PDA

View Full Version : Hit/Exp and tanking in totc/totgc

Hatetank
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
need advice on hit and expertise caps for totc/gc content as a prot warrior. should i continue to keep them capped or close to it? or stack more stam? our guild is currently tryin to get 10 man heroic done, and id like to make sure im geared/gemmed/ stated properly The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Hatetank)

Athenodorus
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't gem for hit. If you are on a fight where Taunt performance is crucial, socket the Taunt glyph. Otherwise, +hit is really not that important and wastes a lot of itemization you could be using for survivability, especially in hard modes. Also your expertise is almost to the parry cap, which is much more than good enough.

SixStringsXD
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Getting to at LEAST 26 expertise is crucial. I have around 38 expertise on my warrior but my hit is only about 4%, it's not as important.

Hit you can let slide, expertise you can't.

Edit: Also drop that dodge trinket for a stam trinket.

Fledern
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I tank togc10 with around 185 hitrating and no draenei in my party and i've rarely missed a taunt. I try to keep my expertise at around 18ish, lower and it starts to hurt, higher, always good but i start looking for straight stam alternatives (hard to escape tons of expertise on CC but still, you have way too much). I'd start by taking a good look at your rings first, your neck next. There are much better alternatives that have no expertise but more avoidance & stamina.

Stamina is so ridiculously more important than any other stat in ToGC that you really should drop those hit gems. I have 2 hit/stam gems in my gear for normal tanking but then i have pure stam alternatives to both. Until you're swimming in gear, dont ever gem for hit

Griff
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
With ToC and ToGC gear, you can't help but have a surfeit of expertise..hit rating will be the tricky bit. Drag hit food with you, consider carefully how to integrate the pieces of gear that do have hit rating into your kit and keep a stack of sunder, devestate and taunt glyphs in your bag (I always throw a taunt glyph on for heroic beasts)

Hatetank
11-13-2009, 08:03 AM
i have plenty of gear to swap out, thats why ive asked the question about hit and exp. i have some Uld rings with more avoidance, and would like to use them in my gear. it was just strongly suggested to get that hit and exp up in my build, so i did what i thought i needed to do. so it seems like my hit is less important now in totgc and even my exp could stand some nerfing. i left my armory the way i tank, but ill change to a different build soon to get an opinion on the new build as well. thanks guys The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Hatetank)

Mert
11-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Why were you advised to get both higher? Unless you're threat-capping your DPS on non-gimmick fights, what's the issue? Hit makes your TPS more consistent more than anything and Expertise prevents you parryhasting the boss as well as giving you more threat. I'm not sure I'd gem or enchant for either really unless I began having threat problems.

Hatetank
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM
my hit was WAY low when i was told to start getting my hit up. then another told me to keep expertise over 26 and that expertise is twice as important than hit. so im just trying to refine my build and have the best build for totgc

Daishan12
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I have like 45 hit rating in my current set up! TBH i'd like a bit more but in the end it never gives me any issues! Glyph of taunt for when taunt is needed and away you go! Only time i every have an issue is on untargetable bosses that suddenly pop up (eg Lord J after his intro) If my first SS misses UHOH! but as long as you're fast it's fine!

Basically, I agree with the above posters! ditch all the hit gems, use exp/stam gems in red sockets if you're below the soft cap. Otherwise gogo survivability gemming. You're a tank, not a dpser :P

Hatetank
11-13-2009, 08:33 AM
lol...i know im not a dpser, but....we get a lot of opinions on these forums. then we take all the info we get and try to do out best with it. i dont have many issues anymore, im just lookin to keep it tight. i would like to see myself have more stam, as it seems people dont want to use a tank with less than 40k now. but avoidance is worth stam as well, and id rather have better gear and a little less stam then some knukle head who just stacks stam in junk gear and gets the spot for a raid.

Athenodorus
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a PUG-lure stamina gear set. No lie. Then I swap to real tanking gear.

Dirkloogie
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I have a PUG-lure stamina gear set. No lie. Then I swap to real tanking gear.

ROFL ^ true I have stam "pug invite" gear and Gear Score invite gear then I put on the real stuff :)