PDA

View Full Version : Expertise, need help raising it

defence
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
After reading the guide in regards to expertise, I found out I was way below the expertise soft cap. As a result, I changed nearly all my blues to purples, and some normal reds (because for some reason I can't transmutate red). Right now it's currently 22. Right now I'm relying on the alchemy exilir of expertise, but that can be expensive, making it over and over again.

I'm currently planning on replacing one of the reds for another purple for the dodge bonus, and exchange the one on my weapon for either a rare or epic expertise gem, both of which give more than the current+bonus, and I'm already hit capped

Any ideas on how to give myself more expertise? Here is my link to wowarmory for my current tank

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Winterhoof&n=Defense)

P.S.

I deeply apologize if this was the wrong forum to post it. I assume expertise is sort of like dps

Kazeyonoma
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Moved to HALP.

Viridios
11-12-2009, 12:31 PM
After reading the guide in regards to expertise, I found out I was way below the expertise soft cap. As a result, I changed nearly all my blues to purples, and some normal reds (because for some reason I can't transmutate red). Right now it's currently 22. Right now I'm relying on the alchemy exilir of expertise, but that can be expensive, making it over and over again.

I'm currently planning on replacing one of the reds for another purple for the dodge bonus, and exchange the one on my weapon for either a rare or epic expertise gem, both of which give more than the current+bonus, and I'm already hit capped

Any ideas on how to give myself more expertise? Here is my link to wowarmory for my current tank

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Winterhoof&n=Defense)

P.S.

I deeply apologize if this was the wrong forum to post it. I assume expertise is sort of like dps

I'm not sure about the warrior-specific parts, but if you are an alchemist you need to pick up the quest to transmute 5 other gems so you can learn transmute cardinal ruby.

Berune
11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Looks like you *might* be in your pvp or daily/grinding setup (dual-wielding axes?) on the armory right now...so if you have my suggestions covered in your other set - all good.

- Consider eating Rhinolicious Wormsteak, it has +expertise and +stam.

- Expertise enchant is available for both bracers and gloves

- You could probably give up a small amount of hit for more expertise (consider the +expertise/+stam gem, vs. gemming for hit).

- Depending on what content is available to you and your guild, if you can get Auriya down in 10-man (normal) ulduar, she drops a really nice shield that has +expertise on it as well.

- One thing I do when I know I need the extra expertise - look into the tier 7.5 tank gloves; they have +expertise on them, plus I think a red(?) socket you could fit the +expertise/+stam gem in well.

If you try some of those ideas, you might get to a point where you could use a flask instead of the +expertise elixir. As an alchemist, the flask of stoneblood works out to a very nice boost in health, and lasts us a whopping 2 hours...definitely a good one to get in there if you can.

I am currently in a similar position with my tank set - having a hard time maintaining as much expertise as I feel I should as well. I use the rhino steak...but have a hard time giving up my threat enchant on gloves, or +40 stam on bracers...

defence
11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Haha, yeah, I'm in my alternative spec...that now I need to fix :-/.

I've been gemming with the purple gem that you say. I currently replaced all my orange (except for a socket bonus) and my blues.

Won't the threat enchant be the same with expertise or the threat? I mean, the threat is more direct, yes, but expertise is a threat building stat as well. It won't be replacing much. I just want to be in the soft cap, so, although it hurts to lose the stamina, if the mobs break away from me and kills my healer, the stamina is for naught

Omok
11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I can't really comment on your gear, as you logged out in a DPS set with a protection build. I would say expertise is one of the easier stats to get in this tier of progression, with hit being the one that is a pain to get. I have the tier shoulders, Hauberk of the Towering Monstrosity, and Pride of the Demon Lord. Those three items alone put me at 31 expertise, which is above the soft cap. Just find a couple good pieces like that and you should be fine, even if you have to drop back to Ulduar gear.

defence
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
However (I'm in school right now, so I can't change gears) nearly all my gear is heroic; with the exception of a 241 gearscore ring, everything else in my inventory is 200-215.

I dunno about hit being the hardest. I'm currently trying to *get rid* of my hit and get it to my base minimum to replace it with expertise lol. I just started doing 10 man, and I always have to put in my exilir of expertise to stay 28+ expertise (above the dodge cap).

Thanks for the help though

Omok
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
However (I'm in school right now, so I can't change gears) nearly all my gear is heroic; with the exception of a 241 gearscore ring, everything else in my inventory is 200-215.

I dunno about hit being the hardest. I'm currently trying to *get rid* of my hit and get it to my base minimum to replace it with expertise lol. I just started doing 10 man, and I always have to put in my exilir of expertise to stay 28+ expertise (above the dodge cap).

Thanks for the help though

Hit was very prevalent in Ulduar, you will see that change very quickly in ToC though.