PDA

View Full Version : Now With More Marmots!

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Welcome to the all new, shinier, redesigned TankSpot frontpage! We hope this format provides a cleaner and stronger source of information, allowing us to get you the updates we receive from Blizzard and announce new guides without bumping down our movie and guide content from the frontpage.

Bluedot
11-16-2009, 05:45 AM
First!

Jalousie
11-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Change scares me! It is shiny, though.

Krenian
11-16-2009, 05:50 AM
Gotta admit Cider, it's pretty damn hot. Looks awesome!

Aliena
11-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Very shiny!

Fetzie
11-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Looks very nice :)

gabbu
11-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Omg awesome-swace

Pesko
11-16-2009, 05:57 AM
awesome work man! gj :)

Khue
11-16-2009, 06:00 AM
My name is Khue, and I approve of this message.

sardaukarz
11-16-2009, 06:28 AM
looks awesome for real but where the hell can I download my movies as I did before? Beeing a donor gives you the right to download movies in HD?! Did the redesign of the web site took that away from me? Can't find a simple and reliable downloads section...

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 06:37 AM
looks awesome for real but where the hell can I download my movies as I did before? Beeing a donor gives you the right to download movies in HD?! Did the redesign of the web site took that away from me? Can't find a simple and reliable downloads section...
Yikes, let me fix that!

http://www.tankspot.com/indexold.php?pageid=Downloads

Use that link until I update the links menu.

Roarc
11-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Is it just on my end or does the forum and front page now look totally different? Also, are you now running vBulletin 4.0 or is this just an intermediate update?

Roarc
11-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Hmm, also seem impossible to log in or see if you're logged in from the front page… Might just be some odd cache-issue going on here, the front page looks promising.

Edgar
11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Diagonal scan-lines ... *shudder*

Looks good though, not a single marmot on it though, atleast not visible @ 1280x1024

Kazeyonoma
11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
awesome work as usual Cider!

Rak
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Diagonal scan-lines ... *shudder*

Looks good though, not a single marmot on it though, atleast not visible @ 1280x1024

Scroll down.

Mhoram
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
The only thing I've noticed is, the black box at the top is kind of goofy. If you're using Noscript, and you have Tankspot forbidden, there's a notice that says "We don't mind that you're using Noscript, but consider donating." If you allow Tankspot, that message goes away, and all that's left is a big black box at the top of the screen (at least that's what I'm seeing).

It just seems like that space could be used for something more than a Noscript message, especially if nothing shows there when you're either not using Noscript, or you have Tankspot allowed.

Here's what I mean:

Noscript on:

http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/images/18859/1_noscripton.jpg (http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/Sunsage/noscripton.jpg)

Noscript off:

http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/images/18859/1_noscriptoff.jpg (http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/Sunsage/noscriptoff.jpg)

Just seems there could be more done with that space. (I tried to get the pics to show up instead of the links, but I couldn't get that to work.)

Kazeyonoma
11-16-2009, 10:46 AM
There's actually an ad there...

Chank
11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Though, the new layout is nice. It does take an excessive time to load, that half page overlay add that sprang out at me and continues to spring out at me even though I have donated annoys the hell out of me. The old site did this too, so I guess I will not be moving my bookmark from the forums to it just yet.

Mr.Winkle
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Very nice and shiny, although i really might have to consider donating because that square add on the right looks horrible.

Insahnity
11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Does the WSPCA approves of this? I want to be sure that no Marmots were harmed in the making of this new site, and that the MLO (Marmot Labour Organization) isn't going to protest the addition of the new marmots.

<Looking good so far>

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Very nice and shiny, although i really might have to consider donating because that square add on the right looks horrible.
Do not donate to get rid of that ad! The frontpage currently has no user verification and it is the only page on the site which you cannot get rid of the advertisement.

We've had a notice/discussion in the Donor forums for over a week and the donation page now says this, but I really want to make sure people are aware of this. Eventually it will work, but not yet.

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Though, the new layout is nice. It does take an excessive time to load, that half page overlay add that sprang out at me and continues to spring out at me even though I have donated annoys the hell out of me. The old site did this too, so I guess I will not be moving my bookmark from the forums to it just yet.
Describe the ad in detail if you can. Does it scroll out automatically or only on mouseover? Is it concealing basic navigation and/or is it impossible to close?

Name the ad as well, if you can.

Tiorda
11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Looks outstanding Ciderhelm. I've been coming to this site for nearly a year now ever since I heard about it from a friend and while I miss the movies you made I realize it's to deliver a better product overall :)

I'm excited to see the rest of the stuff you guys roll out. All your newer video recruits have been awesome.

Chank
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Describe the ad in detail if you can. Does it scroll out automatically or only on mouseover? Is it concealing basic navigation and/or is it impossible to close?

Name the ad as well, if you can.

Apparently, if your mouse hovers over the add in the top corner "Video Egg"? It was an add for Gain. It will count down then take over the window with an add. One I hit earlier scrolled down from the top to fill half the page.. I may have not been logged in at that time, but even if I wasn't, its annoying and normally I would just leave the site entirely.

Also, apparently tankspot thinks I should switch from Tide and buy a Nissan or something, since you know its related to my interests in visiting a gaming forum. =P

Ariedan
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm very much a fan! Full of character and very sleek. Needs more marmots, though.

veneretio
11-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Very cool, great work Cider!

Sparrta
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Looks shiny and clean. Great work Cider.

Edgar
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Scroll down.

Sneaky, sneaky marmot.

Amamaeth
11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Front page is awesome! Any plans to extend this theme into the other areas as well? The darker blue background may be easier on the eyes >_>

Therelin
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
looks very pretty i like it :D

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Front page is awesome! Any plans to extend this theme into the other areas as well? The darker blue background may be easier on the eyes >_>
Absolutely, but we're holding off on the forums until vBulletin 4 releases and we can install it sitewide. (Any template adjustments we make to the forums and blogs right now will be erased when we install vb4)

Xmp
11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
To be honest, I'm not crazy about it. A few things:

- Lower resolutions won't be able to see any important content above the fold
- The entire right 1/3 of the content section is dedicated to an "about us"/"projections" blurb that isn't really important enough for the front page of a content-focused site
- It loads really slow, even after caching the site and revisiting
- The line spacing in the news section could use some work

To make the new design really work out and compliment the nature of the site, I'd consider moving the entire contents of the news section/square block ad into the sidebar (maybe order it like so: ad, news blurbs, about), and get the content moved back up to where it should be. I took a look at the image file sizes and you seem to have done a good job keeping them down, so I'm not sure what the problem with load times comes from, might be bloated code or your host?

Anyways, looks spiffy and I hope you keep working on it to make the perfect portal.

Xmp
11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I can't seem to edit my own posts, but one other thing. Whatever geo-targeting you're using for the ads in the forum are serving me french ads, I'm assuming because I'm Canadian. 90% of my province doesn't even speak french, I'd look into another solution, you're losing out on some conversions there.

Lilie
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Really like it, Cider. Can't wait to see the rest of the site when 4.0 launches. Curious if you intend to continue the TS gear link on the homepage as I notice that's currently not included atm. (obviously I noticed cause of self-centered reasons -.- ...but, I am genuinely curious)

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Really like it, Cider. Can't wait to see the rest of the site when 4.0 launches. Curious if you intend to continue the TS gear link on the homepage as I notice that's currently not included atm. (obviously I noticed cause of self-centered reasons -.- ...but, I am genuinely curious)
I might have some more modeling for you soon! We're looking at a more professional clothing line, so I wanted to move us away from Spreadshirt for the time being. :)

Lilie
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I might have some more modeling for you soon! We're looking at a more professional clothing line, so I wanted to move us away from Spreadshirt for the time being. :)

Fantastic. Love to hear these improvements all around! Would love to help with whatever helps.

Ariedan
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say you should make Aliena model shirts too.

Ciderhelm
11-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say you should make Aliena model shirts too.
Already planning on it!

Ariedan
11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Already planning on it!
Man knows where the profit is!

Kazeyonoma
11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
If you need some asian modeling I'm your man! ;P Although that'll probably scare away.... customers...

Machus
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I really like the new design, very clean and compact.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Shiny! Shiny is a color! I like Shiny.

I wanna see Lore and Ciderhelm model T-shirts. No offense, Aliena, I'm sure you'll fill them out admirably, but I wanna see what they look like on male form....so I can buy one for the bear tank in my life.

Chank
11-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Just noticed... I wasn't logged in yet and the front page hit me with a half page ad for classmates.com.

If I were visiting the site for the first time ever ... I would have closed my browser instantly... just sayin. =P