gemming/enchanting for expertise.

I don't remember if you had it Wiredude but the Signet of the Impregnable Fortress would be a nice upgrade over that blue ring you've got. its got a solid chunk of defense on it and both hit and expertise..plus, its only 25 badges IIRC so obtainable in one afternoon of grinding heroics. The ToC ring is itemized nicely but doesn't have any defense on it so its actually pretty costly in that slot as you need to pay for the defense loss elsewhere.

Wiredude
11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I've been juggling gems/enchants to stay at 540, along with saving bits of gear here and there to swap back in (if I get an upgrade that lacks defense). Ideally I'd like to be able to swap out some of the def gems for stam or expertise, but I'm workin pretty hard to toe the line right now.
I do not yet have the ring you mentioned Griff, but my plan is to pick up the Triumph ring tonight, replacing the blue one I have. I actually have the badges to trade down to get the ring you mentioned as well (I totally missed it), but would that ring actually be an upgrade over the ToC ring? Or at least for the time being?