PDA

View Full Version : Tanking problem

Kenny_mis
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I got a question about what is wrong with my stats.

i should be able to tank but it seems healers just can't keep me up cause i'm still getting hit by a truck.

Armory link:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kazzak&n=Varkesh)

Could use the advice. Kinda getting desperate here.

Greetz,
Thx in advance.

vine
11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
What instances? What bosses?

Kenny_mis
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
ToC 5 is mainly the problem. But i tried some other runs where healers also said i was getting hit to hard

jafager
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
ToC 5 is mainly the problem. But i tried some other runs where healers also said i was getting hit to hard

Not even close. There are a lot of bad healers out there that think they are perfectly awesome because they have been healing overgeared tanks in easy heroics. Then they go into ToC and H ToC and that delusion gets taken out behind the woodshed, and they don't know how to handle it, so they blame the tank.

You have over 50% avoidance, plenty of stamina, plenty of armor, and enough expertise that you're in no danger of getting gibbed. As long as you have Frost Presence up and you keep them in front of you, and you're not standing in the poison pools, etc. you should be fine.

Athenodorus
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
You are extremely well-geared for heroics. You are even better geared than required for ToC5. Unless you've bound "sit" to your primary threat abilities, you aren't getting hit too hard: they are not dealing with the incoming damage properly.

Consider Phase 1 of the Black Knight, for instance. Those diseases hurt. Yet many healers (and DPS who have a disease cure) will ignore them and happily let you take it in the face.

Kenny_mis
11-10-2009, 03:47 AM
so its not realy my fault, healers just need to focus more?

swelt
11-10-2009, 05:26 AM
It's perhaps not the fault of your *gear* (your armory page currently has you in dps gear), that doesn't mean it can't still be your mistakes that are making you take more damage.
- Are you 'standing in fire'?
- Are you making good use of your defensive cooldowns?
- Are you keeping the mobs in front of you (i.e. not turning your back on them)?
- Are you responding to any special moves they do?

Except
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
yeah breh all your stats are fine(d is 1 under cap for raids, still fine in heroics though) dodge and parry are well over par for heroics, and with that added expertise you wont be getting parried..
yeah its just like they said people are used to healing extremely over-geared tanks just out there to do there H daily for badges or ones helping friends/ guildies out.

just keep it up meng your a smart player based on your stats, your doing fine.

Hakimlos
11-10-2009, 06:39 AM
i agree with the what someone else said there are alot of healers who are use to healing tanks in full t9 gear and in easy heroics. I have a resto shaman so i understand the problems in some heroics and raids. on the other hand there are alot of tanks in good gear and hp that also do not so smart things too. like stay in poison cloads or fire and anyother aoe. thinking or hoping the healer can keep up with the dmg being done to the tank and the rest of the group.

woodyman
11-10-2009, 06:40 AM
I find toc5 hc you always take a battering if the healer isnt really on the ball
i once got told to "stand still"
i was like "so you want me to stand in the green rings of death!"
i wouldnt mind but at about 40-50G repair for full epic plate it gets a little annoying

PatrikL
11-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Everyone gets hit like a truck in ToC HC, Sure its not like one of the harder hitting raid bosses but its far harder than any other HC and like someone else said some healers today are used to only running with over geared tanks. Both the 3 champion fight, the confessor and the last phase of the black knight can be tough to heal if one is used only to easier heroics. With some healers I cant see I'm loosing much health at all and with some I am constantly below 50% and afraid of dying any second. Just make sure you use you CDs, isnt standing in poison/other things on the ground and are holding on to all enemies and the rest is up to the healer. One thing that I have seen gone wrong for some tanks in the 3 champions fight and the confessor is that the tank misses to hold onto the ranged mob. Somtimes they move just out of range of your AoE attacks and start attacking the healer instead, preventing them from focusing on you.

I guess I am just repeating what other ppl have said already but your stats are definately not the problem in there. I have seen plenty of tanks of other classes go down like a rock in there also, it isnt a DK problem.

Kenny_mis
11-17-2009, 07:04 AM
ok guys thx for all the awnsers, this has givven me some courage again to tank from time to time again.

Greetz

Icarusexile
11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Your not alone. If I had 1 gold for every person that has told me im a rubbish tank in TOC 5 man heroic I'd be a very rich warrior. I do everything right or at least I think I do I don't stand in green rings of death take healer out first etc. But the problem I find is the healers themselfs are not on there game at all, so what happens "Its the tank we got a paper tank the tanks rubbish" etc. Rather then admiting they aren't as good as they think they are. It takes a lot of hard work to be a good tank and you got to have eyes in the back of your head. The group is relaying on you to take there argo for them. Anyone can be a DPSER. I'm sure most of the guys on here will agree with me. I find that when your in a good group tanking is very rewarding and ultimately always fun. At the end of it all WOW is just a game that we all enjoy playing.

Ltseb
11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
now im a pretty well geared tank, and i've been in a ToC 5 where the healer was better geared than me, but we still kept wiping over n over n over on the 3 champs and he was blaming me. We wiped more times on this one run than all the other times i've done ToC put together i think, or was atleast close lol, i've dun ToC 5 sooooooo many times i can't even begin to think of a number that comes close lol so i'd like to think i know what im doing in there, all this healer was doing was the same shitty little heal again and again, cant remember which one it was but it was like a purple beam or some think, and not a shammy's chain heal i know what that one looks like lol i donno what it was, it was a little while ago and my memorys crap lol well anyway i kicked him got a guildy in, not longed turned 80 so he had mostly blues and 1 or 2 low lvl epics n we flu right thru it no problem, alot of healers think just because they have really good gear means there gona be good because they don't have many moves too use so they just keep spamming the same ones over n over, and when ever it don't work the first thing they think is it's the tanks fault, im the main tank in my guild so i know what im doing and i still get told im a crap tank in pugs when things keep going wrong, and its always the healers thats the first to say it must be the tanks, but then again most tanks will be the first to say its the healer fault lol i'll admit when i make a mistake and cause a wipe, cuz lets face it everyone makes mistakes every now and then, my worst one is when i change specs, because i keep forgetting that when you change spec your presence gets reset so your not in one lol but like ppl are saying, ToC 5 HC is harder than any other HC well not so much harder as you just get hit harder, and for good reasons you get really good gear in there for a 5 man HC, even in the normal u can get really good gear, healers have alot more to do in ToC than they do in most of the other HCs, and alot of healers just not use to it for a 5 man run.

It is hard to be a good tank because tou have to know more about the bosses than everyone else, keep an eye on things just as much as a raid healers does and have more to do because your right in front of the boss at all times so tou have more to do than just keep slapping away with your sticks like dps'ers do or stand off at a nice safe distance and heal away, iv dps'ed pretty much everywhere and it is easier than tanking as im sure anyone else who has a tanking n dps spec or a tankin n healer spec or anyone who has different toon with different specs can tell you, that tanking is harder, i've also started a pally healer, while his only in his 40s atm i can already tell that i won't have as much 2 do as what i would do tanking. so just pay no notice to them and just keep doin what ur doin mate

vine
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
@Ltseb
I'm sure you have numerous insights in your post, however I suspect most people will never read it. Please put a little effort into your punctuation and grammar.

Ollin
11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
@Ltseb
I'm sure you have numerous insights in your post, however I suspect most people will never read it. Please put a little effort into your punctuation and grammar.

And paragraph breaks.

Don't forget those.

Ltseb
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
lol yea thx

ZakThePally
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I had this happen to my friend, I tank mainly and went ret so my friend could get Dps/tank gear. He is well overgeared for heroics, he even tanked some of ulduar. We had the healer ask if someone else could tank because he was getting hit hard. I said "It's not the tank its you only using flash heal." Really, if you are over 25k hp buffed and are holding aggro on the mobs then its most likely the healer.

ZakThePally
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
And by looking at your dps gear, I can tell your tank set is probably on par with your dps set.

Ltseb
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
as long as your mate was defence capped then yea 25k is plenty for HCs and some of the easies bosses in uld, healers never think its them thats the problem lol

Death Golem
11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
ok, i've been DK tanking for a while now, from level 55 i knew i wanted to be a DK tank (before i even made the toon even lol) though i tank with frost talent tree, opposed to your blood tank spec... based on a lot of what i've read, there are a few flaws with your gems and sigil.

i'd say the gemmed expertise is a bad idea as a tank, though it improves your threat, it's not much of a difference. Focus on stamina, same with the def rating gem, toss it.

another thing, obviously, the sigil is not exactly helping your avoidance, considering, at least according to wow-heroes.com, you have an item level 245 dps sigil equipped (Sigil of Virulence) try to get Sigil of Insolence (item level 245, effect: whenever you use Rune Strike, you have a chance to gain 200 dodge rating for 20 seconds) or Sigil of Deflection (item level 226, effect: Rune Strike grants 136 dodge rating for 5 seconds) or, if you're not def capped, there is also Sigil of the Unfaltering Knight (item level 200, effect: Your Icy Touch will also grant you 53 defense rating)

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arygos&n=Deathgolem)

now, i do agree with what most of the people are saying, blame the healer, not yourself, a motto i heard of not too long ago, from a guildy.

i'll answer any questions any of you other DK tanks out their might have, or at least try!