PDA

View Full Version : Guild: Stay or Go

Joowa
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Well I have a guild. Have been with it for a while, and some of the people are rather nice. Its a small guild and we all know each other. Most have 3/4 toons that are if not level 80 close to it and several of them do raids...

The problem you say?

We don't raid as a guild. If I want even a 10 man raid I have to look outside of it. I have yet to finish a NE raid. I rather like some of the folks there.

But I have some rather nice gear. Have studied tanking. Can do any heroic (Ok ok so I still struggle in that one place in Ut. Pen.) but this is it. I have leveled out. What is the point of having all the reputation, gemming things and putting on enchants?

I have scheduled events (I am an officer) but no one shows for them. They are to early, or to late, or need to be on the weekend or not (because people have RL plans). I have recruited people that leave soon after to find guilds that raids.

The grass is looking really green on the other side of the instance...

Advice? I have only been ever in one guild.

Bovinity
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
That's pretty much the time to start looking outside at greener pastures.

Usually I'd say to just try to stick it out but it sounds like you've tried to drum up interest and people just aren't responding. So there's no point in you sitting around and doing nothing just because they want to.

I recently had a similar situation with some friends that were regulars in my pug groups. But unfortunately they...well, they just weren't that good. And they didn't seem interested in getting any better. Week after week we just pounded our heads against the wall in ToGC 10, one week we even *RAN OUT OF ATTEMPTS* for the week on Twins.

I finally just had to move on and let them know that I had to do something differently. Next week I got a new pug together with some new folks and voila, we get Tribute to Mad Skill. (Hey you, that moonkin that ran right into spikes and wasted that one attempt? Screw you, sir. ><)

felhoof
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
A lot of times, you can join as a small group into another guild. If there's like 3-5 people interested in raiding, you can ask whether or not they'd follow you into a guild and want to raid with you. It can help.

You can always just create a random chat channel and talk that way. It's not like you need a guild to do that.

Joowa
11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Any other input?

Liongale
11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Before you leave, find a new home first. Though your current guild doesn't sound like much of a home right now anyway, do take a look and see who will take you.

Griff
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
If you like the folks in the guild, you could always let people know what you're thinking about doing. Tell them why you are considering the change but make sure to offer them an option.

Yes, they might just go off the deep end and gkick you for your "disloyalty" but then you'll be free to search for a new guild. Conversely, it might get people to think about what they want out of the game and get people to commit a bit more to raiding.

Theotherone
11-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe, put an alt in your present guild to stay in touch and take your main toon you want to raid on to another guild. Explain what you're doing and why, and they should be understanding.

I split my toons between guilds: Theotherone is in a small guild that does 10 mans and Wharfrat is in a larger guild that does 25s. And then there's the guild of 2 people my son started that I have a toon in that's become my AH mule....but we have 4 bank tabs.

Risky
11-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Recruit more people interested in raiding?

Seems like a win/win.

Blue
11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm in a very similar situation. Seen some very good players in our guild, and most of them move on. A couple of them have alts still in the guild. Ours is just lacking that one or two people that can somehow get people together to raid. We've tried splitting into two ten-man groups, because of the differences in time zones. Didn't work...most we've ever been able to do is a couple of OS runs, and one 25-man Naxx, that only got through Arachnid quarter.

I think you should go to your fellow officers, and tell them what you want to do. I know I really appreciate hearing why, when someone leaves our guild, especially if I've spent time playing with them, and they are enjoyable to be around. Be sure to ask them if you can maybe come back, if it doesn't work out...I know that has happened, too, a couple of times, with people getting all excited to run with a "raiding guild", and finding out that it wasn't what they expected.

And, should you decide to move on...please, keep in touch with those you've shared good times...do some dailies with 'em, or badge runs, or something, once in a while.
It's not like you need to leave on bad terms, ya know?

I think there's just these different kinds of guilds...nothing wrong with it...mine is the kind that will help people level, run five-man's, and the occasional sister guild raid, or whatever. The trade-off seems to be that we're just a little too laid back, for those who wish to "progress" into raiding.

As for me...I don't think I'll be moving, at least for a while, yet. The pastures may look green, but that's not my favorite color, anyway! Besides, I'm still undecided just what class I'd want to raid with...and, having fun leveling alts, and becoming a pvp killing machine shadow priest (battlegrounds, no arena)... ;>)

Fayre
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
You need a critical mass of people who want to do things. If there aren't enough you have two options - to recruit those people, or to find a home where that critical mass is already there.

It's never an easy decision, and it's not one we can take for you.

Joowa
11-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the input.