PDA

View Full Version : Arms Warrior: DPS Gear Upgrade Choices...

TheBigApe
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
been a tank most of my end game life... but now i'm going Arms and i am beginning to love it.

i'm still working out the kinks and trying to push the envelope when it comes to how much dps i can do in raids... but i still find that i am in need of advice.

firstly, here is me in the armory... (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Bigape)

1) expertise
now i'm reading that some intentionally go under on the expertise softcap, reasoning being more OP procs and as arms warrior, we're always hitting from behind. currently, i opted to use the DMC-Greatness + Banner of Victory combo... i do have Victor's call... but all the plugins on Rawr and Landsoul's spreadsheet show slightly higher dps with this combo... is my choice right?

2) hit
maintaining my 8% hit here... some actually commented to me that my hit was too high... wait a minute, i need 8% hence i am using 3 gem slots for it... again, is this something that i can be under or better to maintain 8%?

3) ArPen
30% passive, 40% passive, still not 100% sure.. but gemming for it... but still, no luck on Mjolnir Runestone or GrimToll...
i'm about to give up on my search for these two...

4) Next Upgrade
bout 2 days away from my next 50 badge upgrade... was actually thinking of Mark of Supremacy to relieve some of my gemslots for +Hit... and replace with arpen... but now thinking... would i get more out of a T9 Helm/Chest/Legs?

i know it's a lot of questions... but thanks in advance.

ent
11-13-2009, 11:05 AM
You are still in prot kit on armory :-)

1) its not intentional, but there are better stats then expertise, most ppl are dropping expertise to get more armor pen.

2) you need 7% as alliance (you will probally get 1% from group wide draenei aura). hit till 7% will be your best DPS stat.

3) Mjolnir and GT arent that important for arms, as arms you want to get to 100% cap without trinket procs. You need 84% from gear to reach it (10% stance, 6% 2xT9 set bonus).

4) badge trinket is very weak, cant see your arms kit, so hard to recomend something else :-)

TheBigApe
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
dumb me...

well, changed to main spec and in arms gear but dunno how soon till armory pick up tho.

here's me at wow-heroes in the meantime... (http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Silvermoon&name=bigape)

Deathsupply
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
You really need to be expertise capped, ya don't hit, you do zero damage,very important for Arms since every GCD counts. The cap is 6.4%, which is 26 Expertise (6.5%) This is priority right under hit cap, at 263 (8.02%) Missing a MS, slam or Execute is costing you more dps than missing, then procing OP for your next attack and pushing MS a GCD down.

In the mean time, you will get plenty of OP procs from TfB, and should be able to use every single one, providing your Sudden Death proc's are not insane.

I see that you have A LOT of haste on your gear, there's MUCH better stats than haste to be used on your gear. All haste does is increase your white swing timers, which gives yuou more rage. You should have plenty of rage, so drop all the haste if you can. I roll with 0 haste rating.

I'd pickup the T9 Legs, as they have a good chunk of Expertise on them and will remove that haste from your legs.

Also if you have the Halloween ring, from Headless Horseman you should throw that on to replace the Carnivorous Band. It'll give you some hit, while allowing you to drop 2 hit rating gems for ArP gems and again getting rid if the haste. Then you can buy the Bloodshed band from EoT's too, and throw that on for some hit as well.

You can pickup the Boots of providence from H ToC 5m and throw an ArP gem in those for a net gain of ArP, and you remove the haste from your boots while gaining AP as well. That'll drop one hit rating gem for ya too.

When you happen to pickup a GT, throw that on to remove all your hit rating requirements with your hit gems, you might be able to drop your neck piece too, and grab the Agil one, it's got mass crit, and ArP on it. Also you might even be able to replace your Icewalker, with 32+ AP to boots. maybe lol.

Not sure how many EoT your pulling in per week, but I'd pickup the T9 Helm up and make yourself a Titaniumrazor Plate after you get the Legs and ring. It's a little better than the T9.5 chest b/c of the extra socket.

and that's it, my brain hurts :/

Deathsupply
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
ArP takes over str at about 30% passive ArP before Battle stance, then you start to gem ALL ArP. IT's all or nothing concerning ArP, the more you have, the better it gets point for points and SEP wise. Got so caught up in gearing, forgot to say that lol

Oh and FYI, GT/DMC:G is best combo until you can replace them with dual Death's Choice and be close to the ArP cap at 100% (84% passive with 2piece t9 and battle)

ent
11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
You really need to be expertise capped, ya don't hit, you do zero damage,very important for Arms since every GCD counts. The cap is 6.4%, which is 26 Expertise (6.5%) This is priority right under hit cap, at 263 (8.02%) Missing a MS, slam or Execute is costing you more dps than missing, then procing OP for your next attack and pushing MS a GCD down.
Sorry mister but you are wrong here. Expertise isnt as important for arms as you say, cause big chunk of our dmg cant be dodged (Overpower) and cause dmg lost by dodge can be partially recovered by Overpower, procced by that dodge. Overpower is almost guaranted crit too (+50% crit chance coming from talents). Also expertise cap depends on number of points put into Weapon Mastery:

WM 0/2 - 26
WM 1/2 - 22
WM 2/2 - 18

Bigape if you can get Trophies I would personally focus at getting enough badges for 4xT9.25. Dont break 2xT8 till you will be able to get at least 1 T9.25 piece (chest or head I mean :-)). Haste is bad stat for arms warrior also, but I wouldnt replace your pieces with haste on them. Also I just checked your arms spec - you are missing Improved Slam which is pretty much essential for arms DPS. All your free GCDs should be used for improved Slam.

TheBigApe
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks Ent and Deathsupply...

as Ent said, i have 2/2 WM and SoA and so my exp cap should be in the 18's...
and i'm noticing that even with lowered expertise, i'm normally hitting from behind so overpower procs more often and makes me happy... i'll try to bring it up a notch.. but for now, it's not a big concern at the moment.

Ent,

as for missing talent point into Imp Slam, i'm trying out the incite build and going more HS instead of slam atm... when i go back to the cookie cutter arms build, i'll be sure to put it in.

as for trophies, i'm saving my DKP to replace my weapons... sadly, i was out DKP'd on Justicebringer to a ret pally... dunno why... i hear its not the best for rets... but anywhoo...

well, i'll be sure to NOT get the badge trink.
i will stack my DKP and my badges to be able to buy 2xT9.25 i/o T9's...

thank you very much for your advice... it's much appreciated!

Deathsupply
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Sorry mister but you are wrong here. Expertise isnt as important for arms as you say, cause big chunk of our dmg cant be dodged (Overpower) and cause dmg lost by dodge can be partially recovered by Overpower, procced by that dodge. Overpower is almost guaranted crit too (+50% crit chance coming from talents). Also expertise cap depends on number of points put into Weapon Mastery:

WM 0/2 - 26
WM 1/2 - 22
WM 2/2 - 18

Bigape if you can get Trophies I would personally focus at getting enough badges for 4xT9.25. Dont break 2xT8 till you will be able to get at least 1 T9.25 piece (chest or head I mean :-)). Haste is bad stat for arms warrior also, but I wouldnt replace your pieces with haste on them. Also I just checked your arms spec - you are missing Improved Slam which is pretty much essential for arms DPS. All your free GCDs should be used for improved Slam.

Assuming 0/2 into WM also, I'm too lazy to argue your point with WMO and my own logs, so meh, do what you want. you can run the numbers yourself and see that by pushing and missing an attack, be it yellow, white, or anything inbetween, it will result in a dps loss. you are sacrificing a GCD for a hard hitting ability, if not your hardest hitting ability (MS, Execute mainly) for a *miss*--->*OP* combo. and yes the damage wll ***PARTIALLY*** be recovered from a miss, but not even close to not missing and still proccing OP.

TheBigApe
11-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Deathsupply, i appreciate your comments... i'll keep it in mind and give expertise a bit more attention the next time i raid and see how it does...

as i've mentioned, i have Victors Call that gives me a nice Expertise boost to my gear...

well, again, thank you very much.

ent
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Assuming 0/2 into WM also, I'm too lazy to argue your point with WMO and my own logs, so meh, do what you want. you can run the numbers yourself and see that by pushing and missing an attack, be it yellow, white, or anything inbetween, it will result in a dps loss. you are sacrificing a GCD for a hard hitting ability, if not your hardest hitting ability (MS, Execute mainly) for a *miss*--->*OP* combo. and yes the damage wll ***PARTIALLY*** be recovered from a miss, but not even close to not missing and still proccing OP.
Sorry but we really need to put border between dodge and miss. Miss is bad. Dodge isnt that bad. If you miss whole GCD is lost. If target dodges your attack you get a bonus OP, which can be used on next GCD, instead of Slam, Exec or MS. OP procs from dodges dont trigger CD on TfB procs, however if TfB proc is up and OP procs from dodge TfB is lost. Also missed attacks dont give rage, dodged do. There was math done on this subject on EJ, starting on this page (http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t37807-depth_arms_dps_discussion/p70/) of Arms topic.

Bigape, even in Incite spec, HS is not replacing Slam, you still need to Slam, HS is just an ability you use ontop of your normal GCD rotation.