PDA

View Full Version : Dk tank taking a beating

GrimReaper
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's my build

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ysera&n=Grimsknight)

Hi all,
I think my gear is pretty good. I've got the rotation down, but everyone complains that I take alot of damage. Is my dodge and parry to low? Should I replace my red +str gems with +dodge gems? Or is it just healers whining?

Thanks in advance..

Ciruss
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi all,
I think my gear is pretty good. I've got the rotation down, but everyone complains that I take alot of damage. Is my dodge and parry to low? Should I replace my red +str gems with +dodge gems? Or is it just healers whining?

Thanks in advance..What are you running right now? ToC 25? If you are you should be fine. I don't tank on a DK but alot of parry can be bad since once you parry the boss attack swing resets then hits you directly right after. That could be the reason. Need to know what your running or is it just in general? Yet, DK's are meant to take alot of dmg considering all of there CD's that reduce there damage.

GrimReaper
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I've been running 10 ulduar and 10/25 VOA, OS, Ony.

Ciruss
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I've been running 10 ulduar and 10/25 VOA, OS, Ony.Not sure why your taking a heavy beating then. Do you seem to parry allot when your tanking?

GrimReaper
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Not that I notice. I'll have to check for that. Is my dodge low, should I replace my red gems with +dodge?

Xzanthos
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
You could gain a bunch of hit points by switching to 30 stamina gems (not sure what your gold situation is like). Also, don't socket for str. If you're matching sockets at all and need red gems, gem exp/sta or dodge/sta. You could afford to gain expertise, switch your str gems and your 10 to all stats gems with dodge/expertise (Guardian's Dreadstone/Twilight opal) Once you meet requisite expertise (26) you can either ignore the socket bonus and go straight sta for highest EH or balance it a bit more and go dodge/sta.

I'd also switch the 10 to all stats enchant on your BP to 275 health, and put a 125 armor enchant on your cloak.

I know you may not be looking for additional critique, but you could benefit from switching out your glyphs of Death and Decay an Deathgrip to either Frost Strike, Obliterate or Howling Blast.

Also your spec could use a little bit of work, I guess if your guild is working on Ony and you're having trouble with the fears, Lichborne could be worth it, but all around it's not a great tanking talent. You might consider looking at a spec like this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EGZhxx0AbIof0buzAo0x:TawM0m)

Hope this helps :]

Nephelai
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
First off, your parries do not reset the bosses swing timer, the bosses parries reset the bosses swing timer, so ignore that tidbit above.

Second, strength gemming is not a priority, Agil/stam, dodge/stam, and expertise/stam are all acceptable if you wish to pick up a red socket bonus. Skipping socket bonuses for pure stam is also acceptable. If you are threat starved expertise is a better stat point for point then strength. Don't socket pure red or yellow accept under extreme circumstances (like keeping 540 defense in resistance gear). I like balanced stat gemming, but stam is your number one priority.

Don't, however, loose the +10 stats for the tiny health chant.

sillypuddy
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
do NOT gem for strength

GrimReaper
11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
You could gain a bunch of hit points by switching to 30 stamina gems (not sure what your gold situation is like). Also, don't socket for str. If you're matching sockets at all and need red gems, gem exp/sta or dodge/sta. You could afford to gain expertise, switch your str gems and your 10 to all stats gems with dodge/expertise (Guardian's Dreadstone/Twilight opal) Once you meet requisite expertise (26) you can either ignore the socket bonus and go straight sta for highest EH or balance it a bit more and go dodge/sta.

I'd also switch the 10 to all stats enchant on your BP to 275 health, and put a 125 armor enchant on your cloak.

I know you may not be looking for additional critique, but you could benefit from switching out your glyphs of Death and Decay an Deathgrip to either Frost Strike, Obliterate or Howling Blast.

Also your spec could use a little bit of work, I guess if your guild is working on Ony and you're having trouble with the fears, Lichborne could be worth it, but all around it's not a great tanking talent. You might consider looking at a spec like this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EGZhxx0AbIof0buzAo0x:TawM0m)

Hope this helps :]

Thanks. I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

Anyone know what a good percentage of Dodge & Parry should be for 10/25 man raiding?

Wilhem
11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm currently sitting at (Taken from anothe post of mine):

37.1K Health (35.2K with Furnace Stone trinket instead of Brewfest Trinket).
28.92 Dodge.
19.58 Parry (Dodge and Parry are with HoW up).

And I just do 10 man ToC's but am more than able to tank 25 ToC's.

Zahia
11-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't tank on a DK but alot of parry can be bad since once you parry the boss attack swing resets then hits you directly right after.

It doesn't work that way.
If the boss parry, his attack swing resets.
If YOU parry, YOUR attack swing resets.