PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing returns

Zara
11-11-2009, 02:44 AM
I know that for Defense it's 540 before diminishing returns. Does anyone have the numbers for Dodge, Parry, Expertise, and Hit? I'm still trying to figure out how to gem my gear, it's getting late, and the math is starting to get to me lol. So your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Zarä

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Zar%C3%A4)

Varya
11-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Diminishing returns is always there on dodge, parry, and miss chance. There's not a point where it suddenly kicks in, it just gets more severe the more of an avoidance stat you have. There is no diminishing returns on Expertise and Hit rating though, you'll always get the same benefit from those until they are capped.

ghromorth
11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
em if you want numbers for "good" at those stats here they are:

Def: 540
Parry+Dodge > 52%
Hit: 261
Expertise: 21 (soft) 31 (cap)

Varya
11-11-2009, 08:12 AM
em if you want numbers for "good" at those stats here they are:

Def: 540
Parry+Dodge > 52%
Hit: 261
Expertise: 21 (soft) 31 (cap)

Where did you get those expertise numbers from? The soft cap for expertise is 26; this will completely negate dodges. To completely negate parries you'll need a lot more, ~56 expertise though I'm unsure of the exact number. 26 is all that is needed though.

You also shouldn't aim for an exact avoidance number. Get what avoidance you can on your gear, sure, but you shouldn't gem for avoidance. Instead gem for stamina primarily, while using defense/expertise/hit rating hybrid gems if you still need to get the relevant caps.

ghromorth
11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Where did you get those expertise numbers from? The soft cap for expertise is 26; this will completely negate dodges. To completely negate parries you'll need a lot more, ~56 expertise though I'm unsure of the exact number. 26 is all that is needed though.

Deathknoghts have a talent to increase their usual expertise so:
21+5(talent)= ?

the 31 one thing its because is almost no parry.

felhoof
11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
the 31 one thing its because is almost no parry.Experimentally, you're wrong. Bosses appear to have about a 14% chance of parry. This can be adjusted up and down, but that's typical.

Zara
11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks so much =)
I was wondering where the cap was. I'm trying to achieve a good balance between avoidance and Stamina, and it's been hard to fun the numbers to strive for. Thanks again for your advice =)

Zara
11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I also noticed that I had the melee hit cap, but to get it for Spell (Icy Touch, etc.) I have to go over the melee hit cap. Do any of you actually go over the melee cap? Is it worth it to get hit to say 10%, then count on a Boomkin or Shadow priest for (Fairie Fire/Misery) to add more to spell hit?