PDA

View Full Version : Restarting tanking, need gear check and advice

Glaive
11-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi again,

Its been a little while since I last posted around here, with RL and all that getting in the way, I sorta drifted into the "parking lot" and stayed there for a while.

Since Im comng back, Ive started upgrading my gear with whatever I can get my hands on as a tank.

I know much the way to go these days is EH, but Im worried that by stacking EH im lowering my def.

The first question I guess would be is the def cap still at 540?, has it changed?.

Anyway... Ive managed to tank up bosses like freya, razorscale, and OT deconstructor in ulduar 10 man, and the latest hcs without much issue, in fact ToC 5 man HC is easy.

Id like it if possible, to get a gear check by the all knowings.. see how am I progressing and especially some ideas of replacement items to some of my gear that will improve my tanking ability without the loss of any important stats such as avoidance, def, and expertise ( if expertise is all that important these days ).

Here is the armory link:

Glaive's Armory.

Thanks in advance for all your help :D

Griff
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
The defense cap is 540 vs. Raid Bossen and 535 against heroics bosses (lvl 82).

As for your gear and build - there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that your talents and glyphs are in pretty good shape. You might want to drop your arms spec and pick up a mitigation/survival build with improved disciplines and glyphed survival cooldowns but your primary build is fine.

The bad news is that you've got some gearing issues.

Some things to change:

Change your meta to the austere earthsiege diamond (+stam/%2 armor value)

Throw a the defense enchant on your chest to make up for the loss in defense from the meta.

change all of your gems to solid zircons instead of hybrids, especially the defense gems - you should be okay for defense.

Get blood draining or accuracy for your weapon

Get a new trinket for Lavanthor's talisman. Run Naxx 10 for the defense trinket or invest in a Darkmoon Card Greatness: Agility or Strength (The agility version will give you about a static 1% dodge, boost your crit and proc strength for threat)

Also, consider spending some badges on a Platinum Mesh Cloak

Glaive
11-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Hum.. I see.

One more question tough...

I know it may sound silly but I cant find out exactly how many hps each +30 sta gem would generate.

Ive been told, and read in a few spots that since EH is the way to go, 37k unbuffed or better is the ideal tank health.

Thus replacing some if not all of my hybrid gems with +30 sta ones, will it get me there or will I need much better gear?.

I ask this because my raid leaders are somewhat reluctant sometimes to let me tank, and will put me to dps as arms taking instead other tanks with more health.

Griff
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
For tanking ToC or ToGC, I'd only chase socket bonuses with a +12 stam bonus and apart from a hybrid for meta activation, straight stam is a solid choice. EH is the order of the day in ToC, primarily because the first boss in heroic hits very hard and leaves you with a bleed effect that also hits very hard and there's not much to do about it other than provide as much of a margin for your poor, beleaguered healers as you can.

You will derive 10 points of health for each point of stam so those +30 stam gems are 300 health a pop.

I'd ditch that lvl 70 stam trinket - the one from heroic AN is better. Also, skinning is not a good profession for a raid tank. Consider switching it to blacksmith or JC for the health bonuses they provide.