PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Ndow
11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Hello All, Ok I'm not that new to tanking ive just not done any since 60 was max lvl.. been playing a mage but the server always seems to lack tanks.. So I worked mine up to 80 and have been running constant Hero's and have gotten better but i want to feal more confident in my tanking..

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zangarmarsh&n=Ndow)

heres my armory if anyone cares to look at it and see where i could improve.. im working on upgrades and i have the general idea of what i need.. but the drop rate for what i need is slow.. ive been reading different posts and have gotten some ideas on what i can do but still.. also i use Snapper Extreme for the hit rating...

currently im using Macro's for tanking that a really good tank on my server hooked me up with.. atleast till im more confident about my skills...

Lastly... can anyone confirm for me the following info... i know its here on the site somewhere but i dont do well with tryng to read through all the techno/theory and i loose my mind..

Def Cap = 540
Hit Cap = 225 not including food buff
then stack Stamina...

This is what i was told by a tank on my server... idk if its right or not... tryng to find solid info.. any help would be great..

Aggathon
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Def cap is 540
Hit cap is actually 264 iirc correctly (8%, 264 is in the ballpark, it might be 263), but tbh you don't really need to worry about hit. You should worry about expertise to an extent, but it also kind of depends on what content you're tanking.

If you're tanking easily survivable content like 10 man normals and 5 man heroics, then sure, gem for threat (exp/hit), but otherwise if you are going into something that is progression, I'd strongly suggest stam.

For spec:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:dcrMmo) <= something like that will do you wonders.

Also: level up another profession. Jewelcrafting goes well with mining, so does blacksmithing and engineering. Basically JC gives you 3 +51 stam gems (so 21 stam more per gem so an extra 63 stam), Blacksmithing will give you 2 extra sockets for an extra 60 stam, and engineering will get you the armor to gloves enchant (885 armor) which is 645 more than the normal armor to gloves enchant.

Hope this helps, toodles!

krc
11-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Don't worry about the hit cap, you will rarely have problems on any bosses without being hit capped, while being over 540 defense for current content just stack EH because of the fact that anything that has a threat to kill you is unavoidably leaving EH king.

For you gemming and enchanting if you can stay over 540 defense these are all enchants you should get: 30 stamina and 15 resilience, I'm not quite sure you should probably check but the resilience should keep you at uncrittable. For you cloak 225 armor, Chest 275 health, weapon Blood Draining or Mongoose, hands 240 armor, and legs 55 stamina 25 agility although these are all assuming you stay over 540 defense. Also for your gemming try to just gem for stamina while staying over 540 defense.

For your spec the first thing I would do is get rid of Puncture and Glyph of Revenge while getting Improved Disciplines and Glyph of Shield Wall, the talent and glyph you will be getting rid of only saves rage which is only useful in heroics which you are trading out for Improved Disciplines and Glyph of Shield Wall which add survivability. I would also get Deep Wounds by dropping Cruelty, Improved Revenge and 1 point out of Focused Rage, the threat and damage you will gain from Deep Wounds will surpass that you get from the talents you would be dropping.

Martie
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Lastly... can anyone confirm for me the following info... i know its here on the site somewhere but i dont do well with tryng to read through all the techno/theory and i loose my mind..

Def Cap = 540
Hit Cap = 225 not including food buff
then stack Stamina...

This is what i was told by a tank on my server... idk if its right or not... tryng to find solid info.. any help would be great..
There is no def cap. More is always better.
The most important effect of def is making you immune to critical strikes from the big bad mobs you tank. To achieve that, you need 540 defense for boss mobs, 435 for level 82 mobs (ie heroics.)
Those two numbers are a minimum - you need that much or more to tank the mobs.

The hit cap is not required for tanking - you shouldn't ignore hit, but don't fuss if you are a little low. There are two caps, a melee one at 8% and a spell one at 17%. Some things tanks do count as spells.

Don't ignore expertise - you would like to have it at at least 26 skill - this is the dodge cap (also known as the 'soft cap'), at this point bosses won't be dodging you anymore. You can go higher then that, there's a parry(or hard) cap for expertise as well, it's quite high, but more expertise then 26 is not a bad thing.

Note that when people talk about caps, they are always talking about a cap versus a boss mobs - anything nonboss has different minimums and maximums for usefull stats.

Stacking stamina is never a bad thing, but feel free to get some agility/stam gems in those red slots if a single purple gem nets you a +9 stamina bonus.