PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Weapon (Agi vs Str)

Nurasha
11-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey all

Regarding my tanking specs, I currently tank both frost (11-59-9) and blood (pvp/survival tank 59-5-7).

According to Rawr, an item simulator, my current weapon Fordragon Blades (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47834) the agi/ArP/1socket weapon from Anub 10 normal is supposed to be much better than even the Onyxia 25 2h Sharpened Obsidian Edged Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49498) in all aspects (survival, mitigation, tps), which I've been thinking much about. The stat differences are:

+146 Strength
+12 Stamina (Counting my +30 stm socket)
+69 Crit
+103 Expertise
-104 Agility
-62 Haste
-123 AtP
-86 ArP
(Please note that I have not calculated the AtP and parry gain from str and armor loss and crit loss from agi)

So I wonder. I currently have 24 expertise, which is quite a substantial amount if you add 103 exp rating, giving me a total expertise of (103rating / (8.2rating/point) + 24point = 37 expertise

In blood I have 5/5 bladed armor and frost I have 4/5 bladed (if you check my armory please note that I have temporarily changed my MS frost to a DW dps spec but it can be seen here at wowhead (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0vMZhgxzAbI0c0buzAo0gM:kapVmM). In blood I obviously have 3% extra strength which should also be accounted for.

Any "HALP!"? :) I would love if your answer isn't just "I prefer" but adding an explanation to it :) I was hunting many weapons such as the ony 2h, xt10hm and more until this, which made me very much doubt to the unsurity.

Wilhem
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Personally i'd go with the Ony 2H because of the expertise and massive strength. Also, the DPS is 20+ higher on the Ony weapon and you'll actually end up with more stam on it than you would if you added a +30 stam gem to the Fordragon blades (albeit only 2, but still).

Another thing is haste isn't exactly good for a tank, so it's kind of wasted on the Blades.

Lightshard
11-10-2009, 03:03 AM
It depends.
Does the Strength gain add to your raw TPS more than the loss to it from the loss of Crit? Also, your losing armor from the agility.

Depending on your expertise, you will most likely gain a massive threat buff from the Ony 2her, and that would be the weapon I would use.

Mainly, your losing the extra armor from the Polearm, but its so minor it doesn't factor in.

Nurasha
11-11-2009, 05:53 AM
It depends.
Does the Strength gain add to your raw TPS more than the loss to it from the loss of Crit? Also, your losing armor from the agility.

Depending on your expertise, you will most likely gain a massive threat buff from the Ony 2her, and that would be the weapon I would use.

Mainly, your losing the extra armor from the Polearm, but its so minor it doesn't factor in.

Yes I lose TPS from the crit, armor penetration and the talent Bladed Armor, which gives me attack power from armor. I have 23 expertise with my Fordragon, so I will be much over the soft cap. I suppose the only real way I can find out is by trying both in raids. Because the Ony 2h was my first intuitive choice also.

ghromorth
11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Obsidian is better because it gives more EH... even tho the ony one gives 10 more stamina (assuming you place blue epic sta gem in obsidian) and +20dps the EH generated by the +armor agi provides is superior to the extra health ony gives.

My suggestion: If you need TPS get the ony one, If you are squishy get Anub one.

Nurasha
11-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Obsidian is better because it gives more EH... even tho the ony one gives 10 more stamina (assuming you place blue epic sta gem in obsidian) and +20dps the EH generated by the +armor agi provides is superior to the extra health ony gives.

My suggestion: If you need TPS get the ony one, If you are squishy get Anub one.

But does the Ony 2h really give me more TPS? That would be my assumption also, but according to the simulator it does not..