PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to get into raiding

Zerefin
11-17-2009, 05:20 AM
So, here's the armory link...
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazjatar&cn=Zerefin&gn=Dont+Make+Me+Get+My+Main)

Probably not good considering I'm in fury spec with fury gear..but realm maintenance and all.. As for the Mark of the Relentless, simply haven't found a better ring then it so far.

But this thread is aimed at getting some tanking help, so here goes.

Straight off of wow-heroes (which luckily saves gear sets for each spec xD) here's the defense stats:

Defense: 547
Resilience: 15
Dodge: 23.97%
Parry: 18.39%
Block: 22.65%

I'm sitting at 33.3k base health and 23.9k base armor. I also switch out the brewfest trinket for The Black Heart, depending on the fight. Except for the BoE emblem bracers, I'm 99.9% sure I have the best gear I can possibly get from doing heroics.

But nonetheless, I'm having trouble getting into raiding anything harder than OS, or Naxx; which I have yet to get a full clear on. Help?

dirt
11-17-2009, 06:26 AM
You didn't make mention of your guild situation, so I'm going to assume either they don't do much raiding or you can't get a tanking spot. Your best bet would probably be in an upstart guild that needs a tank. In the past I'd probably say do some PuGs, meet some people, get experience, etc. But in the current WoW I think alot of people would agree, coming into a PuG they want a geared and experienced tank to pull them through. People have little patients these days and want every run to be smooth sailing and easy.

On my server over the last month all I see is people in trade chat spamming for tanks with a gearscore of XXXX+. They all equate a high gear score being equal to skill. The reality is just about everyone that raids 10 or 25 ToC has a pretty high gear score but again that does not make them good players necessarily. Anyways, my point is just alot of groups look for really geared tanks as a crutch and are reluctant to take less geared tanks.

Just keep plugging away, keep putting yourself out there and don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's best way to learn. Let people know you are just getting started in tanking and never be ashamed to ask questions of people you run with. It will make you much better in the end. Good luck.

Zerefin
11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. You'd be right in the guild being not all that much into raiding..but that's another problem, as it's my guild. So the leader gquitting to raid just doesn't feel like an option.

Thanks again for the response :)

Adamaeldar
11-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Caveat, I'm at work and can't see your armory. Your stats seem pretty good to me for somebody who just geared up through heroics. Nicely done.

I'm assuming that the majority of your guild doesn't want to raid and since you are the guild leader, you don't want to leave. Here's a couple options:

1) Start PUG raids on your server. You may have wild variation in the quality of folks you're getting, but give it a try. Even just knocking out 10 man or 25 man Flame Leviathan or VoA should give you some decent gear and some experience tanking (for VoA at least).

2) If you have a core of a few people who want to raid, try finding some 10 man guilds you get along with and you feel are fairly competent (you might be able to find some friends while you're doing heroics, etc). You might be able to slide you and your interested friends into their 10 man alt raids. OR

3) Try to find some 10 man raid guilds looking for extra folks to run 25 man content.

I think it's all about establishing yourself as a competent player and building a relationship with some other guilds who are running the content you want to run and need a tank.

Mr.Winkle
11-17-2009, 06:46 AM
I just armoried your guild out of interest and you have 350 members, with 31 being level 80s. Surely with a guild that size you can out together some semblance of a raiding team, even if its just for a 10-man OS or VOA, you have to start somewhere afterall.

Zerefin
11-17-2009, 07:02 AM
I just armoried your guild out of interest and you have 350 members, with 31 being level 80s. Surely with a guild that size you can out together some semblance of a raiding team, even if its just for a 10-man OS or VOA, you have to start somewhere afterall.
The numbers are true, but I have a policy of never kicking someone for being inactive. Only time anyone is kicked is if they're disrespectful. I have a DPS DK who refuses to do anything if he can't be in frost presence, so instead I've learned to hold aggro over that and work with it, because he's actual a pretty awesome guy, besides that fact.

We're lucky if we have 20 active members. 2 of those 80s belong to me. The same goes for a couple more of the 80s. Out of all the active 80s, only 2 of us are willing to tank. The other tank prefers bringing his rogue if we raid. So we have a lot of raid discussion, with no real raid action. Yet :)

But I definitely think the pugging with another guild should work, as we've been around for a while and we've had a lot of members leave to join high end raid guilds. We really did just start.
And now I've edited this post four times....