PDA

View Full Version : Anyone WoW with their SO?

HarassMe
11-18-2009, 08:07 AM
My girlfriend has recently started playing WoW (about 2 weeks now), after sitting and watching me play for the last couple of months.

She has grown quite fond of the game and is really enjoying her first play through. Its actually been somewhat nostalgic because she is running into the same issues a lot of brand-new players do. It is very much trial and error, for her, and she is enjoying every minute of it.

I've found that i have to really work on not critiquing her playstyle and letting her figure things out for herself. I just have a hard time watching her die to a monster she is frustrated with, while she has Lay on Hands or some other ability that would essentially save her.

In any case, it has been very much another type of bonding experience for her and I, she talks to me about her characters and gets excited about certain things she has to look forward to. When i watch her walk in and roll through a group of monsters, like shes been playing for years, it brings a smile to my face. :D

Does anyone else game with their SO?

Jalousie
11-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I used to. My ex was Alliance but I rolled Horde, he was horrified. I think you're taking a good attitude by letting her figure things out for herself: in the long run that will really benefit her and it's definitely a more rewarding experience to play through at one's own pace than to have someone correcting everything just to get you to 80 faster.

Bovinity
11-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Yep!

Got the wife playing about 2 years ago, and it's been good times. She's more into achievements and pets and mounts and such, but we still raid together.

We sit side by side now and play together and it's a lot of fun. Sometimes people whine about the smooching noises in vent or the suggestive comments in raid chat, but too bad. ;)

HarassMe
11-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Yep!

Got the wife playing about 2 years ago, and it's been good times. She's more into achievements and pets and mounts and such, but we still raid together.

We sit side by side now and play together and it's a lot of fun. Sometimes people whine about the smooching noises in vent or the suggestive comments in raid chat, but too bad. ;)

lol, we sit right next to one another when we play, as well. Recently, she just uses me as her WoW encyclopedia... "where is this? what does 74war lfg DTK mean???"

right now, one of her favorite things is crafting... shes a 22 pally with JC/Mining and she loves to go on node hunts. "Hell yeah, honey! I found some Tin!"

i love it :cool:

Helgi
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I've tried getting her (girlfriend) to play but so far it hasn't worked. She admits that she enjoys playing the game, but there is something in the way that is preventing her from completely enjoying it.

Her little brother plays the game and is completely obsessed with it and other video games. As a result he is starting to ignore his family and gets violent when his parents don't allow him to play (what makes matters worse is the parents are divorced, and the mother allows much more playing than the father). As a result my girlfriend has blamed WoW for turning her brother into a complete monster (tbh, he is way out of control when it comes to video games).

So there are days when she is willing to play for awhile (usually an hour max) and there are other days when she is completely against it and yells at me for "even supporting such a terrible industry."

dirt
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I play WoW with my wife. We both raid in a top 10 guild on our realm. Her main is a SV hunter but she also has a mage, druid and pally.

Early on she was content to do quests, as it was more a stress relief from her RL job. Once she caught up to me level wise, I urged her to try some instances as that's what I was interested in. At first, she was scared to death of making mistakes or causing wipes. She's very competitive by nature, even though she denies it. She hates to lose, and quickly the fear of causing wipes went by the wayside and it then went to heroics and then finally raiding.

I helped her alot at first, explaining what she didn't understand, explaining mechanics of the game, etc. Early on I was not critical at all. Then when our original guild broke up, I knew I wanted to get into raiding. She seemed eager as well, so I told it was going to go to a whole different level. She had to put the time in, learn her class and earn her spot. That's just the way it was, no one would carry her or any other player for long. They had to earn their keep.

So all that said, I gave her the resources to get better(websites, guides, etc.) and told her to understand how people are when they raid. People are not afraid to call out when others mess up, so she was going to have to grow a thick skin. She has put the time in and even though she says she's not that good, she keeps getting invited to our guild raids every week. She knows how to play her hunter very well and is working on her mage & druid when we are not raiding. Asking questions of others and doing her homework.

So here we are almost 2 years later still playing and still having a great time. I am critical of her more now, because mistakes are more magnified in raids. But, she is not timid either and lets me and others know when they mess up. So thats fair.

So to the OP, I feel much the same. Very proud of her success and improvement as a player. She can certainly hold her own with the top DPSers in our guild.

Alastrionia
11-18-2009, 10:21 AM
my wife actually got the ball rolling almost 3 years ago.
trial offer and away she went. after about a month I finally had enough
watching and decided it was my turn to have some fun.

by then her 1st toon, a mage, was already @ 34 and climbing fast
she tells me "pally, mage, hunter" lvl fast and get caught up

instead I roll a warrior, and plow through content like a madman :p

now, we co-manage a casual guild that helps others lvl, gear up, pug raids,
just having fun in general. and with ICC on the horizon looking to up the ante to more serious raiding.

while a prot warrior usually would be in love with a healer in their pocket
my wifes combo of face melting , core freezing can't be beat :D

bluewire
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I envy all of you that get to play with your SO. Sadly, mine thinks WoW is a childish timesink at best, and a major detriment to both my psyche and our relationship at worst. She hears about game addiction, and WoW-widow support networks from her friends. So, I rarely play when she is around. /sigh. The toughest part is that I think if she tried it she would really get into it.

HarassMe
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I play WoW with my wife. We both raid in a top 10 guild on our realm. Her main is a SV hunter but she also has a mage, druid and pally.

Early on she was content to do quests, as it was more a stress relief from her RL job. Once she caught up to me level wise, I urged her to try some instances as that's what I was interested in. At first, she was scared to death of making mistakes or causing wipes. She's very competitive by nature, even though she denies it. She hates to lose, and quickly the fear of causing wipes went by the wayside and it then went to heroics and then finally raiding.

I helped her alot at first, explaining what she didn't understand, explaining mechanics of the game, etc. Early on I was not critical at all. Then when our original guild broke up, I knew I wanted to get into raiding. She seemed eager as well, so I told it was going to go to a whole different level. She had to put the time in, learn her class and earn her spot. That's just the way it was, no one would carry her or any other player for long. They had to earn their keep.

So all that said, I gave her the resources to get better(websites, guides, etc.) and told her to understand how people are when they raid. People are not afraid to call out when others mess up, so she was going to have to grow a thick skin. She has put the time in and even though she says she's not that good, she keeps getting invited to our guild raids every week. She knows how to play her hunter very well and is working on her mage & druid when we are not raiding. Asking questions of others and doing her homework.

So here we are almost 2 years later still playing and still having a great time. I am critical of her more now, because mistakes are more magnified in raids. But, she is not timid either and lets me and others know when they mess up. So thats fair.

So to the OP, I feel much the same. Very proud of her success and improvement as a player. She can certainly hold her own with the top DPSers in our guild.

thats great... my girlfriend is currently experience "Pug anxiety" in that she is TERRIBLY afraid that people will be mad at her if she inadvertantly does something that causes a wipe. I told her... "look, i'm a tank... if i got upset at someone everytime i died, i wouldnt have ANYone to play with. Dying is part of the game and its just that, a game. If someone is going to throw a fit because you made a mistake and they died... forget em, you probably dont want to be playing with that person anyways."

so now shes at the point where she can run some instances, but we all know the low level instance issue, these days. So i'm hoping i will be able to hop on one of my lowbies and throw together a few runs, to get her feet wet.

Shortypop
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM
My SO got me playing a couple of years ago - I remember very fondly his laughter at the poor little gnome running into walls and dieing endlessly (never played wasd-controlled game before). After a couple of weeks we transferred the gnome off his account and we levelled together from the mid20s, we've raided together since 60 and I love having someone else sitting next to me, reminding each other of things, asking for bop/bofs (he's a pally).

Enough of memory lane, it sounds like you've got a nice relaxed attitude to it, I'm a huge fan of everyone finding their own way: answer questions when asked, offer a small amount of advice and encourage throughout. Pugging instances at first is scary, perhaps more so for women who tend to more concerned about what people will think (I know vast generalisation), she'll have some bad experiences but I hope the good experiences vastly outweigh the bad - I love the social aspect of WoW, of hugging guildies and strangers!

Best of luck to you both.

Ownes
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
I actually met my current girlfriend through WoW, a friend made me reroll on a new server (as usuall) and he got me talking to her. We would stay up all the time not totally playing but in the game chatting over vent/msn. Eventually I asked her to hang out and she wanted to, she only lived about 1hr away from me so we went out one day and have been together since then.

She is the best and so cute, playing with her makes the game worth playing usually. She knows a bit (i know a little more) but when she will be running something on her pally (her main is a lock) she will scream about her dieing or something to the effect and ill just glance at her and say "LOH baby" she will sigh usually.

I started getting back into WoW recently and she is all excited (i work nights) but i at least get some playtime and chat time with her now that she is in college for a bit (still not far away *about 3 hours*). Having a girlfriend who is into something you are whether its Music, Art, Videogames whatever makes everything so much easier and better.

She is the best!

woodyman
12-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Ive been trying to get the wife to play wow for ages now. i got her into it a little a while ago but she went off it pretty quickly.
we only have one computer at the moment so it causes a lot of arguments when i raid and im on it for 4 hours straight.

Hoping that if i get her an account an we can play together she might get into it a bit more.
fingers crossed!!

Penlowe
12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
For those of you having issues with your SO & WoW:

Talk to your SO, not about the content of the game or how it's played but the social aspects. Introduce them to the people you play with, tell them 'normal' things about your guildies. SO's who don't play games or hang out on the computer need to understand you aren't really spending hours and hours 'alone'. Being part of a raiding guild is no different than being part of a bowling league or a softball team. (I used this approach with my parents too).

If after reading that you realize your guildies are not the kind of people your SO would like/ tolerate/ hang out with, think hard about what you can do to remedy that. Play an alt with her in a different guild? Roll toons together on another server?

Then, find something you & your SO can do together and have fun, a sport, a club, home improvement, whatever. Too many couples activity they do together is dating, and after marriage they stop dating, this is bad. My husband & I tried a variety of things. We were good at home improvement but found it not near enough fun. WoW was a BIG stretch for me, I'd never played anything more involved than Solitaire and Minesweeper. The first thing he did is get me into his guild and introduce me to the three other women there (two spouses and one girlfriend). I had four people I could ask idiotic questions. The rest is history.
Oh, and we never stopped dating either. Our eleventh anniversary is on the 19th.

Xepri
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
My SO at the time got me to join WoW shortly after it came out. Fortunately for me, he was kind of a hardass. I learned to check out all of my abilities instead of relying on certain things in order to always use a good rotation.

I definitely agree with Penlowe! It's important and healthy to do fun (and in WoW's case, challenging) activities together.

NeuroticOne
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
My girlfriend tanks for our guild and I am a healer. For a while I was working late and it turned out to be an advantage as the raid would be losing a healer and she would call and find out how long till I got home and I'd have a raid spot waiting for me just as soon as I could log in.

Another distinct advantage to playing in the same room is that when her computer crashed one night in Ulduar I was able to let the guild know and we averted a wipe :D

Xianth
12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Me and my missus levelled up together and raided throughout vanilla together. She stopped playing early in TBC as she started her job as a teacher and didn't have the free time to raid. She still comes back every expansion to level through the new content though, and then i use her priest as an easy alt :D

hellokitti
12-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Our eleventh anniversary is on the 19th.

Happy Anniversary! We are approaching 9 ourselves.

I got my husband to play WoW when we were geographically seperated. It is great to have someone to vent to about folks who maybe getting on my nerves or frustrations with guild issues, et al. I cannot imagine playing WoW without him and as of late, we have enjoyed leveling our alts more than raiding.

But we have always loved playing video games so this was an easy leap for me. It was much harder for my mom though, who NEVER played video games. But my Dad enjoyed WoW, so we convinced her to give it a go. She initially liked being able to change hairstyles, outfits, etc. Then she rolled a DK and never looked back. WHile she is more focused on professions over end game raiding, they have lots of fun sharing a hobby. And they just celebrated their 42nd anniversary. I think WoW has given them something completely different to do together and to talk about beyond the usual things.:)

HarassMe
12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
It's been about two months since my girl started playing and it doesn't look like she will be stopping anytime soon lol. She hasn't played a whole lot lately, because of school, but that isn't for lack of trying!

The new lfg system has made her very happy as now she's been able to run the lower lvl content in the fashion it was meant to be run and not some super powerful character doing it.

ttocs
12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Her little brother plays the game and is completely obsessed with it and other video games. As a result he is starting to ignore his family and gets violent when his parents don't allow him to play (what makes matters worse is the parents are divorced, and the mother allows much more playing than the father). As a result my girlfriend has blamed WoW for turning her brother into a complete monster (tbh, he is way out of control when it comes to video games).

This might be a derailment of sorts, but the blame is misplaced.

I'm no expert on relationships, but it might be worth looking into the root cause - depending on the situation surrounding the parent's divorce, that could be it. Her brother could be using video games as an escape. When things get a little rough around here, I find myself "hiding out" here in the computer room more and more. I've gotten cranky over missing out on a video game before (especially when it came to tournaments and such), but never violent.

To get your girlfriend to play a bit more, it might be worth trying to relate to the brother a bit, open up a bit, and get to the root of the situation - and probably help her understand that it's his escape, and he probably needs more support from her to understand it better. Obviously, this is much easier said than done - but ultimately it might help the brother out more in the long term.

Video games are a convenient escape and relying on them as much as he has can certainly be a problem, but it goes without saying that it's probably one of the "better" escape mechanisms, given the alternatives.

Dragonpally
12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
The gf tried it on a warroir alt I'm working on and well needless to say she was not to happy with what she was doing so she got to level ten and stopped there so as she puts it "Now I have tried your game and I like it but not my cup of tea." But she loves to watch when I'm raidng and see all the cool loot and the boss fights and random talks on vent and guild chats.

HarassMe
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
My girlfriends school quarter just ended AND she has the week off from work. I've gone home to eat lunch with her, each day and shes been online, every single time... talking about the stuff she mined or jc'd, someone she met while questing... it cracks me up.

What is great about this, is now we have even MORE to talk about and share with one another... not that we had any problems before but it just brings us closer, the more we have in common.

Currently she is excited about getting her very fast mount, and being able to wear platemail armor :D

Penlowe
12-23-2009, 01:32 PM
My husband frequently "off-tanks the children" and I have yelled at them "click follow!!". It can get a bit silly sometimes.

Just don't forget those RL Daily Quests: picking up your dirty laundry, walking the dog, etc. ;)

HarassMe
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Update- Girlfriend did her first couple pugs over the weekend... the first one she was nervious and taking everything WAY too seriously. I told her to just sit and play the next one, dont worry about the other people or if you're doing anything wrong... just play.

By the end of the run, she had a big smile on her face and was que'ed up for more... its only been a couple days and she runs through these few instances, pretty well.

Her favorite part of the partying process? Sitting back and listening to the other people bicker about who is the tank, who is pulling, and who sucks. She just laughs and laughs and laughs...