PDA

View Full Version : How does T gear work?

DarkKman
11-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Right... Get the flame guns ready... Here I come with a noob question... ;)

While reading through these threads on Tank Gear (and many other sites too) I read a lot about Tx Gear - now while I understand these as based on Tokens, I don't understand how you get the gear and are these Tokens the same as Emblems of (blah)...?

Let me give you an example. An Chest item listed in Demog's fantastic WotLK Tanking Gear List is " Heroes' Dreadnaught Breastplate (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=39611), Source: T7(10)" (sorry - don't know how to enter mouseover links). When you visit WOWHead this items shows as costing "Chestguard of the Lost Protector"...!?! Confused!!!

So my question is twofold:

1. How do you get these items if you first have to be in possession of another item? Do you have to work your way backwards?

2. Are tokens the same as Emblems?

I'm sure I'm an idiot (it must be all this tanking - being smacked around the head a few too many times) but if someone can link a page that details this kinda thing or even spend the time to explain it to me I'd be a most chirpy-chipper-chappie...

Thanks in advance... :D

Arklay
11-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Armor set - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Armor_sets)

1. You get those tier tokens by killing some bosses in raids, for example to get the chestpiece you are talking about you must kill The 4 horsemen in Naxxramas, you must check if it dropped the token needed for your class.

2. They are kinda emblems, is just a currency, you just use it to buy your armor set, if you have a chest token you can buy a chest tier piece, if you have a helm token you buy a helm piece, can be dps or prot pieces.

Not all tier tokens are the same, they change with each new raid instance and the version of the raid (10m or 25m)

Tier7 came with Naxxramas 10m, and its ''nickname'' to recognize this tier is ''Heroes''
Tier7.5 is from Naxxramas too but in its 25m version, this one is called ''Valorous''

Tier8 is from Ulduar 10m, this is called ''Valorous''
Tier8.5, Ulduar 25m, ''Conquerors''

Tier9, Trial of the Crusader, ''Conquerors'', it changed a little bit since you get this set with Emblems of Triumph
Tier9.25???, Trial of the Crusader, ''of Triumph'', you can buy this set with Emblems of Triumph and a Trophy of the Crusade that drops from each boss in ToC25m and by doing ToC10m/25m in its Heroic version.
Tier9.5???, Trial of the Crusade 25m Heroic Mode, you get Tokens for this set by defeating this instance in its Heroic Version

also i found this thread that can help you a bit too.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> What does tier mean? (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20122253414&sid=1)

DarkKman
11-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Many thanks Arklay. I think I understand. So even though it shows as 'an item', its really just a form of currency (you can't 'use' the item dropped - its just a token which can be used to purchase an item from a vendor)... Fantastic! I guess it just depends on the token as to where the Vendor is (wowhead search for me) but presume its in Dalaran. I think what confused me is that on Wowhead where it shows "Cost" it shows a Token icon but mentions an Item... Anyway, I got it now...

And as for the Emblems - I've just started Daily HCs so getting Emblem of Triumph so will look for what I get with them... :)

Again, thank you so much I think I'm starting to understand this game now... Well... Almost ;)

Xianth
11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I've also seen the tiers reffered to as 9.232, 9.245 etc. That's just the item level after the dot with the tier before it.

Mert
11-17-2009, 04:08 AM
I've also seen T9.10, T9.25 and T9.25H used to describe this Tier. It all eventually boils down to the same thing though - Tx is what raiding tier (usually which major content patch) the gear comes from - Naxx, OS and EoE are Tier 7, Ulduar is Tier 8, TotC and Onyxia are Tier 9 and Icecrown Citadel will be Tier 10.

The latter part (in its various forms) serves only to distinguish from which version of that Tier's raid it came from. As said, previously it was just x and x.5 to distinguish between 10- and 25-man versions. With the addition of "Heroic" loot, there are now three sets, hence the slightly confused nomenclature.

Espillion
11-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Just a reminder that T-gear is a staple purely for bonuses (some classes benefit from 2, some with 4, some don't with either). It's by all means not MANDATORY to get them yet it can help depending on the level of acquirement and its effects.

Most people during the start of TOC release probably deabted whether T8(.x) was superior in effect to T9(.x). With time and experience, viewpoints change and yeh. It's beneficial to get some T stuff to fill the blanks but not completely necessary to keep if something else is beneficial to you.

DarkKman
11-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Thanks again for all the input. Looking to start tanking Naxx 10 with my guild soon so wanna make sure I'm geared to the right level.

You are bleedin' great here :) Thanks again.