PDA

View Full Version : Warrior tanking 4+ mobs

woodyman
11-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Ok so here is a little issue i have always had when tanking and never really come up with a solid solution too.

When tanking say 5 mobs 3 melee 2 spellcaster
ill go in thunder clap, then shockwave to stun as many as possible
then i gotta work thru my rotation on each 1
inevitably by the time i have done this one of the mobs has changed target

so i taunt him back
in which time another goes
an so on till i end up chasing my tail an building less an less threat
like a big vicous circle

any tips greatly recieved

The Armored Rock
11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Woody,

Try not doing your whole rotation on each mob, that seems like a bit too much time to take on each one. Open like you have been with TC, then shockwave, be sure to back up a step to catch as many as poss. After that I usually cleave/tab/cleave, then as soon as TC is off cooldown keep doing that. Use TC and Shockwave each time it is up, but keep tabbing between targets and cleaving. I dont even use the cleave Glyph and usually hold 4-5 easy. Watch your dps people though, make sure they let you get established before they go nutz. Most of the time, that is the aggro problems is over-excited dps trying to lead the charts as opposed to playing the right way.

GL and I hope this help, its just my experience.

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
AOE tanking is troublesome for warriors. Try to cap yourlsef expertise wise, which greatly helps "hitting" mobs.

Passive threat is of great help to you as well, damage shield is your friend. Pop your shield block along with any "block increasing" trinket you could have. This will greatly increase your shield slam and damage shield damage.

Have glyph of cleaving will help as well. Hitting 3 targets helps a lot ;)

Keep in mind that magical abilities used by casters will not "proc" damage shield, as such your thread against those will be minimized whatever you do. you can charge them, shield bash them (fully talented it silence) getting them to melee you.

Thunderclap is your best friend though, combined with cleave of course. Cleave is a little tricky (as far as I can remember) so you might want to move a bit to have it "change" "nearest target"...

Spell reflect, although more situational, could help you getting more threat from certain casters.

Appart from that, spam devastate with a glyph of sunder armor (the one that sunders an additional target).

That's the best you can do, it's my understanding (and personnal belief, although I don't play the other tank classes) that warrior AOE threat isn't the best.

Your DPS should assist more and AOE less... yes, they loose all those big numbers... how sad...

Get them to down first casters, as you can tank them the regular way (and hopefully hold them against DPS) while less threat is needed on melee mobs... that's because melee will build up threat against you because of your passive abilities (damage shield).

AOE is not really the way to go, it ain't naxxramas anymore ^^

PS : vigilance AND intervene on the most moronic AOE DPS should help ;) use glyph of vigilance if you need threat so badly. Make sure rogues and hunters actually use their respective tricks to send you their aggro ;)

drae
11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
When Thunderclap is on cooldown weave in your other single attacks as per your normal rotation, I find tab to be an inefficient way to select mobs, I much prefer having nameplates on (default V key) and clicking them. For claritysake lets assume Tab just means "switch targets"

TC, Shockwave, Tab-shieldslam, Tab-devastate, tab-devastate, TC, tab devastate, tab-shieldslam.

Since shield block and cleave are off the GCD, spam Cleave as rage permits and pop shield block when shockwave wears off. Use heroic throw to pull casters to you.

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah : don't shield block then shockwave, otherwise mobs won't hit you (and won't proc damage shield).

Having deep wounds spec helps too with aoe ;)

Roana
11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I generally just use Shockwave, Thunder Clap, and (glyphed) Cleave for multi-mob aggro, with (glyphed) Vigilance on the most aggressive AEer (often, but not always, a mage), strafing a bit left and right so that successive Cleaves will hit different mobs. That is generally sufficient without even having to switch targets (as long as people don't randomly attack what they want).

woodyman
11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
cool thanks for all the info people....ive not really been using cleave so i think this maybe where i have been going wrong!
now i feel silly lol

Reev
11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Honestly Woody, I almost never use cleave in heroics and I do fine. Don't get me wrong. You'll get more dps and threat with it, and you should use it, but it isn't a "must do" to hold aggro.

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
The silly part would be not asking I think.

HS is a bit deceiving cause tooltip says it generates a wholabunch aggro. Cleave does pretty much the same, and a good amount of damage.

Glyphing for it is a must have if you are not confident enough with your threat (I wasn't so I kept the glyph).

The only flaw in this approach, is that it cost you important glyphes "survival wise"...

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Honestly Woody, I almost never use cleave in heroics and I do fine. Don't get me wrong. You'll get more dps and threat with it, and you should use it, but it isn't a "must do" to hold aggro.
Depends on your DPSers too... I guess ^^

Stacking expertise and block on a dedicated "AOE threat set" is also a possibility ;)

elvendragoon
11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
charge in, TClap and use spell reflect and let the 2 casters cast something and then use shockwave after their casts are reflected.....also kill the casters 1st since the melee mobs will follow u easily....keep TClapping and cleaving....shield slam and revenge your main target... i always mark a skull so that by the time that mob is dead its pretty ez to keep the mobs off of the dps

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
I think he might get his DPS to focus a target BEFORE poping trinkets, power infusion and other funny cooldowns of the death.

Let the crazy AOE mage dying a few times, sometimes it gets them to learn how to DPS properly :D

woodyman
11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
DPS in my guild are very gun ho they dont really understand why they should wait lol
also i think i have made my own problems a little by stacking dodge so much an ignoring a lot of other stuff
im literally luck to get 2 tc's in b4 ive lost one of the mobs
but there is a lot of things here to try so im hoping i can get back into it cos i love tanking! :)

bait
11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Your shoot or throw has a small casting time. I will sometimes target the second caster or last person i think i will get to with it and while it "casts" you have time to target your skull and be ready to charge it soon as it goes off. And don't forget all your pasive threat. Even if you start with full rage after charging your bloodrage will build a little aoe threat also.

Herlock
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
As well as demo shout ;)

For trashs, you can go with an expertise / block armor set, bosses are where you need avoidance. Trashes are... well trash ^^

kevinb70
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
when i was actively playing, i used omen to show how much threat on each mob i had as i tab targeted. if you tab to a target where u have lots of threat, tab again and dont waste your GCD.

if you have to, you can completely neglect one mob and use taunt on that one when he runs away.